Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cleaning How Often To clean the cage and What products to use?

Guinepigmom_2.0

Cavy Slave
Does anyone know what products are best for cleaning out the cages?

My babies potty basically all over HA-HA...i do have a potty training box going on, but they use it besides that they sometimes don't!
So I still end up picking up and cleaning around the cage. which is fine.

Does anyone recommend weeweepads?
Or sprays for washing up the bottoms of the cage lining?
I have a waterproof cage liner but water cleaning with a paper towel isn't helping...Are there safe ways to clean?Like soap and water?

I just want the boys to be happy, and they usually are.

PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF YOU HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS FOR CLEANING THE CAGES?:)

PippathePig

Cavy Gazer
Do you just use a waterproof cage liner? Do you use fleece as well? I use vinegar mixed with water to wipe and clean the actual cage bottoms out with. I use fleece bedding. I shake it out everyday, use vinegar and water to wipe out/clean out the pan, and every 3rd to 4th day I am washing/changing out the fleece. Once I week I take the entire cage outside and do a super thorough cleaning, typically on the weekends since I work during the week. The main thing for me is to make sure I have enough fleece to just switch it out at least twice a week inbetween washings.

Guinepigmom_2.0

Cavy Slave
Do you just use a waterproof cage liner? Do you use fleece as well? I use vinegar mixed with water to wipe and clean the actual cage bottoms out with. I use fleece bedding. I shake it out everyday, use vinegar and water to wipe out/clean out the pan, and every 3rd to 4th day I am washing/changing out the fleece. Once I week I take the entire cage outside and do a super thorough cleaning, typically on the weekends since I work during the week. The main thing for me is to make sure I have enough fleece to just switch it out at least twice a week inbetween washings.

For now its just the waterproof liner ...i am ordering a fleece part as well.
I might expand the cage size too, even though the current one is new....

The cleaning : I have been just using a wet papertowel with water. Probably not the best idea?!
I am worried about the vinegar being too strong...is there like a safe dish soap or something to use with water?

I will try the vinegar water combo first...and I am usually working during the week as well, but when i do get a minute i am usualyl cleaning around the cage to make sure theyre happy boys.

PippathePig

Cavy Gazer
I'm not sure what else you can use to clean the cage but I am sure someone will chime in. I was told to use vinegar with water (watered down so to speak), but there may be something better out there. I do know they sell a cage cleaner, has anyone used this with their piggies and do you know if its safe?

Guinepigmom_2.0

Cavy Slave
I'm not sure what else you can use to clean the cage but I am sure someone will chime in. I was told to use vinegar with water (watered down so to speak), but there may be something better out there. I do know they sell a cage cleaner, has anyone used this with their piggies and do you know if its safe?

I havent seen any cleaning products in the stores for cages...ive seen shampoo spray for cleaning the guinea piggies, but even that i haven't bought because i don't trust it....just don't wanna harm them or their home...ill try the vinegar combo for cleaning their cage first. see how that goes..

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
People have been using, and recommending, vinegar and water for years. Dilute it half and half. It will NOT harm the pigs, and it will clean the cage.

In all my years of dealing with guinea pigs, I've never heard of a guinea pig problem caused by cleaning with vinegar.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
I do know they sell a cage cleaner, has anyone used this with their piggies and do you know if its safe?

Yes, and I DO use it. There are two products that I'm aware of: 1) Clean Cage (Kaytee?) and 2) All Living Things Cage Cleaner& Deodorizer, and I have used both.These products are, however, named incorrectly IMHO. They are NOT for cleaning the cage.......they are simply a cage deodorizer! I use them for a midweek freshen of the fleece liners. I vacuum or brush the fleece, spray the dirty side, and put that side down in the cage. It does a superb job of deodorizing dirty fleece and I get another few days before I need to do a complete cage clean.

I have been using it for at least six years and the odor doesn't seem to bother my cavies or cause respiratory issues, nor is it offensive to me.....one who doesn't like many scents.

With regard to the spray shampoo for the piggies, one word.......DON'T. You don't want them to ingest it when they are cleaning themselves. Follow all the procedures for doing a proper bath and don't be tempted by this garbage product. Is that a strong enough opinion for you? lol

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
I just found Bagley's Best cleaning sprays at a liquidation store. I know Ed Bagley he has a number of environmentally friendly products, and this is the all purpose cleaning spray. It says it's non-toxic to animals and humans, biodegradable, leaves no residue, and is made with cleaning agents from sugars and fatty acids from vegetable oils. I was going to try it on the dog crate and guinea pig cage, then rinse after just in case.

I do use weepads in the corners of the cage and under the hay pile since that's where it gets wet the fastest.

Guinepigmom_2.0

Cavy Slave
I just found Bagley's Best cleaning sprays at a liquidation store. I know Ed Bagley he has a number of environmentally friendly products, and this is the all purpose cleaning spray. It says it's non-toxic to animals and humans, biodegradable, leaves no residue, and is made with cleaning agents from sugars and fatty acids from vegetable oils. I was going to try it on the dog crate and guinea pig cage, then rinse after just in case.

I do use weepads in the corners of the cage and under the hay pile since that's where it gets wet the fastest.

I did notice they wee a lot in the corners and very soggy corners lmao...i might have to invest in weepads for the corners.

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
Until you get weepads, you can use a kitchen towel topped with a piece of fleece or those soft polishing cloths used for cars. Dollar Tree sells some super soft ones that wash well.

Guinepigmom_2.0

Cavy Slave
Until you get weepads, you can use a kitchen towel topped with a piece of fleece or those soft polishing cloths used for cars. Dollar Tree sells some super soft ones that wash well.

I'll check it out! thank you!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.