Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C 1 x 6 c&c cage, possible?

ryliem

Cavy Slave
Hi, so Iwas looking on the main tab and it said that a 2x3 cage is good for one guinea pig and I was wondering if a 1x6 would be okay for a single pig.

I have two guinea pigs already, but they don't get along. They have 2x3 each, and can still see eacother through the grids. I was thinking of just adding one grid out, but keeping all of them seperated.

Will this work? I have measured it to make sure he could still run around and do everything normaly, but I just need extera insight on anything Icould be missing.

Thanks!

P.s. the thread title should say 1x6, sorry.

Last edited:

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Re: 1 x 5 c&c cage, possible?

My personal opinion? It would be like living in a long hallway. I grid is very narrow. Definitely not ideal and I would think it would be very cramped. It's not something I would do.

miniver

Cavy Slave

My personal opinion? It would be like living in a long hallway. I grid is very narrow. Definitely not ideal and I would think it would be very cramped. It's not something I would do.

I agree. The idea is to give them room to run around. There is only room to run back and forth if it's 1 grid wide.

Also, anything you put in the cage would be hard for them to move around.

CavyMama

Cavy Slave

The quick answer is no. A 1 X 6 cage wouldn't be sufficient. Guinea pigs need to be able to run laps at relatively high speed (they are speedy little guys!). A 1 grid width doesn't allow them the room they need.

As for your pigs not getting along. How long have the lived together? How were they introduced? How old are they? What is your definition of "not getting along"?

lunarminx

Cavy Slave

One grid doesn't even hold three piggies side by side, not full grown adults. Now imagine living like that until you die.

ryliem

Cavy Slave

It would only be one pig living in the 1x6

ryliem

Cavy Slave

[MENTION=12813]CavyMama[/MENTION]

I got a link from one of the Moderators, and followed all the steps. They have lived "together" for about a month. They are both about fully grown. Drawing blood when their together. They can see eachother through the bars and still chatter their teeth.

I don't want to put them together. At all. I am home 24/7 and they get floor time and fresh vegfies and they are happy. I do not, and probably never will, house any of my pigs together unless I adopt them in a pair.

lissie

Cavy Slave
Did you mean to adopt another pig? Or change the current cage from two 2x3 to two 1x6?

ryliem

Cavy Slave
No, I am keeping the 2x3 cages I have now, but I only have room for another 1x6 right next to the cages I already have.

I am at home all the time, and I don't see the problem if the cage with most likely be out all day. He will have enough room to run around outside of the cage, and inside too. I measured it and an adult would have room to run around, but maybe thats just me.

When I say I am home "all day" or "24/7" I am talking litteraly. I take online classes from my local collage.

lissie

Cavy Slave
Re: 1 x 6 c&c cage, possible?

No, I am keeping the 2x3 cages I have now, but I only have room for another 1x6 right next to the cages I already have.

I don't really get it. Are you adopting a 3rd pig to put in the new 1x6 cage?

The current cages are 2x3 and 2x3. One for each pig, right? You have 2 pigs, right?

lunarminx

Cavy Slave

It would only be one pig living in the 1x6

It it would be no different than you living in a space equal to the width of a twin size bed. You could fit two people in it but it really barely fits one. can you imagine living like that until you die?

If they are in a 2x3 why make it so long and narrow? Never mind, I have read down afterwards and seen.

lissie

Cavy Slave

I have unapproved some posts from this thread.

In my opinion, if you are adopting a senior (5 and older), a 1x6 could probably work. Since they don't really run laps anymore. A 1x6 would still provide space for them to walk back and forth.

If the pig is younger, you'll have to go with at least 2x3.

Last edited:

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'll leave this open, but keep the bickering off the board, please.

CavyTV

Cavy Slave
Okay...well, what I understand is this: You have 2 pigs who won't get along and each live in their own 2x3 C&C cage side by side (probably was a 2x6 before when they were living together, right?) You do not want a 3rd pig, but you want to give them extra room anyway. You want to attach a 1x6 C&C cage to one of the 2x3s. One pig will have a 2x3+1x6 area, and the other will have a 2x3. That's the part that does not make sense to me.

Or, you want to get rid of one of the 2x3s and make it into a 1x6. So, one pig will be in a 1x6 and the other will stay in his 2x3...?

CavyTV

Cavy Slave
I was wondering if a 1x6 would be okay for a single pig.

The simple answer to that is no. A 2x3 or larger for one pig is preferred. I doubt anyone on here will recommend keeping a pig in a 1-grid-wide cage. 2 grids or wider is what you should have.

I was thinking of just adding one grid out, but keeping all of them separated

What exactly do you mean by "adding one grid out"? That sounds like expanding it from a 2-grid-wide cage to a 3-grid-wide cage. And when you say "keeping all of them separated", do you mean your 2 pigs that are fighting, or are there more?

he could still run around and do everything normaly

Which of your 2 guinea pigs are you talking about? Whose cage do you want to change to a 1x6 and why?

ryliem

Cavy Slave
(@lissie)I am not changing any exsisting cages. I have two pigs, each living in a 2x3. I want to add another pig (making a total of 3) in a 1x6, because that is all the room I have. It is physicaly impossible for me to expand any further than that.

CavyTV

Cavy Slave
You can't make another 2x3? You can stack all 3 2x3s, or just 2 of them, on top of each other to conserve space. If you can't make another cage that's a 2x3 or bigger, I wouldn't get a 3rd pig if I were you. It wouldn't be fair to the piggie.

ryliem

Cavy Slave

I am not changing any exsisting cages. I have 2 pigs, and I want to add a 3rd one. I only have enough room for a 1x6. It is physicaly impossible toadd more than that because of where the cage is.

lissie

Cavy Slave

As I said earlier, I think 1x6 would be okay if you adopt a senior (5 years or older). If the new one is younger, I would try to stack the cages.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.