Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Puppy Pads Puppy Pads as Absorbent Layer

PiggieLover101

Cavy Slave
Hello!

I've just started using fleece in my cage after years of using bedding. I love the cleaner look and how it keeps the surface dry. However, I've been using puppy pads as an absorbent layer, and old towels underneath just in case, but I find that if my piggies pee in one spot a lot, the puppy pads start to keep the pee on the surface (not visibly, I have to feel for it) and soak through the fleece, therefore defeating the purpose.
I test the fleece under puppy pads before I use, so I know it's not a wicking problem. And I at least want to use up what I have currently, but do you think I should put towels on top of the puppy pads, or maybe use something else? It is just in the problem areas where this happens, like under their hay.

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
Are these the disposable pads? If so I think they’re too thin to hold much. I use washable incontinence pads and have not had a problem with wet fleece or leaking. They can be ordered from a variety of sources at a pretty good price. I have 4 of the 24”x36” and I use two to cover my 2x3 grid floor with a little overlap.

Also, I use homemade wee pads with fleece on top, an absorbent layer in the middle, and fabric on the back. They can be the size of a sheet of paper up to the size of a placemat. Throw them in the corners and place hay on them. That’s where most guinea pigs wee. Then each day shake them out and throw them in the laundry.

PiggieLover101

Cavy Slave
Are these the disposable pads? If so I think they’re too thin to hold much. I use washable incontinence pads and have not had a problem with wet fleece or leaking. They can be ordered from a variety of sources at a pretty good price. I have 4 of the 24”x36” and I use two to cover my 2x3 grid floor with a little overlap.

Also, I use homemade wee pads with fleece on top, an absorbent layer in the middle, and fabric on the back. They can be the size of a sheet of paper up to the size of a placemat. Throw them in the corners and place hay on them. That’s where most guinea pigs wee. Then each day shake them out and throw them in the laundry.

Yes, they’re the disposable ones. They do seem to be too thin. We used to have them under bedding to catch any extra pee and it worked great, but now having them as the first line of defense is not working too well. In my Midwest cage it seems fine, but my smaller temp cage (I had to separate my girls) it is not, probably because it is a pet store cage & there is not a lot of places to pee. I may just use bedding in the temp cage until the stuff for my C&C cage comes in. If it doesn’t seem to work in my Midwest cage for much longer, I’ll definitely invest in the incontinence pads, I’ve heard good things about them and the U-Haul pads.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.