Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Loss Dropped my piggy and it died

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amalee

Cavy Slave
They said even after their guinea pig died they chased after the other and nearly frightened it to death, thus they didn't learn from the first incident? Until they learn from their mistake and learn how to hold a Guinea Pig and get over the loss of one, no, they should not own another small pet. That is just my opinion and my post was as polite as could be considering their Guinea Pig died out of pure ignorance. I don't know how old OP is, but when a small child drops and kills an animal, you don't allow them another until they've matured. I'm sorry if my post came off as rude, but it was more polite than it could of been, considering I was seething in anger. When I was younger, I accidentally killed my hamster. That was nearly 12 years ago, and I still mourn him. I never asked for another small pet. There is no easy fix when you take an animal's life, sympathy does not bring their life back or undo a mistake.

Aleks

Cavy Slave
They said even after their guinea pig died they chased after the other and nearly frightened it to death, thus they didn't learn from the first incident? Until they learn from their mistake and learn how to hold a Guinea Pig and get over the loss of one, no, they should not own another small pet. That is just my opinion and my post was as polite as could be considering their Guinea Pig died out of pure ignorance. I don't know how old OP is, but when a small child drops and kills an animal, you don't allow them another until they've matured. I'm sorry if my post came off as rude, but it was more polite than it could of been, considering I was seething in anger. When I was younger, I accidentally killed my hamster. That was nearly 12 years ago, and I still mourn him. I never asked for another small pet. There is no easy fix when you take an animal's life, sympathy does not bring their life back or undo a mistake.

Her words were not that the other pig was nearly frightened to death. She said - and i quote- " I think she was terrified of the whole experience".
And what would you have proposed she do? Just let the other pig stay in the backyard forever? She had to catch her so she could take her inside.
That isn't "not learning from the first incident" because in the first incident she was picking up the guinea pig with one hand, and accidentally dropped her. Catching a pig that's loose in the backyard and dropping one from not holding it properly are two different things entirely.

ClemmyOddieIndy

Cavy Slave
I'm sorry for your loss. But, I do have to wonder why your pigs were loose in your backyard in the first place? A backyard is a very dangerous place. They should never be left loose. Stray animals, hawks, snakes, etc... all could easily attack and kill them. There are pens that you can put outside to keep them in. It makes it easier to watch them to keep them safe from all the things I listed above. I even had a hawk pick up my min pin once. Luckily, my silky terrier jumped on the hawk and saved my min pin from it. My little dogs don't even go in the yard anymore.

Amalee

Cavy Slave
Her words were not that the other pig was nearly frightened to death. She said - and i quote- " I think she was terrified of the whole experience".
And what would you have proposed she do? Just let the other pig stay in the backyard forever? She had to catch her so she could take her inside.
That isn't "not learning from the first incident" because in the first incident she was picking up the guinea pig with one hand, and accidentally dropped her. Catching a pig that's loose in the backyard and dropping one from not holding it properly are two different things entirely.

They said one of her pigs died, and then she had to give chase to the other. Were both pigs dropped, left to run outside, or what? They didn't exactly specify, but I assumed they lost the second pig after the first had died. Also, they said the 2nd pig is very still. I would not be surprised if that Guinea Pig went had a stroke or heartattack. Of course if your Guinea Pig gets lost outside you have to find it, but why were they both outside to begin with. It just sounds like an insanely irresponsible situation and I don't want it repeated on another animal.

skbrodie

Cavy Slave
They said one of her pigs died, and then she had to give chase to the other. Were both pigs dropped, left to run outside, or what? They didn't exactly specify, but I assumed they lost the second pig after the first had died. Also, they said the 2nd pig is very still. I would not be surprised if that Guinea Pig went had a stroke or heartattack. Of course if your Guinea Pig gets lost outside you have to find it, but why were they both outside to begin with. It just sounds like an insanely irresponsible situation and I don't want it repeated on another animal.

I think it's understandable that the pigs shouldn't have been in the backyard in the first place, however I don't think making assumptions will help either. Obviously the OP feels terrible and I think we should make this a safe haven for her rather than shaming her. Everyone makes mistakes- she didn't know that what she did was wrong. And honestly, not everyone reads up on everything guinea pig before getting them.

