Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Size Is a 4x4 C&C cage good for 3 males?

ericj445

Cavy Gazer
I currently have 2 male guinea pigs in a 4x4 c&c cage and I’m planning on getting a third male, possibly even 4 if it is possible. Also do guinea pigs prefer length than width??

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
The cage is large enough, but three males living together fails about 99.98% of the time. Two will probably work, a large herd might work, but three? It's a recipe for disaster, and we never recommend it. It's also entirely possible to wind up with three solo pigs, none of which will live either of the others. If I were you, I'd keep the two I have and forget about a third or fourth.

LaVitaEBella

Cavy Slave
It won't be a good idea to keep three male guineas in a containment even if it the cage is big enough. Same thing goes two female guinea pigs.

Soecara

Cavy Slave
It won't be a good idea to keep three male guineas in a containment even if it the cage is big enough. Same thing goes two female guinea pigs.

You are correct about three boars usually being a bad idea, but it is very common and almost never an issue to keep two females together in a correctly sized cage.

ericj445

Cavy Gazer
The cage is large enough, but three males living together fails about 99.98% of the time. Two will probably work, a large herd might work, but three? It's a recipe for disaster, and we never recommend it. It's also entirely possible to wind up with three solo pigs, none of which will live either of the others. If I were you, I'd keep the two I have and forget about a third or fourth.

Okay thank you. What number would you consider as a "large heard?" Also would it be possible to keep two males and one spayed female? Or vice versa?

Last edited:

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
@Candalala is right -- you can't put multiple males with females, but one male with several females is fine.

And by a large herd I mean five or more, but you need LOTS of room for that many males together.

ericj445

Cavy Gazer
@Candalala is right -- you can't put multiple males with females, but one male with several females is fine.

And by a large herd I mean five or more, but you need LOTS of room for that many males together.

Thank y'all. Also, just curious, how big would the cage have to be for five males? :confused:

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Probably 20 square feet.

But you still don't have much of a chance of making this work. I'd strongly recommend two cages with two pigs in each rather than trying to build a herd.

ericj445

Cavy Gazer
Probably 20 square feet.

But you still don't have much of a chance of making this work. I'd strongly recommend two cages with two pigs in each rather than trying to build a herd.

Don't worry I am going to just keep my 4 by 4 with 2 males :) Thanks.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Good choice! Keep us posted on how you and they are doing!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.