Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Bloated Gurgling stomach

Shapes

Cavy Slave
It has just come to my attention that one of my girls is making a gurgling noise like water down a drain or like a gurgling stomach. She has never had any problems, I have never heard this noise. She's making it every couple of minutes in the last half an hour or so. I am suddenly thinking bloat. Do bloated pigs usually make this?

She's had grass, hay, mix, cucumber, strawberry and celery today.

Shapes

Cavy Slave
We are looking her over, she doesn't seem to be bigger than usual, her belly doesn't seem tight or sound hollow. She's alert, eating and weeing in last 10 minutes, but would love some poop. We can't feel differences between her and her identical twin. I am taking her sister the vet tomorrow, looks like she will go too. Tess, Penny now Zora. It does happen in threes, doesn't it?

Shapes

Cavy Slave
I am sorry about triple post. Can someone tell me which button edits posts?

Anyway, we massaged her belly gently for a while and she seems to have stopped now. I have not heard anymore from her in the last two hours. It was a warm day today, do you think that could have affected her? I had them all inside with the aircon on. The only other things I can think of is that she has eaten some spinach and also found a plum outside yesterday. I'm taking her to the vet anyway, but yeah. Interesting noise.

Soecara

Cavy Slave
Is that her usual diet? Any poops yet, if so were they normal?

Very unusual sound you described, I have had a pig who was plagued by frequent severe bouts of bloat which eventually caused his demise but I never heard a sound like the one you described.

I am also from Australia, more specifically South Australia, and it was 42 degrees Celsius where I live today. Fortunately my pigs felt none of it because the air conditioner was on all day keeping the house at a stable 24 degrees. Also the button for editing posts is in the bottom right corner of the post, but you can only edit it for a certain period after it was posted.

Guineapigpro

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Gurgling stomach? Sounds like she could have gas. She's possibly not bloated, but has gas (which could turn into bloat). You did the right thing to be cautious and follow the 'bloat' instructions.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
The extra sugar from the plum could definitely have caused the gas.

Shapes

Cavy Slave
Is that her usual diet? Any poops yet, if so were they normal?

Very unusual sound you described, I have had a pig who was plagued by frequent severe bouts of bloat which eventually caused his demise but I never heard a sound like the one you described.

I am also from Australia, more specifically South Australia, and it was 42 degrees Celsius where I live today. Fortunately my pigs felt none of it because the air conditioner was on all day keeping the house at a stable 24 degrees. Also the button for editing posts is in the bottom right corner of the post, but you can only edit it for a certain period after it was posted.

Hello! Yes, I see haha. We only had 32C but didn't want them hot. And yes, normal poops now. That is her usual diet, except she found the plum, I didn't give it to her. We have a plum tree going into season now, which means plums ahoy! We haven't fed that group anymore fruit.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.