Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

I think my female pig is pregnant again

lexi43

Cavy Slave
We had a guinea pig that we thought was a boy. My friend's cousin gave it to us. The first night Smores cried all night and we thought he was lonesome so we went out a bought another male pig. Well long story short Smores turned out to be a female and she got pregnant. We had no intention of breeding her. In fact we didn't even know she was pregnant until we woke up and found 2 little pups. Actually there was 3 but one was still born. We didn't know you had to take the male out right away. We took the male out after a week and I think Smores is pregnant again. We took them to the vet and he sexted them. Now we have a little boy and a little girl. The mom is in one cage with the little girl Oreo and dad is in another cage with the little boy Reeses. At least this time will be the last. I spoke to the vet about the dangers to the mom after have such close prenancys. He said she is no danger as long as the others were born healthy and the mom is in good shape. We plan to keep the new babies also. As I said before we did not intentially breed them we sort of made a boo boo. I have to admit it though it was really kind of interesting. The vet says that it was too early to tell if she's pregnant but to me she looks like she's getting a bit chunky. Only time will tell.
;

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
I would monitor her close and read up all you can on this site and guinealynx.

BNCavy91

Cavy Slave
Yep, like you said, only time will tell. =/

GoldieBrodiexx

Cavy Slave
Was the vet cavy savvy? Bak to back pregnancies can be dangerous. But, at least you will be prepared for this one and he will have no more babies!

SimbaDC650

Cavy Slave
hope shes not preggy! Time to go on MAURY! U R THE FATHER!

CanadianComforts

Section Moderator
Cavy Slave
Its very likely that she is as females go into heat right after birth.

I do not think that vet is very savvy with it comes to guinea pigs. Weigh her weekly, feed her lots of good pellets, hay and veggies. Hopefully she pulls through fine. Also be prepared for a larger litter too. I've heard they can have larger litters the second time around but I'm not sure how reliable that is.

lexi43

Cavy Slave
Not wanting to sound nasty but to answer your comment. My vet happens to be very savvy when it comes to guinea pigs. He happens to be an exoctic animal vet and he knows a great deal about most animals. I have a guinea pig who is almost 7 years old and is in good shape. My vet gave me alot of help when I got him. I think I can trust him.

CanadianComforts

Section Moderator
Cavy Slave
I'm sure he's wonderful but the fact is she has a chance of not being fine by the information you provided us.

Actually there was 3 but one was still born.

Having a still born is not normal or healthy, it means she was having issues. This is why I think your vet isn't very savvy. A savvy vet would have concerns about that when dealing with a back to back pregnancy. I would suggest a second opinion if I was in your shoes.

Colorado Cavies

Cavy Slave
I'm sorry but I have to agree. Any vet that tells you not to be worried about a back to back pregnancy doesn't know what they are talking about. A normal pregnancy is dangerous enough but back to back is even more so. To give you an idea, I rescued 3 pigs, all had been breed back to back. 2 of the 3 died. It is a very dangerous thing. Maybe your vet is great with other things, I'm not questioning that he has been helpful in the past. But in this case he is very off base.

Keep a good eye on mama and make sure she gets plenty of food and veggies. I hope she pulls through.

lexi43

Cavy Slave
I'm not even sure she is really pregnant yet. She is eating alot and she gets plenty of food and veggies every day. If she is and she makes it through then this will be her last breeding. She is now is a seperate cage with her little girl. Her husband is in another cage with her the little boy. I'm not takikng any chances. I did speak to someone who is a breeder. She said she can't feel any movement but she is only a month pregnant if anything. The still born was because right before she gave birth my stupid cat knocked the cage off the table and two days later she had her babies. I don't know if that had anything to do with it. Anyway the babies are fine and healthy and mama looks great. We'll just have to see what happens

addictivejuliet

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
@lexi43: I had a pregnant guinea pig once, she was pregnant when I got her sadly, but had 4 healthy babies.
If you look at your piggie from above, if she looks sort of pear shaped, she may be pregnant. Where her sides sort of stick out.
Handle her gently until you know. Take her back the vets soon. Guinea pigs are pregnant for approx 60-70 days.
If she is pregnant you should do research online and find out what you can. If she's pregnant she'll need extra vitamin C and extra hay & veggies.
Remember to keep males separate etc and if she has babies again, get them sexed as soon as possible so they don't mate with each other.
Good luck and try hard to make sure it doesn't happen again because your vet said she'd be okay so long as the babies where, but you said she had a still born, so technically they weren't all healthy. Good luck, I hope they're all okay.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.