Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Rabbits Oreo the floppy loppy

Mastershroom

Cavy Slave
I managed to get a shot of Oreo conked out. She's usually very alert and tends to get suspicious or run away if I get close, so this was a rare opportunity :)

I have no idea what she was doing here. I walked into the room to see her with one ear totally up in the air. A few seconds later she just dropped it back down.

And here she is mastering the art of photobombing:

(Click any of the photos to embiggen them)

pinky

Cavy Slave
She's just too cute!!

Mastershroom

Cavy Slave
She's just too cute!!
Yeah, she knows she's cute enough to get away with a lot more than she should, as my nibbled baseboards and HDMI cables will testify. ^^

pinky

Cavy Slave
Yeah, she knows she's cute enough to get away with a lot more than she should, as my nibbled baseboards and HDMI cables will testify. ^^

How are your guinea pigs doing? I lost three of mine last year. Wolfbane was a senior and lived a long, healthy life but I lost both of my texels within a few months of each other. They each died in their sleep which made me wonder if there was something genetic going on with them. Their surviving cage mate (Ditto) is fine.

Mastershroom

Cavy Slave
How are your guinea pigs doing? I lost three of mine last year. Wolfbane was a senior and lived a long, healthy life but I lost both of my texels within a few months of each other. They each died in their sleep which made me wonder if there was something genetic going on with them. Their surviving cage mate (Ditto) is fine.
We lost three of five last year as well. Big Pig wasn't really a surprise, since she was over 7 years old. Vet showed she had a huge bladder stone, and we opted to put her down. Then Curly, our teddy pig, died overnight a few months later, and Kellypig, the Abyssinian, did the same a few months after that. No idea what happened with those two; they were both around 2 years old, and there were no visible signs of injury and they hadn't had any symptoms of being sick.

Little Kwee and Cuddles are still with us. They don't live with Oreo and Donut, but we occasionally give them floor time together, and they all seem to get on pretty well. :)

pinky

Cavy Slave
We lost three of five last year as well. Big Pig wasn't really a surprise, since she was over 7 years old. Vet showed she had a huge bladder stone, and we opted to put her down. Then Curly, our teddy pig, died overnight a few months later, and Kellypig, the Abyssinian, did the same a few months after that. No idea what happened with those two; they were both around 2 years old, and there were no visible signs of injury and they hadn't had any symptoms of being sick.

Little Kwee and Cuddles are still with us. They don't live with Oreo and Donut, but we occasionally give them floor time together, and they all seem to get on pretty well. :)

Two guinea pigs is a good number to have. I don't know what happened with Pichu and Moo, either. I just looked up their ages. Pichu was 4.5 and Moo was 3.5. That's still young for them to have died. I wonder if the second one in a bonded pair can die from a broken heart. I could tell Pichu really missed Moo. Neither of them ever really accepted Ditto. They wouldn't let her sleep with them but tolerated her. After Moo died, Pichu still didn't bond with Ditto. After Pichu passed, I ended up adopting another female as a companion for Ditto but it was a disaster. Lamb Chop aka Lucy Fur is the most aggressive guinea pig I've ever owned. I tried her with my senior pair and Rigatoni (laid back, neutered male, pals with every guinea pig I've ever introduced him to) was terrified. Lamb Chop viciously attacked him and had Wishbone running for her life, crying. I waited and tried a couple more times but it was even worse after that. So Lamb Chop is in her own cage. She seems really happy. Loves lap time, popcorns around, runs laps... just hates guinea pigs.... I finally found a younger guinea pig on craigslist and got her for Ditto. Fish Fry and Ditto got along pretty quickly. Ditto did the rumblestrutting and nipping at first but I think she was doing to make herself look tough because she's a low ranking guinea pig. The two don't sleep together but Fish Fry follows Ditto around everywhere and runs behind her when she gets scared.

joys_cavies

Cavy Slave

pinky

Cavy Slave
Okay first such a cute bunny!!!! Second - [MENTION=15081]pinky[/MENTION] now I want fish sticks lol

I like fish sticks, too.... especially Gorton's potato crunch ones. I like Long John Silver's even more......

joys_cavies

Cavy Slave
I like fish sticks, too.... especially Gorton's potato crunch ones. I like Long John Silver's even more......
Awww yes. Long John Silvers are the best lol

janinehunt

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
What a cutie! Love the photo bomb pic!

Mastershroom

Cavy Slave
What a naughty girl! :p Those look like bite marks on the furniture. I don't know how we could ever get a bunny. Our house is so wired with cables that our entire tech assortment would be toast in no time.

Maya is the consumate naughty girl.....she has chewed on just about anything cardboard or plastic in their cage. She will chew and then look to see if I'm watching. She has learned what "no, Maya" spoken sharply means, but exactly how much time can I monitor her?
Oreo's actually the better behaved of the two. She never really chewed on anything before we brought Donut home...he's done the majority of the damage to our baseboards and wood furniture (including what you see in the pictures), and taught Oreo that the loud sound of baseboards being nibbled on is a great way to get our attention. She's still much less destructively inclined, though. ^^

As for the cables, you pretty much have to run them behind furniture or up high along walls, or if they have to be out in the open, wrap them in aquarium tubing that's too wide for them to chew on. We've managed to only lose one Xbox HDMI cable! :p

Little Kwee has become an expert on chewing on the Coroplast walls very loudly. Like, I can hear it in my bedroom, clear across the apartment from the cage. Silly pig.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.