Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

This is Long Overdue!

topaz259

Cavy Slave
Hey guys, I've been on the forum for like two months and never properly introduced myself. lol So, I'm topaz259, and I'm a new piggy owner. I have a male guinea pig named Wesley who is about 3 1/2 months old, I've had him for about 2 1/2 months. The picture below is of him when I first got him, at about 1 month old. The second picture is of him eating, taken at around the same time. (Don't worry, that's his playpen, I don't keep him there) The little guy is very energetic and loves to popcorn. He makes the cutest noises whenever he hears his food bag, haha! I also have a 10 year old dog who seems to think he's her puppy and cries whenever he's out of her sight.
New Size Wesley.jpgWesley Eating.jpg
I'm looking forward to getting to know you all! :)

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum family!

I'm just curious, but does Wesley have a buddy, or might he have?

topaz259

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum family!

I'm just curious, but does Wesley have a buddy, or might he have?

Thank you! Not yet, but I've been talking to my mom and she says it's a possibility. I've found a guinea pig shelter nearby that I plan on going to to find him a girlfriend once I convince my parents. For now, I'm just spoiling him rotten. :)

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Thank you! Not yet, but I've been talking to my mom and she says it's a possibility. I've found a guinea pig shelter nearby that I plan on going to to find him a girlfriend once I convince my parents. For now, I'm just spoiling him rotten. :)

Kudos to you for wanting to get him a buddy, but unless hes already neutered (and given his age, I doubt it) dont get a female. You'll have babies before you know it.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Please don't get him a girl friend unless she's spayed or he's neutered. Guinea pigs are prone to several painful/fatal genetic diseases. Pregnancy and labor are very hard on the sows, and the death rate for sows and pups is high. There are enough accidental pregnancies in guinea pigs to keep to species going without another pig ever being deliberately bred.

Soecara

Cavy Slave

Sounds like a plan, just make sure your local shelter has spayed sows that you can choose from or have your boy neutered at least 4 weeks before getting him a girlfriend. Also see if the shelter will allow meet and greets before you adopt, so you can take him in and see if he gets along with his potential new companion before you bring them home.

topaz259

Cavy Slave
Kudos to you for wanting to get him a buddy, but unless hes already neutered (and given his age, I doubt it) dont get a female. You'll have babies before you know it.
Don't worry, the local shelter spays/neuters all of their pigs, so she'll be spayed.

topaz259

Cavy Slave
Please don't get him a girl friend unless she's spayed or he's neutered. Guinea pigs are prone to several painful/fatal genetic diseases. Pregnancy and labor are very hard on the sows, and the death rate for sows and pups is high. There are enough accidental pregnancies in guinea pigs to keep to species going without another pig ever being deliberately bred.
They spay all of their females, so I think I'll keep him unneutered and then adopt a spayed female. Don't worry, I wouldn't put a piggy through that.

topaz259

Cavy Slave
Sounds like a plan, just make sure your local shelter has spayed sows that you can choose from or have your boy neutered at least 4 weeks before getting him a girlfriend. Also see if the shelter will allow meet and greets before you adopt, so you can take him in and see if he gets along with his potential new companion before you bring them home.
Soecara, that's a good idea! I checked their website and it says that they specialize in finding companions for single piggies, so I'll bring him in and see who he connects with. He's really gentle with humans, but he hasn't been with other piggies since I got him so it will be good to see how he gets along with other piggies.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
They spay all of their females, so I think I'll keep him unneutered and then adopt a spayed female. Don't worry, I wouldn't put a piggy through that.

Whew. Glad to hear it. And I realize I neglect to say what an adorable little man Wesley is!

Looking forward to seeing you both around the forum.

topaz259

Cavy Slave
Whew. Glad to hear it. And I realize I neglect to say what an adorable little man Wesley is!

Looking forward to seeing you both around the forum.
Thank you! Sorry for the confusion, I've never been good with words.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.