Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Chat Divergent book series.

porkchophamster

Cavy Slave
I guess I'll do that this summer! School started kicking my butt after I started reading, which limited my time for reading, which I'm sure didn't help things. Now I've got some free time so I'll have to see how things end up.

I love free time. It's my first summer off in 4 years so I am taking advantage and reading all I can :)

Cavy.crazy

Cavy Slave
I finished up a few weeks ago and now I am off until August :) I love to read but never really get to when I'm in school because the work is so time consuming.
I can barely get past these next two days:crazy:

Field-of-Dreams

Cavy Slave
I completely understand. I feel a little old (23) to be reading YA books but I am also going to be a teacher so I should probably keep up with what the kids are reading. That being said, I picked up Divergent because it was on sale at Target and I needed something to read on the plane to Chicago last week. I didn't read it til I got home lol honestly though, it's probably the first YA series I have read since I was a teenager and I loved it. It's got the dystopian theme to it but it also has romance and adventure in it. I love a good romance story so that really got me into it. The first 2 books are fantastic. The last was still a good book but probably should have been split into 2 books because it was sort of rushed. Try it. You will probably like it. :)

Heck, I'm 51 and *I* read them! :crazy: Liked most of it, didn't like the ending at all. I'm a book hoarder and rarely sell/trade/give away any book I buy, but will probably not read these again, so .... bye bye!

LifeAsItMayBe

Cavy Slave
I read quite a bit of random fiction. YA, sci-fi, historical, kid's stuff, doesn't matter what kind. When I was in elementary school I was only allowed to read books that were written for kids three or four years older than me, so now I read books that were written for people younger than me.

-I've only read the first book in the Divergent series, but I liked it pretty well. My mom has it on her laptop (I hate reading books off screens!) so it took 3-4 days.
-I've also read Harry Potter, which I might've enjoyed more if I had read it when I was a kid and not after I graduated college and had already seen too many spoilers/memes/etc.
-I liked Hunger Games too, until the end of the third book.
-I enjoyed the Twilight series the summer before I started college. I read the first two books in one day each. The movies are ridiculous.
-Last month I read Ender's Game and liked it a lot. I think you have to have been a lonely little kid at some point in your life to really appreciate it.
-Eragon was really cool, especially considering it was written by a teenager.
-In elementary I read a series called The Lost Years of Merlin, not sure if it counts as YA but loved it.
-Inkheart was fun, the sequels stunk.

Anybody read any fun books lately that aren't overly magical and zombie filled? They're cool in their own way, but they're everywhere and I'm getting bored with 'em.

porkchophamster

Cavy Slave
John Green's books are pretty grounded in reality. I've enjoyed the ones I've read quite a bit. There are people that find his style pretentious, but I kind of feel like they're missing the point of the books.

Just read "The Fault In Our Stars." Cried like a BABY. I am going to read more of his books.

porkchophamster

Cavy Slave
Just read "The Fault In Our Stars." Cried like a BABY. I am going to read more of his books.

I should also add that I laughed quite a bit as well lol

MrsGuineaPig

Cavy Slave
I'm about 25% done Divergent. Everyone has said it's a great trilogy and I cant wait to finish the series! I already saw the movie but the same thing happened with the Hunger Games, was about the same amount of the book done as Divergent then saw the movie. I never picture the characters in the movie as I do in my head so every time I see a movie based off the book, I'm like wow that person either looked better in my head or looked better in the movie!

PiggieWigglies

Cavy Slave
I haven't had the chance to read Divergent yet, but I would like to! I also wanna read The Fault In Our Stars.

Colorado Cavies

Cavy Slave
Loved Divergent and Insurgent. Not so much a fan of Allegiant. Though that is really because I didn't like the writing style and found it impossible to tell the difference between Tris and Fours voices and was constantly getting confused.

I'm probably going to get some grief for this but...I didn't like the movie. I just felt like the girl who played Tris was really flat the entire time. Not like Kristen Stewart flat, but still far too flat for my liking. I just didn't connect to her at all. I wanted to badly to like it and other then her I loved the movie. She just kind of killed it for me.

I'm still trying to finish the mortal instruments before the last book comes out. Still on book 4 but that would be plenty of time if I wasn't so busy this week.

porkchophamster

Cavy Slave
I have to read The Fault in Our Stars! I've read Looking For Alaska, An Abundance of Katherines, and Paper Towns. I've heard great things about TFiOS and I know the movie's coming out, so I'll need to find it someplace.

It was amazing. I just finished Looking for Alaska a few hours ago. Very different than I expected but I liked it. I have been on a reading RAMPAGE lol so I am about to start another series, but unfortunately it doesn't belong in the cafe section of this forum.

porkchophamster

Cavy Slave
Loved Divergent and Insurgent. Not so much a fan of Allegiant. Though that is really because I didn't like the writing style and found it impossible to tell the difference between Tris and Fours voices and was constantly getting confused.

I'm probably going to get some grief for this but...I didn't like the movie. I just felt like the girl who played Tris was really flat the entire time. Not like Kristen Stewart flat, but still far too flat for my liking. I just didn't connect to her at all. I wanted to badly to like it and other then her I loved the movie. She just kind of killed it for me.

I'm still trying to finish the mortal instruments before the last book comes out. Still on book 4 but that would be plenty of time if I wasn't so busy this week.

I was disappointed in the movie as well. I felt that it didn't really capture the essence of Four and Tris' relationship, which really bothered me. Maybe it's because the book is told from her point of view and the movie is only showing the outside aspect of it. It was like they were hanging out a bit with a little flirting here and there and then BAM! They were making out lol There were also a few things which I found important that were left out so that bothered me too.

That being said, I am totally going to see Insurgent on opening night and I will absolutely be dragging my fiance with me :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.