Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Lump Lump on Chest Need Advice

GypsyGirl

Cavy Slave
I have a Guinea Pig that has a golf ball size lump on the right side of his chest under his neck. It basically came on over night. I took him to the vet where they drained it and took a culture. The vet was unsure what it was or caused from. The prelimanary results on the culture was that it was sterile, not caused by bacteria. Vet said could be caused by tooth root but really didn't know. Roger is one year old and has chronic health issues. I've spent over $700 since August on vet bills with the last visit costing me $237 and still no relief or answers for him. The vet also mentioned surgery to remove the lump so it doesn't keep filling up and coming back. I need to know for sure what's going on with him before I subject him to surgery. I'm at my wits end.

He's still eating good but having a little trouble bending down. He's becoming off center because of the weight and tips easily if his cage mate bumps him to move.

My question is, has anyone else had this problem and what was the cause and solution? I'm taking him to another vet next week for yet another guess. Any advice?

Agrimony

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I wish I could help but I am not familiar with this. I really hope all goes well though

GypsyGirl

Cavy Slave
Ok, since Roger had his bump drained nothing has changed. It's actually gotten worse. I'm trying to take matters into my own hands. Has anyone treated these lumps with Colloidal Silver? I was on Peter Gurney's website. He gives advice on draining the wound, cleaning with hydrogen peroxide and using Colloidal Silver. It just so happens my friend who owns a horse farm had some. I put it on tonight, so now it's a waiting game. Also, on the website he said he never uses oral antibiotics to treat this condition. Has anyone went this route of treatment and was it successful?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Has he had dental x-rays?

If he has a dental abscess, colloidal silver isn't likely to do anything for it. If he has cervical lymphadenitis, it's very contagious, and again, the colloidal silver isn't apt to do much.

And is this an exotic vet that's treating him?

GypsyGirl

Cavy Slave
I've had him to 3 vets! And yes, they are small animal vets. I've quizzed all of them and their knowledge. I've had his teeth checked but he hasn't had an X-ray. If he had a dental abscess would he still be eating? The last vet I seen is recommending surgery but I told her that we don't even know what we are up against. Why would I put him through that. If his labs came back as not caused by bacteria because no there was no growth, why would he have pus? That's infection.. I'm confussed and even asked the vet that and she kind of danced around the question. Why is it so hard to get answers for these guinea pigs? I'm going to research the cervical lymphadenitis. I've never heard of that. Thank You!

GypsyGirl

Cavy Slave
I looked up cervical lymphadenitis and it's bacterial..? Wouldn't that have shown up in his labs?

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
Does the lump seem to be attached to anything? I had a pig with an abscess on his jaw that seemed to come on over night but didn't, actually - the lump was the size of a golf ball and the vet thought it was a dental abscess, but when he got into the mouth he realized there weren't any teeth that were causing the issue. It took several weeks and a combination of antibiotics but after it was drained (surgically) he recovered completely. I have had a couple pigs with abscesses on the jaw/neck that recovered.

What are the chronic health issues you refer to?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Small animal vets and exotic vets are not the same thing. Small animal vets usually treat dogs and cats, while exotic vets treat small furry pocket pets, reptiles and birds. I'd want to be sure he's being seen by a good exotic vet. You could look for vet recommendations at Guinea Pig Cages, Care, Shelters, Veterinarians - Guinea Pig Zone or at www.guinealynx.info.

What you're describing does sound a lot like cervical lymphadenitis or some other kind of abscess. It's possible to have a sterile abscess, but unlikely for it to just occur at some place other than an injection site. It's hard to say why they didn't find bacteria if it really is CL, but I suppose it's possible.

They can't really check his teeth properly without an x-ray. There's no way to know if he has a root abscess unless they x-ray him.

Hhbean

Cavy Slave
Our Fluffy had something similar happen, large golf ball sized lump on her throat and 2 smaller bean sized lumps also. Lucky for me, our vet diagnosed it as swollen lymph nodes and treated her with oral medication. She had no signs of a URI or anything else. It took 7 days for it to go down. We had let her and our other 6 piggies eat grass from the back yard and she may have had an allergy to it because weeks later it happened again(not as big this time) right after she ate grass. None of the other piggies had problems and no pesticides were used on the yard.
You might want to talk to an exotic vet about the possibility of that. I hope it turns out that he just has allergies.

GypsyGirl

Cavy Slave
The lump doesn't seem attached. It moves around. A smaller lump has disappeared. But he still has the large one.
The chronic health issues I refer to are URI, which he's had twice in a year. Mouth sores that he seems to keep. He's had lice twice, mites once. His eyes also seems watery all the time. I've changed things but everything stays the same. I have 5 pigs and he is the only one I ever have to worry about. He's been fragile since I adopted him. His brother passed from an URI. I've already been worried about keeping him alive through winter. He's that fragile!

