Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Goodnight Sweet Bliss

Colorado Cavies

Cavy Slave
I can not describe how heart broken I am right now.

Bliss was fine two hours ago. She was eating and drinking, she was relaxed and even shoving her face into the same bowl as Gidget. Things were fine. And then my boyfriend comes bursting into the room and says she is on the floor twitching. We get her in a carrier and are at a vet in less than 5 minutes but 10 minutes later she was gone. We have no idea what happened. Matt said she screamed and ran from the food dish to the side of the cage and just started twitching. None of the other pigs touched her, she was whimpering the whole way to the vet.

The vet said there wasn't a mark on her so she wasn't hurt. It was just a freak thing. She would have been 3 in November. I never imagined we would lose her this soon. Bliss was my first guinea pig, she was beautiful and sweet and just adored her cage mate Nina.

Right now I'm sitting here remembering the day a receipt slid from the kitchen table into her cage. In the time it took me to set the mail down Bliss had claimed the receipt as her treasure and when I tried to take it back she hopped her way to the back of the cage, receipt firmly between her teeth and head held high, proud of her most amazing find. She wasn't very happy when I took it back the silly little thing.

She has many friends waiting for her. My heart is broken but I know she is somewhere that she'll never be in pain again.

I miss her so much already.

Rest in peace Blissy. November 2010-August 16th 2013

Goodnight Sweet Bliss

Bliss (Black and white) hanging out with her best friend Nina.

UchihaMickey

Cavy Slave
I'm so sorry for your loss.. sending good piggy thoughts your way!:love:

Colorado Cavies

Cavy Slave
Thank you. We are taking her to be cremated today. Running off two hours of sleep and grief right now.

Artista

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
So sorry for your loss. She is in piggy heaven now with many friends. I believe some day we will see ALL of our loved ones so cherish the memories and know she's in a good place.

I cremated my first pet/ bird and his framed photo and ashes in a nice box are on my end table. I feel he is near.

C. Cole-Chakotay

Cavy Slave
I'm so sorry. :(

alphilip77

Cavy Slave
I'm so sorry for your loss. Just take solace in the fact that you guaranteed her a caring, loving home and that her limited time on this earth was good. I know this is hard to answer as she just passed, but what do you think caused her passing? Do you believe she had a sudden stroke? Did she have any major ailments during her life? RIP Bliss

mufasa

Cavy Gazer
I'm very sorry to hear that. My sympathies go out to you. At least it was fairly fast, but that's really little comfort when you lose a beloved pet. At least with cremation you can keep her earthly remains near while she frolics at the Rainbow Bridge. My piggies are buried, but my cats are all in a nice wood box with their photos.

PiggieGuinea

Cavy Slave
RIP to little Bliss. I can tell she was much loved and will be much missed. She had a loving home and was promised you would do everything you could for her. Sudden deaths are hard, and I am sending prayers and hugs to you and your family. ♥

Colorado Cavies

Cavy Slave
Thank you everyone for the support. I feel very lucky that we have a place about an hour away that does pocket pet cremation for $35. It even comes with an actual urn. Mama was cremated there so we said we would by a different urn for Bliss but the guy said "I also have lot of these ones. We can use that instead if you like it." So that was nice of him. We can't buy any pets because we live in an apartment so when (and hopefully not for a long time) we lose another pig we will pay for another urn but that is fine with us. They also were able to take care of her in less than an hour. We thought it would take a few days so this was a pleasant surprise.

Before we took her to be cremated we picked her up from the vet, they kept her overnight in the freezer, and after making sure they didn't put anything on her body my boyfriend told me he wanted us to take her home and let Nina see her body. He had read that it helps pigs to realize what happened and supposedly makes them less prone to depression then a sudden disappearance of a friend. I don't know if it will help with depression or not but I can say it broke my hear all over again.

We put a towel down in their cage and laid Bliss on top of it. Nina glanced over at Bliss but didn't go up to hear right away. After a minute or two she seemed to realize something was wrong and she started walking around the towel. A minute later she walked onto the towel and started sniffing at Bliss. And then she started chewing on her. I laughed and said "Nina you fat b***h leave your poor sister alone." (we give Nina lots of crap but it's out of love) Nina loved to groom Bliss. It's such a normal thing that it took me a minute to realize that this was her grieving. At first she nibbled at her, Bliss didn't respond so she tugged at her fur harder. And then she stopped for a second, sniffed around some more and then started giving Bliss a bath. We let her go for a few minutes but I was worried about her ingesting too much fur.

Even Gidget came to say goodbye. She sniffed at Bliss quite thoroughly and then sat right next to Nina while she was grooming Bliss. Though we may not entirely understand their level of understanding animals do recognize death and they do grieve.

Colorado Cavies

Cavy Slave
I'm so sorry for your loss. Just take solace in the fact that you guaranteed her a caring, loving home and that her limited time on this earth was good. I know this is hard to answer as she just passed, but what do you think caused her passing? Do you believe she had a sudden stroke? Did she have any major ailments during her life? RIP Bliss

Yes that seems to have been the cause. When my boyfriend found her she was rolling on the floor of the cage. By the time I got there she was on her side in a very unnatural position that never changed until she died. Even in the carrier she was like that. She was clearly in a lot of pain. So it was either a seizure or a stoke as far as we can tell. She had never been sick a day in her life. This came out of no where.

alphilip77

Cavy Slave
@Colorado Cavies: Thanks for the insight. Whenever someone writes of their guinea pig (or other small animal) passing suddenly, I try to gather as much info as I can so I can attempt to better understand the nature of their passing and see if there are any preventative measures that can be taken to prevent these kinds of ailments. Again, you have my sympathies and condolences. Be strong and God Bless.

RodentsRus

Cavy Star, Video Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Sorry for you loss..Could there have been something in the food dish?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.