Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Want a Guinea Pig(s) Want babies around Middlesex, Bucks (maybe Surrey)! Please help!

Lucynzsky

Cavy Slave
Hello! Does anyone know anyone around these areas that might have some babies available? My boyfriend and I are allowed 2 piggies only, and I've been waiting for this day for 30 years that I could finally be allowed by landlords to get piggies!! So I REALLY want two babies, smooth selfy types, girls. I would love to adopt older piggies someday when I buy a house (about 5 years from now). I will have LOADS! But for now, some babies pleeeeease! Thank you for your advice! It's harder than it seems to find these little guys! Or maybe it's me. haha! :)

sugarandspice

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Could I ask why you would want babies, as opposed to adults and seniors? Usually, the only way to get baby guinea pigs is to find a breeder. (Which is not recommended) If you could find a baby guinea pig in a rescue or shelter, go for it. But those babies will probably get adopted, ( you know because they are babies :) ) yet the adult/senior guinea pig might not have a chance to get a forever home right away. Maybe even put down if it is a kill shelter. The bond you get with a guinea pig is no different with a senior guinea pig or a baby guinea pig. :)

piggles0117

Cavy Slave
yeah, why do you want babies? if this is your first time (or one of your first times) with piggies, I dont recommend it. they are not going to bond better with you if thats what you want, they are actually SUPER DUPER skittish and fast and dont really want anything to do with you. my first pigs were babies and Ive had them almost a year and only one is bonded with me... it all depends on the pig though.

sugarandspice

Cavy Slave
I am not really sure about this site, but you can call them and ask.
(broken link removed)

Lucynzsky

Cavy Slave
Because I just do want babies. I knew I'd have to explain that. I guess neither of you have EVER owned babies?? Like I said, when I get a house, I WILL adopt older pigs, don't worry, you people. And I had plenty of pigs as a young adult, so I know how to handle them.

I WILL ADOPT PIGS, people, in five years when I get my house!! Older ones, ones from the shelter, all kinds!! I promise. Now, if anyone wants to respond to the question, feel freee!! And THANK YOU to the person who has!! I will look at that llink! Thanks!

Lucynzsky

Cavy Slave
Oh, that link only had one no kill shelter about a hundred some miles away from me. :(

sugarandspice

Cavy Slave
I am just saying, either way just don't give in to a breeder or a pet store. It's better for the welfare of the animals. If you were to do that, you are just making a demand for guinea pigs. Sows will just be back bred again and again and again. You wouldn't want a sow to suffer like that would you? I hope you can find the guinea pig for you in a rescue or shelter. :)

sugarandspice

Cavy Slave
There is nothing wrong with getting from a kill-shelter. Actually it would be good if you could rescue From a kill shelter. @Lucynzsky

Lucynzsky

Cavy Slave
I'm in Middlesex, UK. I've looked at shelters... I was hoping someone may know someone whose pigs have had pigs, privately. It's gonna be almost impossible, I guess. I have a feeling I'll be waiting years for a shelter to come up with my pigs... But I will keep looking for as long as I can! My heart bleeds for little piggies! :) They are going to be the most loved, attention-laden pigs of ALL TIME!

Melissa123

Cavy Slave
Hi!

Look on craigslist for unexpected litters. Just make sure you are not buying from a breeding. Most of them are really good at hiding that fact as they are not supposed to be posting on Craigslist. Also, check out guineapigzone.com for adoptable pigs in your area. .

sugarandspice

Cavy Slave
Wait, I thought you lived in Austria??? o.o
sorry, try this. (broken link removed)

Lucynzsky

Cavy Slave
Yeah, I need to change that! I just moved with my boyfriend. I have tried the RSPCA but will check again today. Thanks, everyone! I will check those sites! I will not buy from a breeder. :)

pinky

Cavy Slave
I've owned guinea pigs for years. If you're looking for sweet, friendly cuddly guinea pigs, babies are NOT what you should get. Guinea pigs are prey animals and when they're babies, all they want to do is get as far away from humans as they possibly can. They slowly learn to trust people when they sense that they are no longer in danger. By that time, they're not pups anymore. They're grown guinea pigs. It's hard to handle them when they're little. They dig their back nails into your hand to try and propel themselves out of your hands, they run away and hide. Before you make the decision that it has to be babies, I urge you to go out and handle as many guinea pigs of different ages so you can see how extremely unique each one is and how friendly the adults can be. Having seen the difference, I only adopt adults now because I know that you'll never know whether a pup will grow up to be friendly or not or not until it's older. Time and time again I see people who adopt a pup and are upset that they don't end up being a lap pig and still run away from them.

Shelbz

Cavy Slave
Yup, I had two baby pigs as a surprise, and I agree with what everybody else has said. They were terrified of me. When you expect them to be adorable, cuddly lap pigs, and they spend the first two months (and often longer) actively avoiding you, it's very tough. You have to work your butt off and even then you can't guarantee they will instantly become cuddly or happy to see you- or anything else, really. Plus, they're only "cute adorable babies" for about a month or two after getting them; after that, they're bigger, with a lot of growing left to do but they've ultimately lost their "adorable baby"-look. THEN you're stuck with an adult-looking young pig who's terrified of you, not withstanding the puberty tantrums that you have to go through, both towards yourself (my two boars can be very grumpy!) and each other (.. again, the amount of times they've been bickering recently..)

Having said that, if everyone here cannot dissuade you from a baby, I would advise please be patient and wait until one becomes available. The RSPCA regularly take in pregnant sows- I know there were a few in Birmingham when another UK-goer enquired- so please be vigilant!

(broken link removed) is a good place to START - it's not a finite list- for rescues in your area.

cheshirekris

Cavy Slave
I got baby pigs from craigslist ( A lady had a pet store pig) and everyone is right it took over 3 months for them to get used to me and they are still a little scared.

Shelbz

Cavy Slave
This rescue in Surrey has advertised 2 female and one male new arrival, all of which 8 week old: (broken link removed) . I would email them to see if the site is still up-to-date. Again, I would consider having a look at the adult guinea pigs too, as their temperament will be far less work (you'll know from the outset if they're skittish / cuddly etc); don't rule out one or the other until you've at least visited a rescue and seen both!

littlenme

Cavy Slave
I agree with the poster that siad to look for shelters that may get a pregnant sow in... perhaps you can put yourself on a list with the local shelters and if they have any sows that have litters they can contact you.
That said I guess I lucked out I have my girls that are 15 weeks oldish. They were 6 weeksish when I got them and both have been very cuddly, that and they have always been happy to try any veggies. Sounds like a lot of youngsters are skittish and wary of anything new foods included.

Lucynzsky

Cavy Slave
We got some from a shelter, and they trust us now after only a couple months. They're lovely. :)

pinky

Cavy Slave
We got some from a shelter, and they trust us now after only a couple months. They're lovely. :)

It's great that you got them from a shelter. Now they can make room for more unwanted guinea pigs instead of a breeder having room to breed more after someone buys from them. It's nice that they're trusting you.....They must realize they can.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.