Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Chewing Looking for a chewing deterrent

CavyEngineer

Cavy Slave
My guinea pigs chew everything-- fleece, coroplast and cage wires. They completely removed the coating from a section of wires in their playpen. I bought them wood houses to distract them. They ignore chew toys made of cardboard. I tried wiping the coroplast with vinegar and they still chew. Does anyone else have this problem?

MrsGuineaPig

Cavy Slave
How big is your cage?

Artista

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
My girl was chewing her coroplast kitchen. I had tp cardboard rolls, willow balls- which she chewed, but still the coroplast was on her list. I finally got report binders put on most of the edges and she tried biting it but sloooooooooooooowly gave up when she couldn't take anything off.

I think maybe some of it is the crunch in things. I find when I give my girl 1st cut timothy hay which has stems and courser leaves, it deters her. It helps. I don't know if anything can completely cure it. I have 1 pig and still from time to time see her going after the coroplast edges, let alone if more are doing it.

So you could line the coroplast edges with report binders. They carry these in the cages store here. As for fleece, my girl can't do anything much because I use fleece flippers so the fleece is pretty taut. Not sure about the cage bars what you can do. I guess as long as they aren't biting through it it's ok. I assume it's bars and not wires.

CavyEngineer

Cavy Slave
My cage is a single level 2x6 c&c with a cover. Bedding is mostly fleece with a 2x1.5 kitchen containing Carefresh.

MrsGuineaPig

Cavy Slave
Sorry, I don't know then. I haven't had these problems, sorry again!

caitlinbenosky

Cavy Slave
try bitter apple spray. spray it on whatever they chew, and it should stop. i got one that's completely natural, no chemicals or anything. completely safe & organic.

Artista

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
try bitter apple spray. spray it on whatever they chew, and it should stop. i got one that's completely natural, no chemicals or anything. completely safe & organic.

It didn't stop my pig nor did vinegar. This stuff dissipates after a bit so she'd be back at it shortly.

Rywen

Cavy Slave
My pigs both chew the cube grids, they've chewed the coating off a lot of them too. They have chew toys and they chew those too.

CavyEngineer

Cavy Slave
How about these metal mesh cubes? Ventilation? Yes. Room for piggie teeth? No.
$%28KGrHqZHJBIE9t%21e7KVFBPkLR9rlhg%7E%7E60_35.JPG

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
People use those especially for little piggies.

CavyEngineer

Cavy Slave
Installed new grids on sides and front of cage. Hopefully, the girls will focus their chewing efforts on the wooden houses.
mesh 2.jpg

pigger123

Cavy Slave
I love your little attack guinea pigs sign!

failur3byh3art

Cavy Slave
My girls tend to chew on the grid bars alot and have managed to get the plastic off to the bare bar. I read somewhere that chewing can come off as a stressing piggy. I had this problem in the past when my cage was built to have 2 floors. They would chew the support bars but I also presumed it was due to the fact they may need more space (6 Girls 3x5). I now have 8 girls in a 3x10 (removed second floor). I've noticed since the cage increase in size, they've calmed down alot with chewing but sometimes chew the coro. If I may ask, what are those grids called? I may want to get myself some of those grid types.

CavyEngineer

Cavy Slave
My girls tend to chew on the grid bars alot and have managed to get the plastic off to the bare bar. I read somewhere that chewing can come off as a stressing piggy. I had this problem in the past when my cage was built to have 2 floors. They would chew the support bars but I also presumed it was due to the fact they may need more space (6 Girls 3x5). I now have 8 girls in a 3x10 (removed second floor). I've noticed since the cage increase in size, they've calmed down alot with chewing but sometimes chew the coro. If I may ask, what are those grids called? I may want to get myself some of those grid types.

I found them on eBay. Strange that they are packaged as 13 grids, but they are. Called Meritline or Merax. I just installed, so I can't speak to any long term problems.

$%28KGrHqNHJBUE9qBBhPokBPkLS%21H0mQ%7E%7E60_57.JPG

Vbgo1ka8lHIAAAAASUVORK5CYII=
grid.jpg

CavyEngineer

Cavy Slave

failur3byh3art

Cavy Slave
I found them on eBay. Strange that they are packaged as 13 grids, but they are. Called Meritline or Merax. I just installed, so I can't speak to any long term problems.

$%28KGrHqNHJBUE9qBBhPokBPkLS%21H0mQ%7E%7E60_57.JPG

Vbgo1ka8lHIAAAAASUVORK5CYII=
View attachment 65541

Oh wow thanks! I remember seeing those grid types in the past somewhere here on the forum but never asked. I definitely want to get myself some and possibly change my cage design.

maddy harper

Cavy Slave
i use citrinella oil if i don't want the piggies to gnaw somewhere
it smells like lemons to us but to them it has a really bitter taste
you could try giving that a go
i've used it before and its usually worked.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.