Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fur Advice: Hard yellow fur under chin

furrytaters

Cavy Slave
Hi all! I've been a cavy mom for 4 years now. With no health problems other than one girl that I lost to a uterine tumor a few months ago, so I've had no reason to post on here. This is a post for Bean, my 1 year old boy (who lives separate from the girls, don't worry!). I noticed today that he has something hard and yellow clumped to the hair on his chin. I thought it was something stuck to his fur, so I tried to wash it away and then clip it away, but he got very fussy and wheeked when I tried that, so I stopped. I didn't draw any blood, so I didn't break the skin. I've attached a photo. Any ideas what this might be???
IMG_2679.jpg

Soecara

Cavy Slave
Looks like boar glue to me (guinea pig ejaculate). It should feel quite hard and rubbery. Leave it be and he will get off on his own eventually or the fur will grow out.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Yep, almost certainly boar glue.

Ditto [MENTION=24757]Soecara[/MENTION], just leave it be. The only thing in the world that seems to get it off is piggy saliva. Just don't pull at it or try to wash it off, you'll only succeed in hurting the little fella. It will come off on it's own or grow out.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
duplicate post. Sorry.

furrytaters

Cavy Slave
I had thought maybe boar glue, just surprised it was all the way up at his face. I've heard of it getting stuck to fur, but this is my first boy so I just hadn't seen it yet.
Thanks guys!!

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I had thought maybe boar glue, just surprised it was all the way up at his face. I've heard of it getting stuck to fur, but this is my first boy so I just hadn't seen it yet.
Thanks guys!!

They can get it on their chin from cleaning themselves, as one of my boars has previously done. And, my two little troublemakers like to mount each other quite often and for the longest time, Scooter didn't care which end he mounted. As a result of that, one time poor Punkin ended up with a blob of boar glue right smack between his eyes.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Actually, they can get it from themselves, no other pig necessary. Not every animal can contort themselves to that degree, but GP's can.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.