Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Conditions Balding spot on new piggie?

Guinepig

Cavy Slave
I just very recently rescued a new piggie and he has a balding spot on side of his tummy? Any suggestions or help on trying to help him?

Guinepig

Cavy Slave
Re: Balding spit on new piggie?

image.jpgHere’s a pic as well

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Is he scratching?

Are you positive he's a he?

How old is he?

Guinepig

Cavy Slave
Is he scratching?

Are you positive he's a he?

How old is he?

I’m not sure if it’s a he. Haven’t seen any signs of it being a he. I just picked him up today and want him to get used to things before I check. He(or she) definitely doesn’t seem that old. Maybe 5ish months maybe 6. Hasn’t been itching a whole lot but is definitely shedding a bunch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guinepig

Cavy Slave
I’m not sure if it’s a he. Haven’t seen any signs of it being a he. I just picked him up today and want him to get used to things before I check. He(or she) definitely doesn’t seem that old. Maybe 5ish months maybe 6. Hasn’t been itching a whole lot but is definitely shedding a bunch

Haven’t felt any lumps or anything either. When I was looking at him/her earlier there were little specks on the fur

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
First, take a look at https://www.cavyspirit.com/sexing.htm and see whether he's male or female. Females can have ovarian cysts which can cause that kind of hair loss, but if he's male, that's not it.

Second, examine the specks carefully. Can you just flick them out of the fur with your finger? or are they stuck to the hair shaft, and you have to pull them off the end of the hair shaft to get them out of the hair?

Did you get him from a rescue or shelter? Pet store? Private owner?

Guinepig

Cavy Slave
First, take a look at https://www.cavyspirit.com/sexing.htm and see whether he's male or female. Females can have ovarian cysts which can cause that kind of hair loss, but if he's male, that's not it.

Second, examine the specks carefully. Can you just flick them out of the fur with your finger? or are they stuck to the hair shaft, and you have to pull them off the end of the hair shaft to get them out of the hair?

Did you get him from a rescue or shelter? Pet store? Private owner?

I got him from a private owner, and I’m going to check when I give him some veggies in a bit. Hopefully it’s not cysts. That’s a pretty hefty vet bill :/

Guinepig

Cavy Slave
I got him from a private owner, and I’m going to check when I give him some veggies in a bit. Hopefully it’s not cysts. That’s a pretty hefty vet bill :/

He’s a she :/ and the specks won’t just like brush away. Have to like pick them out

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Ok, if you have to pick the specks out, they're lice nits, and you need to treat with ivermectin. See https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/111160-How-to-treat-for-mites-and-lice for instructions on how to do that yourself. No need for a vet. Treat once every seven days for 3-4 treatments so you hit all the life cycle of the lice.

If she's only about 5-6 months old, I wouldn't think it would be ovarian cysts. That's more of a middle-aged malady.

Guinepig

Cavy Slave
Ok, if you have to pick the specks out, they're lice nits, and you need to treat with ivermectin. See https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/111160-How-to-treat-for-mites-and-lice for instructions on how to do that yourself. No need for a vet. Treat once every seven days for 3-4 treatments so you hit all the life cycle of the lice.

If she's only about 5-6 months old, I wouldn't think it would be ovarian cysts. That's more of a middle-aged malady.

Okay, I saw there’s a link in the thread which takes me to it on amazon. Thank you so much! It’s a good thing I just got paid lol

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.