Peggysu

Cavy Slave
I don't have any advice other then what's been said about making sure to find a exotic that pretty much only sees exotic pets. I drive two and a half hours to a good exotic vet, it seems like a lot but I want a competent vet that sees guinea pigs often so that when an issue arises I know it will be handled.

Have you posted this on guinealynx?

Annmarie

Cavy Gazer
My guinea, Mocha has a golf size lump in the same place you are describing. It does not bother her and she still eats, drinks and plays with the other guineas. I went on guinealynx to find some answers and it is common for guinea pigs to get little fatty tumors that do not effect their quality of life. I hope everything turns out okay for you and your little boy.

Peggysu

Cavy Slave
My guinea, Mocha has a golf size lump in the same place you are describing. It does not bother her and she still eats, drinks and plays with the other guineas. I went on guinealynx to find some answers and it is common for guinea pigs to get little fatty tumors that do not effect their quality of life. I hope everything turns out okay for you and your little boy.

Have you been to a vet to have a diagnosis that it's a fatty tumor? Pigs hide pain and sickness very well, sometimes they show no symptoms until they are really sick.

Annmarie

Cavy Gazer
I took her in and the vet said it looks seems like a fatty tumor and to weigh her daily and keep on eye on her for about a week to make sure she isn't losing weight because they do go down hill so quickly.

GypsyGirl

Cavy Slave
UPDATE: I took Roger to yet another vet, the 4th one to be exact. A wonderful exotic vet in Kettering,OH.. Wish I found him a year ago. Roger was examined and it was determined the lump was not a cyst or had anything to do with his teeth. He was put on Baytril and Benebac Gel. His lump was previously drained and Colloidal Silver is still being put on him twice a day. His bump is barely there and he is starting to feel like himself again. The Baytril makes him not want to eat regularly but I give him extra salad and I have syringe fed him Critical Care once.
I don't know if anyone else has heard this, but the vet also told me that some pigs get these lumps due to the lack of uv rays. My pigs live in a room with a picture window but I sometimes have to close the blinds in the afternoon because it gets too bright for my two pigs with red eyes. I'm now searching for full spectrum lights for their pig palace.

Kritastrophe

Cavy Slave
UPDATE: I took Roger to yet another vet, the 4th one to be exact. A wonderful exotic vet in Kettering,OH.. Wish I found him a year ago. Roger was examined and it was determined the lump was not a cyst or had anything to do with his teeth. He was put on Baytril and Benebac Gel. His lump was previously drained and Colloidal Silver is still being put on him twice a day. His bump is barely there and he is starting to feel like himself again. The Baytril makes him not want to eat regularly but I give him extra salad and I have syringe fed him Critical Care once.
I don't know if anyone else has heard this, but the vet also told me that some pigs get these lumps due to the lack of uv rays. My pigs live in a room with a picture window but I sometimes have to close the blinds in the afternoon because it gets too bright for my two pigs with red eyes. I'm now searching for full spectrum lights for their pig palace.

That's good info to know, as my piggies probably don't get a great deal of natural light from the window in their room. Thanks for sharing!

GypsyGirl

Cavy Slave
I thought I would share that bit of info. I wish I would have known. I thought I've heard of everything but this was the first for the uv rays.

GypsyGirl

Cavy Slave
Has he had dental x-rays?

If he has a dental abscess, colloidal silver isn't likely to do anything for it. If he has cervical lymphadenitis, it's very contagious, and again, the colloidal silver isn't apt to do much.

And is this an exotic vet that's treating him?

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
I don't know if anyone else has heard this, but the vet also told me that some pigs get these lumps due to the lack of uv rays.

I have never heard anything like this before. I would need more information. What was the content of the lump? Was it an abscess? I do not see how a guinea pig would abscess because it didn't get sunlight.

GypsyGirl

Cavy Slave
UPDATE: Roger ended up having to have surgery this week. His abcess reduced in size while he was on antibiotics but once he was off it gradually enlarged. It started to push up into his nasal cavity and he had drainage coming out of one side of his nostril.
He did good through the surgery and has a drainage tube stitched into him. Roger is now on Baytril for 14 days, Benebac Plus and we have to clean his tube with Betadine(diluted). Even Though it's only been 2 days post surgery I'm seeing signs of the old Rog. Pushing his boy around and trying to court the girls next door til he passes out.
The picture I posted is of his drainage tube. His skin is stretched out from the abcess. It was almost dragging the ground when he walked. I will post pics when it's out. Roger Post Surgery.jpg

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.