Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Eyes/Non-crusty White mark on eye?

HollyPiggy

Cavy Slave
Today I noticed a strange white mark on Marshmallow's eye. I have no idea what it might be..? Help??
in the pictures it's to the left, I hope you can see it.

Attachments

image.jpg image.jpg

stray hares

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
It looks like heterotopic bone formation to me (the, I guess, older name for it is osseous christoma/osseous metaplasia as referred to on Guinea Lynx). It's essentially when bone tissue forms where bone tissue normally doesn't form. There's a great paper on ocular disease in guinea pigs here, (broken link removed) which has some information on the condition, as does Guinea Lynx. I have a few pigs with heterotopic bone formation in their eye(s). It can lead to poor eyesight or blindness as they get older, I find. But in some piggies it doesn't seem to affect them at all.

stray hares

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I actually don't, @spy9doc, I just magically found that paper through luck and the Google machine. ;) It's an interesting and informative read, certainly.

HollyPiggy

Cavy Slave
Thank you so much! That does look quite similar to Marshmallow's problem. I'm going to be taking him for a vet visit with our exotics vet to get it looked at. Thank you again.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.