Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Nails

peachyteen

Cavy Slave
I wanna get a nail file for my two girls, rather than clipping their nails. Olive has all black nails and Peanut has 3 feet with black nails, so I'm very nervous about clipping their nails. I have trimmed their nails about 3 times, but the girls dislike having it done, as much as I hate doing it lol

Would a glass, metal, or one of the paper type ones work best? How often should I replace the file?

piggielife

Cavy Slave
I'm following this .... looking forward to hearing the responses. My boys HATE nail clipping time.

peachyteen

Cavy Slave
I'm following this .... looking forward to hearing the responses. My boys HATE nail clipping time.
Peanut always nips at me or the clippers, Olive just squirms, which makes it impossible to clip her nails.

Rywen

Cavy Slave
I just take mine to the vet, it takes 2 people to clip Ferb's nails, one to hold him still and cram a carrot in his mouth and one to clip.

peachyteen

Cavy Slave
I just take mine to the vet, it takes 2 people to clip Ferb's nails, one to hold him still and cram a carrot in his mouth and one to clip.
Unfortunately, the closest (good) exotic vet is about 45 min away, and we don't have enough money to get it done. We do have enough for a vet visit if/when needed, but we can't afford spending our vet/piggy money on nail clipping when it's something I can take care at home.

LoveMyPigs25

Cavy Slave
I have five sows that all hate nail clipping. What I've found that works pretty good is to take a piece of fleece and wrap them up like you are swaddling a baby. Of course leave their head out and the one foot I want to work on.
I think it helps them feel more secure and they stay still. As I finished a foot I will wrap that one in and take another out.
i also hold them in my lap close to my body while trimming nails. Works for me.

peachyteen

Cavy Slave
I have five sows that all hate nail clipping. What I've found that works pretty good is to take a piece of fleece and wrap them up like you are swaddling a baby. Of course leave their head out and the one foot I want to work on.
I think it helps them feel more secure and they stay still. As I finished a foot I will wrap that one in and take another out.
I'll try that, thank you!

Piggly12

Cavy Slave
When I trim nails, I put the piggy on a table, next the edge so that one front and one hind foot is at the edge. This way, I can access 2 feet while the pig is in the same place. I put a mound of veg by their head to distract them, and gently pick up 1 foot and hold it in my left thumb + forefinger. Then I get someone else to shine a mini reading light up through their nails towards me, so that I can see the quick, and gently snip their nails in the right place.
@peachyteen, my Parsley pig tries to eat the clippers as well! One of my others (I have 3) just tries to lick the clippers (or just about anything else she can reach) :)

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
I understand your desire to use something to make clipping nail easier. I don't think a guinea pig would like filing any better than clipping, though, and still struggle.

There are as many different ways to clip nails as there are guinea pigs! People find a method that works for them and stick to it. I prefer to use the small animal clippers, while others prefer human toenail clippers. I like to hold the guinea pig on my lap, upright with his back to my stomach, with all four feet sticking out.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave

I do the same and with the black nails, I just allow them to stay a little longer. But I do clip them and a sliver at a time until I feel enough came off.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.