Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Injury Weird Scab Below Bottom Lip

Double Vision

Cavy Slave
Hi,
I was wondering if anyone knows what this scab under my guinea pigs lip could be from?
IMG_2552.jpg IMG_2553.jpg

It keeps coming back a couple weeks after it heals, it is very hard and is stuck on there good. There is nothing sharp in his cage, I checked.
I've heard of cheilitis, but I don't think that's it because his friend doesn't have it.
I think it's possible his cagemate might have bitten him but I always thought they got along pretty well.
I would love to hear any of your thoughts.

Soecara

Cavy Slave
It is boar glue, aka guinea pig ejaculate. He is almost certainly putting it there himself, it isn't anything alarming and he can clean it off on his own. It isn't healing because there is nothing to heal, it is just becoming detached from the fur it is stuck to.

One of my previous boars was notorious for getting it all over his mouth, once he even got it on his nose.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Ditto [MENTION=24757]Soecara[/MENTION]. Definitely boar glue.

Double Vision

Cavy Slave
It is boar glue, aka guinea pig ejaculate. He is almost certainly putting it there himself, it isn't anything alarming and he can clean it off on his own. It isn't healing because there is nothing to heal, it is just becoming detached from the fur it is stuck to.

One of my previous boars was notorious for getting it all over his mouth, once he even got it on his nose.

Really? I thought boar glue was white or clear?

Also, it came off now and it's red underneath but I don't see any sore or broken skin so I think you're right.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It's white-ish, but the color varies. It's definitely boar glue.

Keep an eye on the red place, and if it doesn't clear up on its own pretty quickly, you may have to treat it. It's a prime place for either a fungal or a bacterial infection to start. It probably would be a good idea to rub the area a couple of times a day with cold pressed virgin coconut oil. It has both bactericidal and fungicidal properties, and could prevent problems from developing.

Double Vision

Cavy Slave
Okay, I'll be checking it.
I actually just put some coconut oil on it for the inflammation

Appreciate the help, thanks!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.