Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hay Any green hay this year??

barbaramudge

Cavy Slave
Hay delivery from SPS.
Any green hay this year??

I think it looks pretty good. Smells wonderful. I paid .96 a pound for 50 pounds.

Artista

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
SV has less brown which is great because I have this thing about putting brown in the cage. I am very pleasantly surprised how little.

barbaramudge

Cavy Slave
SV has less brown which is great because I have this thing about putting brown in the cage. I am very pleasantly surprised how little.

I'd love to see some pictures! Given the insane price difference (over double) there would have to be NO brown at all to make it worth it to me and even then I'm not sure I'd do it.

Artista

Cavy Slave
Any green hay this year??Sierra Valley 2nd cut orchard grass. 10 lb

barbaramudge

Cavy Slave
Yeah that doesn't look that much better than mine once it's fluffed up. If prices were the same I'd do it but not for that much. That's just me of course. I'm glad you found something you love!

barbaramudge

Cavy Slave
Too late for me to change my mind now. I'm sorta' with Arista as a result of my two bad years in a row with KMS. At the best or worst price, I just wanted something that met with Chip's, Sparky's......and my approval while we shop for the ultimate source.

Let's not try to "one-up" each other on the hay issue......nah, nah, nah....my hay is better than yours.lol (teasing, of course) I think our mutual goal is to combine forces and find the best hay at the best price....agreed?

Absolutely! My apologies because that's not how I intended to come across. I think so many factors go into choosing the best hay for you and your pigs. For me, while I need it to be mostly green for them to eat it, price is a factor because my pigs get pig piles so there is a fair amount of "waste". I couldn't afford to pay for 20 pounds what I pay for 50. That's just my situation though. If I had maybe 2 pigs and used a hay bag only then my choice would be different. I appreciate seeing pictures and others thoughts on it! I certainly don't feel like my hay is better, just the better choice for me. Again, my apologies if it came across as me trying to one up, as that was never my intention.

CavyHouse

Cavy Slave
Hay can be so frustrating because of the inconsistency of it. Just about the time that you think you've found a great source, they'll have some not-so-great hay come in. My friend is pretty happy with the Sierra Valley hay. I can't afford to buy online because I'll go through a few hundred pounds in a few months. My rescue would go broke. I just bought 3 bales (roughly 300 pounds) in January and it's almost gone. So I have to drive around to a few different hay dealers in the area and sample the bales to see if they're good. Hay by the bale in the San Francisco bay area costs much more than other areas, but it's still around $25 for a 100 pound bale. So 25 cents/pound isn't bad but it does take work to scout out good hay.

Artista

Cavy Slave
Hay can be so frustrating because of the inconsistency of it. Just about the time that you think you've found a great source, they'll have some not-so-great hay come in. My friend is pretty happy with the Sierra Valley hay. I can't afford to buy online because I'll go through a few hundred pounds in a few months. My rescue would go broke. I just bought 3 bales (roughly 300 pounds) in January and it's almost gone. So I have to drive around to a few different hay dealers in the area and sample the bales to see if they're good. Hay by the bale in the San Francisco bay area costs much more than other areas, but it's still around $25 for a 100 pound bale. So 25 cents/pound isn't bad but it does take work to scout out good hay.

I was surprised at SPS. That was the most consistent one of being the greenest. Then I got the 10 lbs. The top looked ok with some browns but then as I got deeper in I found more browns and pieces, some of which aren't even pieces Mooshy would touch. I'll probably stay with Sierra Valley. I loved the quick delivery since I tossed the rest of SPS out.

How is my buddy (is his name Louie?) doing? The one in your living area. Such a cute and friendly guy.

CavyHouse

Cavy Slave
You must be talking about Lucas, the little black and white bobblehead super-friendly piggy who walks in circles at times. My son moved out and took Lucas with him. Lucas is doing great after having some health issues earlier this year. It's pretty funny because my son's parrot is scared of Lucas, who is the most harmless creature in the world, and the parrot can be a bit of a bully.

I'm starting to think that as the online hay companies start up that they can get enough top quality hay to please everyone but as they get more popular they have a harder time finding enough top quality hay for all their new customers so some of the browner hay starts getting in.

Artista

Cavy Slave
You must be talking about Lucas, the little black and white bobblehead super-friendly piggy who walks in circles at times. My son moved out and took Lucas with him. Lucas is doing great after having some health issues earlier this year. It's pretty funny because my son's parrot is scared of Lucas, who is the most harmless creature in the world, and the parrot can be a bit of a bully.

I'm starting to think that as the online hay companies start up that they can get enough top quality hay to please everyone but as they get more popular they have a harder time finding enough top quality hay for all their new customers so some of the browner hay starts getting in.

Oh yeah, Lucas! Such a cutie. I wanted to steal him! You go Lucas! I hope Lucas continues to thrive. That is one lovable piggy!

sstickly22

Cavy Slave
I am also from Michigan and I just priced out 10 lbs of Orchard Hay from SMS and Sierra and there is only a 5 dollar difference Does anyone have an opinion on which one i should order since the difference is not an issue?

barbaramudge

Cavy Slave
I'm about ready to bite the leg of the FedEx driver! My hay was supposed to be delivered today, but when I checked online, the last update was when it left Reno on Wednesday. Oh, well, there's still 50 minutes left in the day.

Did you get your hay?

barbaramudge

Cavy Slave
I am also from Michigan and I just priced out 10 lbs of Orchard Hay from SMS and Sierra and there is only a 5 dollar difference Does anyone have an opinion on which one i should order since the difference is not an issue?

More than 5 dollar difference with SPS coupon code. 10 pounds for 25$ vs $42.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'm pig-sitting two pigs, and their owner just had a box of SPS timothy delivered to my door. Very fresh and green. I think I'll go reorder my next 40 pound box now!

sstickly22

Cavy Slave
I was unaware are any discount code?

barbaramudge

Cavy Slave
BetterHay is the code I've been using.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
Mine love SPS 3rd cut Timothy! Even Paul Blackfoot. As you can see, the piggies are use to him and he eats its a few times a day. If the cage is closed, he uncovers the box of hay and eats it from the source.

Any green hay this year??Any green hay this year??

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.