Aleks

Cavy Slave

She said she was giving them outside free time. She's a new piggy owner and did not know that outside time should be kept in an enclosed area.
I don't believe the other piggy was lost. I think what she meant was that after what happened with the first piggy, she went to take the other one inside but she ran off so she had to catch her.

Artista

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I think it's understandable that the pigs shouldn't have been in the backyard in the first place, however I don't think making assumptions will help either. Obviously the OP feels terrible and I think we should make this a safe haven for her rather than shaming her. Everyone makes mistakes- she didn't know that what she did was wrong. And honestly, not everyone reads up on everything guinea pig before getting them.

Yep, agree. [MENTION=27133]Amalee[/MENTION], OP is obviously grief stricken enough. Need to stop dissecting every word of what happened and just embrace her/him for the loss and move on. OP has not said or alluded to being careless like this in the future in this letting them outside this way situation. Will she/he make more mistakes? Maybe. Not for us to judge for we all have made mistakes as can be seen in this thread that has caused harm to the animal. If OP didn't care then yes, don't get another animal. But nothing tells me that she/he doesn't care in this thread so give it the benefit of the doubt and lay off of the OP and what you think she/he's thinking/feeling/doing right now.

Amalee

Cavy Slave
Well, on that note; I'll apologize for coming off as rude, I just feel very strongly about this topic. I'm glad that you posted here so that others could put you on a good path to taking care of your other Guinea Pig and/or future animals.

Artista

Cavy Slave
Well, on that note; I'll apologize for coming off as rude, I just feel very strongly about this topic. I'm glad that you posted here so that others could put you on a good path to taking care of your other Guinea Pig and/or future animals.

I think we all do feel strongly on such a topic so I understand your thoughts on this. I'm not only a huge gp fan in my 6 months of having one I'm a huge animal lover with birds being my longest love of over 20 years. People on those boards are learning too with tragedy, unfortunately. I mentioned mine earlier. I made other mistakes too like feeding seed only and having small cage which I thought was roomy for a budgie but it really wasn't etc. All part of the learning process and now folks ask me questions which 20 years ago no way that would happen. :D

pinky

Cavy Slave

You've made your point more than enough times..... You stated yourself that you dropped and killed your hamster but allowed YOURSELF the luxury of owning pets after that even though you don't think the Op should be able to. The OP acknowledged making mistakes. Give him/her a break and offer constructive suggestions and encouragement instead of being judge and jury.

emmysicle

Cavy Slave
Accidents do happen and the harsh reality is what was done can not be undone. I'm sorry for your loss and I wish I could feel more sympathy for you but I can't...Please refrain from another small pet in the future.
This is INCREDIBLY rude. I had a GP die on me suddenly one day. I had nothing to do with it, but it was still a shock. You've obviously never felt the pain of losing a loved animal in front of your eyes. I cant even put into words how much this post makes me outraged. You said it yourself
Accidents do happen
so it was an ACCIDENT. They shouldnt 'refrain' from having another small animal. Everyone makes mistakes in their life and this one just happens to have been a large one. This person has obviously never had a GP or small animal before and didnt know you need to pen in the pigs with cubes or fencing. So dont be so damn rude and have some empathy. This form is for people to share their lives and the lives of their pigs with other pig people. I just cant even...
Though I just read your responses that were posted well I was posted and I understand where you were coming form, but it sounds that this person isnt a young child. They made a mistake and they obviously feel horrid about it. But even as a 19 year old woman, I make mistakes with my pigs. Sometimes they jump out of my hands onto the bed ect. I hold them in one hand just fine. They were new pigs and not use to her yet. So Its understandable they would be scared. Next time, I would calm down and think before you post.

Some tips I can give you for outside time, if you dont want to pen in your pigs, get some leashes so you can control where they explore. If you dont wanna do that, I would get some cubes or a high fencing and put some of the fenced area in the shade. :) If you plan on having them out for long periods of time, I always take out a few water dishes and a water bottle for refills whenever my pigs are outside.

