Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece New to sewing, looking for machine

aNervousFlower

Cavy Slave
So I'm new to sewing, and looking for a very basic machine that I can use to make things for my sweet piggies :eek:
I've found a machine that I can get for a decent price, but I just want to make sure it has all the capability I'll need. I'm mainly planning on using fleece and UHaul blankets. Would I need to get other accessories for it to do what I'll need?

https://www.brother.ca/en-CA/had/3/productdetail/ls30

Last edited:

chardonay1234

Cavy Slave
I am a newbie to this site (getting lots of info and ideas for daughter's first piggy) but not new to sewing. I'm planning on picking up a Walking Foot for my machine next week. Anytime you are sewing something thicker or with more than two layers you really need one. They cost about $25 or so. I'm going to take my regular presser foot off of my machine and take it with me, there are two kinds of walking foots and I want to make sure I get the one that will fit on my machine.

PeeweesPiggyPalace

Removed
Cavy Gazer
I've been sewing for 20+ years.. I have tried a walking foot with fleece and for me it is no good. I just bump up my stitch length one and works great :) try it first.. No money wasted ;)

chardonay1234

Cavy Slave
I've been sewing for 20+ years.. I have tried a walking foot with fleece and for me it is no good. I just bump up my stitch length one and works great :) try it first.. No money wasted ;)

Are you sewing just the fleece into something or sewing multiple layers like you would do to make pads?

PrincessAngel

Cavy Slave
I've never used a walking foot with my thick layers. However I highly recommend buying heavy duty needles as opposed to normal ones. Whenever I try sewing piggy things with normal needles I break them... I've been using the same heavy duty needle for months now without breaking it :).

I personally use a Singer sewing machine, it's a "Promise" I got it from Target for under $100 (I think it was around $80) and I have no issues or complaints with it, because usually any problem I have is my own fault! It's super easy to use and it is pretty basic.

soopermum62

Cavy Slave
I prefer to use either size 16 or 18 needles on my machine on for fleece or denim fabrics or even multiple layers of broadcloth. I personally prefer Singer machines myself. I have a basic (to me) Kenmore brand (made for Kenmore by Singer) and I have my eye on a new Singer machine with all the bells and whistles (quilting and embroidery) once I get my mending business off the ground. The machine you have linked to looks like a good machine to start with, You will need some extra bobbins. Other than that it looks like it comes with everything you need.

PeeweesPiggyPalace

Removed
Cavy Gazer
Are you sewing just the fleece into something or sewing multiple layers like you would do to make pads?
Both.. Lots if layers and just 2 pieces of fleece at other times :)

chardonay1234

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the info. I was planning on picking one up but I will give your advise a try.

PeeweesPiggyPalace

Removed
Cavy Gazer
Thanks for the info. I was planning on picking one up but I will give your advise a try.

Doesn't hurt to try.. No money wasted if it works for you :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.