Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Eyes/Non-crusty Cloudy eye/Can't close eye

ebrix

Cavy Slave
The beginning of January my guinea pig was tilting his head and a few days after I noticed his eye wasn't able to close. I took him to the vet, she checked his teeth, and took x-rays and showed that he had nothing and that it was maybe a severe ear infection, so she gave me medication and drops to keep his eyes moisturized. After a week of medication, his ear got a lot better but his eye still can't close, we went to the vet again after that week and the vet told me to keep him on his current medication, during those two weeks of medication his eye turned blueish/cloudy. Right now I'm still giving him medication, his eye still won't close and I am scared they might take have his eye out. Has anyone experienced this? Should I be giving him more eye drops? Any help is greatly appreciated.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Is this an exotic vet? Small animal (dog and cat) vets aren't trained to treat guinea pigs.

He could have glaucoma, or a hay poke, or an abscessed tooth, or elongated tooth roots, or something else. He's undoubtedly in pain, so I hope she's given him pain medication. And two weeks of medication that doesn't work is way too long.

I'd get him to a better vet ASAP.

ebrix

Cavy Slave
She said his teeth weren't the problem. He's acting normal, eating and pooping normally.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Did she x-ray his skull? If she didn't, she can't say for sure that the problem isn't the teeth.

ebrix

Cavy Slave
She did and said everything was normal, she also did some blood work and said that came back normal too.

MrCavyMadness

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
@bpatters, is there any chance the pig is going blind? I know in other animals, the bluish cloudy eyes can signify that.. Just a thought..

Soecara

Cavy Slave
@MrCavyMadness The issue with that theory is usually conditions that cause blindness affect both eyes not just one. If it is only one eye affected it is usually some kind of injury or damage to the eye or an infection in the eye that has caused the cloudiness. My concern if he can't close the eye is that there is something stuck under his eyelid or that there is something going on with the tissue of the eye socket.

I would definitely want him seen by a different vet, at the very least they can examine the eye for abrasions and perhaps prescribe a different eye ointment or drop.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
There is a possibility that the pig is, or will be, blind. They usually cope very will with that as long as the cage furniture stays in the same place so they can learn to navigate around it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.