Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Paper bedding recommendations

Mills123

Cavy Gazer
Hello, I have been having trouble finding a good paper bedding brand in Ontario, I had my last guinea pig for 10 years and he was an American guinea pig so I always used aspen and I never had a problem but when he passed away I got two long haired Peruvian girls and I found that aspen got stuck in their hair even when bushing every day, fleece is also not an option for me as I don’t have a laundry machine handy. I have gone through several brands and have had no luck! I was hoping I could get get some recommendations and/or suggestions on what I should use!

Here are the brands I’ve tried and what the problems I had were:
Kaytee clean and cozy-I used this for a while then one day I found small sharp sticks in it I thought it was a one off but I bought another bag and it was the same thing and they were so sharp I was worried it would cut my piggies
Care Fresh- I bought several bags based off of really good reviews and it was so hit and miss some bags were good some smelt strongly of urine so I will never buy this brand again
All living things paper bedding- I have tried the pellets(litter) and the loose paper and I didn’t like either, the pellets were so hard and my piggies really didn’t like it but it wasn’t that bad compared to the rest but the loose paper was so bad it got soggy, didn’t keep any smell down and got stuck to my girls

I’ve read that you can use paper kitty litter however that again seems too hard and I’d much rather find a bedding that is meant for guinea pigs. Thank you for taking the time to read, I look forward to reading the responses!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spy9doc

Cavy Slave

Mills123

Cavy Gazer
Unfortunately there is no pet co close to me but I will look into if I can buy it online thank you!

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
If you buy litter online, it may be prohibitively expensive if you have to pay shipping. It's like buying grids online.........just too heavy.

I would continue to explore your options. Perhaps @GuineaPigPapa will come by and have a suggestion or two for you.

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
Unfortunately you're not going to find much more than that in terms of paper bedding around here, assuming you mean Ontario, Canada. You could try Boxo that's available at bulk barn or some pet stores, or Uber bedding but it can be challenging to find. However, both are extremely similar to the others you have listed so you will likely experience the same issues. Uber is like the All Living Things soft paper bedding and Boxo is most like carefresh.

If disposable is your only option, I would look into getting an Aspen shaving that is larger flaked pieces. Those don't get stuck in fur too easily. I have long haired pigs (Peruvian, Texel, Lunkarya) and although they are bedded on fleece, they do have aspen in their kitchen/hay areas. I use Nepco Lab Grade bedding and have no difficulties with it getting stuck in anyone's fur. You can find it at Rens Pet Depot if you have one by you.

Mills123

Cavy Gazer
Thank you I have a rens down the street I will definitely try that!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.