Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece U-haul

MLT2007

Cavy Slave
I knew it wouldn't take long....I'm already thinking about upgrading my girls' cage and getting more pigs. To do that I would probably have to start making my own fleece bedding. I currently buy mine at piggy bedspreads but for my massive new cage it would be too expensive. I keep seeing posts about U_haul pads...what are they, and where can I get them?

bguardguy

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Uhaul pads are the moving pads that the company uhaul uses. I believe they are recycled denim. You can get them at a local uhaul store. Not sure on the price though. Honestly I am think about the same thing. However, instead of uhaul blankets I will probably go to a fabric store and get towel fabric and make two layers of that with my fleece. It seems easier to see and use to me. Granted I am not exactly sure on the thickness or absorption abilities of uhaul blankets.

MLT2007

Cavy Slave
Thanks, I was wondering if it actually was the fabric from the U-haul company, but that almost seemed kind of funny to me, so I had to ask. Next step to to get reaquainted with sewing. I haven't done it since 8th grade home economics class, some 20 years ago. Fortunately, I think a couple of my sisters can sew, if I can't manage to figure it out.

Brandi0509

Cavy Slave
@MLT2007 I use uhaul pads and I didn't sew mine together. I just wrap the fleece around the uhaul (which is cut to size). Uhaul pads are recycled denim like [MENTION=26656]bguardguy[/MENTION] said. They only cost $7 so they are super cheap and they absorb like crazy! They are machine washable and work great. I love it! Also, I saw your message and I'm gonna answer it when I get home because its much harder on my cell lol!

bguardguy

Cavy Slave
Amen. This cell foruming ( yes I just made that a verb) is hard as crap lol. I actually don't have anything sewed right now and it is not a hassle at all. Though I see how having it sewed could help. Also if you don't want to sew give homemade flippers a try. There are some excellent tutorials on here and I think I might like it more because you can remove the most soiled parts and change them out without doing an overhaul clean lol.

Brandi0509

Cavy Slave
I agree @bguardguy !! Cell foruming is the pits! :)
and I prefer not sewn together because I think the layers get cleaner separately but that's just my personal opinion. :)

Last edited:

bguardguy

Cavy Slave
Don't feel bad. You should have seen the word that auto correct changed mine to. It started with a b and was not a synonym for female dog lol.

Brandi0509

Cavy Slave
Don't feel bad. You should have seen the word that auto correct changed mine to. It started with a b and was not a synonym for female dog lol.

HAHAHAHAHA!!! So funny!

bguardguy

Cavy Slave
Yup. I was like. Okay I am done typing now to hit pos..... Omg. Lol. I almost died.

rebeccars

Cavy Slave
Make sure you wash and dry your uhaul pads a couple of times before cutting! I made the mistake of cutting and then washing and they shrank several inches. I don't sew mine either, just layer the uhaul pads and fleece.

MLT2007

Cavy Slave
My apologies for the repeat question. I will be more attentive in the future and try to use the search function more often. The advice on washing them several times in hot water will definitely come in handy, as I did not realize the liners will shrink so much. Thanks so much for the help :)

MLT2007

Cavy Slave
It was simply a sincere apology. I was not aware of the search feature at the time I asked the question. Now that I know it exists I will definitely use it. I understand your frustration of seeing the same thing over and over again, being a senior member of the forum. My apologies for hitting the "hot button"

MLT2007

Cavy Slave
I'm not sure why forgiveness is needed when no wrong was done, but in answer to your question...yes.

sdpiggylvr

Cavy Slave
I really like UHaul pads; they are wonderful! I highly recommend them. They are better than towels in my opinion because they are absorbent and contain odor while being thin.

I have used them in my cages for years sewn into cage liners, and I liked the ease of using just one piece for the entire bedding and not having to deal with a lot of extra layers. But lately I have been using two pieces of UHaul laid down underneath a piece of fleece. I find that I prefer this method because each layer can be cleaned and dried thoroughly without being stuck in between layers of fabric. The Cozy Cavy did a nice tutorial about how she lays out her fleece: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.163445770342164.33375.110805215606220&type=3.

Hope this helps!

MLT2007

Cavy Slave
@spy9doc....sorry, no I couldn't tell...LOL.

MLT2007

Cavy Slave
@sdpiggylvr Thanks for the link. I will check it out when I have a free moment. :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.