Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Injury Scratch on chin near mouth, need help with treatment

HunterRose13

Cavy Slave
Nutter Butter either scratched or poked his chin and I need help treating it. I have thoroughly cleaned the area with a warm, damp cloth and trimmed back the hair. He has a scab but keeps scratching it.

I am trying to figure out the best course of treatment. I checked Guinea Lynx and read that antibacterial and antiseptic cream must not be ingested and with the scratch so close to his mouth I am very afraid of using it.

I believe I need a surgery cone for him, but until it arrives what can I do to help keep the scratch from getting worse?

TheGuineaPigGal

Cavy Slave
I need to know exactly where the scratch is.

HunterRose13

Cavy Slave
Approximately 1/4" below his bottom lip is the location of the scratch.

TheGuineaPigGal

Cavy Slave
He probably would not like this, but you can wrap him up in a towel and wrap an ice pack up in a towel, and apply the ice pack that is wrapped up in a tower to the site. But, remember a general rule with icing, 10 min on, 10 min off. I saw this at online,https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/homeopet-skin-and-itch-relief-for-pets I don´t know if it is safe for guinea pigs, @bpatters or @Guinea Pig Papa, do you know? It says it is safe for rabbits, so I would assume it is safe for guinea pigs, it is like benadryl for animals it appears. It has a conversion table, including instructions for animals less than 1 lbs. I wouldn't get it until I hear a response from @bpatters or @Guinea Pig Papa.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Your link didn't work, [MENTION=45903]TheGuineaPigGal[/MENTION], so I couldnt see what you were referring to.

If the scratch is BELOW his mouth, I wouldn't think he could ingest any of the medication. Just make sure you apply it sparingly, and rub it in well.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You don't need to ice it unless there's heat and swelling.

Get a triple antibiotic cream (from any pharmacy), and apply it sparingly twice a day using a q-tip. Rub it in well so he can't ingest any. And keep an eye on it. That should take care of it. But if you see any swelling at all, or any redness or pus, then get him to a vet ASAP.

I wouldn't use the stuff in that link.

But are you sure it's a scab? A scab could easily be scratched off. On the other hand, if it's boar glue, it can't be scratched off, and will be there for a while. Is it possible for you to post a picture?

HunterRose13

Cavy Slave
You don't need to ice it unless there's heat and swelling.

Get a triple antibiotic cream (from any pharmacy), and apply it sparingly twice a day using a q-tip. Rub it in well so he can't ingest any. And keep an eye on it. That should take care of it. But if you see any swelling at all, or any redness or pus, then get him to a vet ASAP.

I wouldn't use the stuff in that link.

But are you sure it's a scab? A scab could easily be scratched off. On the other hand, if it's boar glue, it can't be scratched off, and will be there for a while. Is it possible for you to post a picture?

I am sure it is not boar glue. Red dry scab for sure. No swelling. I cleaned it up well sunday and it appears he had a scratch or poke and he keeps scratching the scab and opening it again.

I'll go the antibiotic cream route. I was concerned about him ingesting it. I'll rub it in well and make sure to keep it away from his bottom lip. I do have a small bit of room between the scratch and his mouth.

I will try to get pictures tonight or tomorrow and report back.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
He may have had boar glue on his chin, and then ripped it off by scratching. There's a very good possibility that that's what happened here. Ripping it off suddenly would almost certainly cause an abrasion in that location.

HunterRose13

Cavy Slave
He may have had boar glue on his chin, and then ripped it off by scratching. There's a very good possibility that that's what happened here. Ripping it off suddenly would almost certainly cause an abrasion in that location.

I believe you are right! I started thinking about cleaning his chin up and I am all but certain there was boar glue in the fur near the scratch. I am going to give the area a thorough cleaning again and carefully apply antibiotic cream and work it in. Unfortatuenly I am at work today and have to come in again tomorrow. I have the weekend off and work from home at least Monday so I can really keep on top of this.

Thoughts on a protective ring/cone to keep him from scratching it?

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
A cone would be guaranteed to annoy him. It may prevent him from eating and drinking properly, would prevent him from going in/out of hideys and other problems I can't think of. Unless he REALLY opens it up badly, I wouldn't bother.

HunterRose13

Cavy Slave
A cone would be guaranteed to annoy him. It may prevent him from eating and drinking properly, would prevent him from going in/out of hideys and other problems I can't think of. Unless he REALLY opens it up badly, I wouldn't bother.

My wife said the same thing about the cone. I'll focus on treatment and keeping the area clean. The actual scratch is small and I hope if I stay on top of things it will clear up sooner rather than later.

HunterRose13

Cavy Slave
I am certain it was boar glue in his fur that he scratched out. I was able to clean the area very well last night and get the rest of the boar glue out from the surrounding fur and apply antibiotic cream. I checked his chin this morning and it was clean, no scab spots. Applying the antibiotic cream twice a day until it is well healed. I believe boar glue could be used to patch a drive way. I did not have to deal with boar glue with my girls.

HunterRose13

Cavy Slave
Long past due for an update on Mr. Nutter Butter. He is doing well and totally spoiled. The scratch actually did much better when I went from treating it twice a day to once a day. Other than a bit of boar stink the wife has even warmed up to him. Butter is enjoying lap time every night with the wife every night and is terribly annoyed with me when it is time for bed and I have to take him off a warm lap and return him to his condo.

My long delayed update has been in no small part to a series of unfortunate events. We had to put a dog we were fostering down and I am around two months from my office closing and having to find a new job. Both of those have been pretty big wet blankets. Our dog and our oldest cat are also very much seniors and showing drastic slow downs. Not to the point of saying good bye just yet, but certainly indicative that day is getting much closer. Lots of un fun stuff, but at least for the moment Mr. B is doing well.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
SO happy to hear a positive update on Nutter Butter, I've been hoping he's been doing well.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.