Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Re-design of Hutch Survey - Please Help!

RebeccaCarter92

Cavy Gazer
Hi,

I am a final year Engineering Student at Loughborough University, and for my project I am developing a guinea pig hutch that is able to move around the garden autonomously. This is to remove the need of moving the hutch to fresh grass outside.
If you could please take a few minutes to complete my user survey then this would greatly benefit the design.

(broken link removed)

Kind Regards,

Rebecca Carter

pinky

Cavy Slave
No offense, but this site does not advocate the use of outdoor hutches to house guinea pigs. There are too many possible risks such as predators, insects and inclement weather. Hutches can be used to allow them access to fresh air while someone is out there with them but an indoor cage is a better choice.

Fay

Cavy Slave
I second what pinky said, hutches aren't appropriate housing for guinea pigs.

@RebeccaCarter92 Perhaps, rather than creating an outdoor hutch you could develop an indoor cage that is sturdier and can assemble itself or is easier to assemble?

Right now C & C cages are the only easier to use and find materials for appropriately sized guinea pig cages. If you were able to design one that could be more easily unfolded and expanded, as well as more attractive looking. Then I think there would actually be a market for that.

Right now you have to slot every individual grid together and make the Coroplast bottom separately. If these could somehow be easily foldable that would make it easier. Maybe also with build in table legs so you don't have to make a table to size. Using more attractive material as well, chunky grids aren't the most beautiful to look at.

Basically, there's a lot of innovation that could be done here and I think plenty of people would like that option.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.