Im very sorry for lose and hope that you take this as a learning curb. I take everything I do with my pigs as a learning experience. Your pig will be missed <3

Last edited:

Amalee

Cavy Slave
@emmysicle , I have seen both animals and humans deteriorate and die. Making the suggestion that I'm apathetic and couldn't of possibly experienced such things is far more rude than anything I've said in this thread.

Mastershroom

Cavy Slave
@Amalee, I feel like The Dude can best sum up the majority opinion here (NSFW language):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQl5aYhkF3E

My point is, [MENTION=28258]guineaninja[/MENTION] made an honest mistake and is clearly suffering for it. Is a little decency too much to ask of you?

Amalee

Cavy Slave
I was already aware of the majority opinion. I apologized for the harshness of my opinion, but I am getting worse comments now than before.

emmysicle

Cavy Slave
Amalee I am not trying to be rude but bluntly saying to someone who just lost a pet out of a mistake in a stressful situation was rude. I am sorry for sounding so rude but I have also lost many small pets and people in my life. So by saying you sounded apathetic, you did. The op should have the opption to have another pig if they so choose. They shouldnt be torn down and told to NEVER get another small animal because the make a mistake. It could happen to anyone. I got a new pig less then a week after one of mine died out of depression in the other living pig. You made yourself seem and sound very apathetic. I am sorry and apologize for being and sounded as rude as I did.

Artista

Cavy Slave
At 8:06 pm Amalee apologized. See thread above mine. The point of still gunning is??

LithiumRiot

Cavy Slave
Im so sorry this happened. I've had my piggies squirm out of my hands several times, so I can see how it's scary. First day I had sweetie Belle, she jumped off the bed (which I thought she wouldnt) into the area behind my bed with lots of junk there and wrestling her out of that was awful. My sister has also dropped Lucy, and they'll often jump out of my arms and into the cage, which scares me to death.

The best you can do is take precautions. When holding them, hold them sitting on the floor so that they dont jump far. Use a laundry basket or even a shoe box (open, not closed) if you have to to transport them from one room or another if you dont feel confident carrying them. I wish you lots of luck, and dont ever be afraid to post here for help. I'm sorry about the one that passed away but I'm sure you are and will be a great piggy mom/dad (sorry, I didnt look to see if you're a dude or a chick)

SheWolfSilver

Cavy Slave
I am so sorry for your loss! I wasn't planning on coming back to this forum but something tonight drew me back here and I think it was to relay my story of Tigger after reading this post. First of all I am so sorry for your loss! Tigger was my cat that I had for 10 years he became ill and I took him to the vet. They gave us these huge pills to give him and we had problems with him fighting us. Well, long story short is we gave him the pills and he ended up choking on the pill one night and died, to this day I feel like we killed him! I'm typing this with tears streaming down my face because I can't help but wonder should I have done something different? My point is, hind sight is 20/20 you can't live in the past and keep wondering what if? You have to move on and learn from your mistake.

pinky

Cavy Slave
@emmysicle , I have seen both animals and humans deteriorate and die. Making the suggestion that I'm apathetic and couldn't of possibly experienced such things is far more rude than anything I've said in this thread.

I refrained from commenting about your posts until you apologized for just "coming off as rude." It made me wonder if you really understand what was offensive about your comments:

"insanely irresponsible situation"
"their guinea pig died out of pure ignorance"
"There is no easy fix when you take an animal's life, sympathy does not bring their life back or undo a mistake. "
"Making the suggestion that I'm apathetic and couldn't of possibly experienced such things is far more rude than anything I've said in this thread."
"I apologized for the harshness of my opinion"

In the heat of the moment, I have no doubt each of us have been guilty of saying or writing things we wish we hadn't. I just found your comments to be very cold-hearted and angry. The last sentence bothered me the most because it sounds like you still feel everything you wrote.

If anyone finds my comment offensive, I apologize in advance. The OP came on here asking for help and support, not condemnation. They did not take a life. It was an ACCIDENT.

Amalee

Cavy Slave
I never said my opinion went away or I stopped feeling what I wrote. I apologized for phrasing it as I did and being too harsh, I most likely should not have said anything; "If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all." I was angry and I'm not sorry for that, but I am sorry that I was insensitive to OP's feelings and it was wrong of me to voice them in such a way. There really isn't much else to say.

Status
Not open for further replies.