Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Vegetables is this good diet for my 2 female guini pig

jposler

Cavy Slave
I was wondering if this is a good vegtible diet for my guini pig? feed them each a slice of pepper every day,feed them each a leaf of romaine lettuce every other day, feed them a slice of cucumber every other day, feed them a baby carrot every other day. So monday I would feed them the pepper and carrot and tuesday I would feed them pepper,romaine lettuce, and cucumber.

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
that is NOT enough food for them. They need 1 cup of veggies everyday. I feed my two pigs this :
forage includes : grass, peppermint and raspberry leaves.
Monday
AM
Romaine- 6 large leavess
2 baby carrot
Bell pepper- green- 1/4 pepper
Dill

PM
Bell pepper-yellow-1/4 pepper
Cilantro
Strawberry – 2 large
Forage

Tuesday
AM
Romaine/leaf lettuce- 6 large leaves
Tomato – cherry tomato/slice
Cilantro
Bell pepper-orange- 1/4 pepper

PM
Bell pepper-green-1/4 pepper
Cucumber- 1 inch chunk
Dandellion greens- 6 leaves
Forage

Wednesday
AM
Romaine- 6 large leaves
Basil- 2 leaves
Cilantro
Bell pepper-yellow-1/4 pepper

PM
Tomato- cherry/slice
Celery- 4 inch piece
bell pepper-red-1/4 pepper
Forage

Thursday
AM
Cilantro
Romaine/Leaf Lettuce- 6 leaves
Cucumber- 1 inch chunk
Bell pepper-orange- 1/4 pepper
Apple- 1/4 an apple

PM
Celery- 4 inch piece
Bell pepper-green- 1/4 pepper
Dill
Forage

Friday
AM
Basil- 2 leaves
Romaine/leaf lettuce- 6 leaves
Bell pepper-green- 1/4 pepper
Cucumber- 1 inch chunk
Cilantro

PM
Bell pepper- orange- 1/4 pepper
Tomato- cherry/slice
Baby carrot- 2
dandellion greens- 6 leaves
forage

Saturday
AM
Romaine- 6 leaves
Cilantro
Celery- 4 inch chunk
Bell pepper- yellow- 1/4 pepper

PM
Bell pepper-red-1/4
Cucumber- 1inch chunk
Strawberry- 2 large
Forage

Sunday
AM
Romaine/leaf lettuce- 6 leaves
Bell pepper- orange- 1/4 pepper
Apple- 1/4

PM
Cilantro
Bell pepper- yellow- 1/4 pepper
Forage

Zuidy

Cavy Slave
They need 1/4 of a medium sized bell pepper each day, if you are talking about Yellow Bell Pepper. Don't do Romaine, use a Leaf Lettuce, Red or Green Leaf. Romaine often causes White spots in Piggy pee. I would not do Cucumber every day. 2 times a week at most. I do my weekly fruits on Monday and Thursday, and only 2 pieces of each kind. Baby Carrot can be every day, but you want to hand feed them so you can be sure they are only getting 1 a day.

My diet consists of:

1 Leaf of Red Leaf Lettuce each feeding

1/4 Yellow Bell Pepper each feeding

1 Baby Carrot each feeding

2 Pieces of Zucchini each feeding

1 Grape Tomato each feeding

Radicchio, small pieces, each feeding

6 stalks of Cilantro at 1 feeding, usually in the morning

1 Strawberry each feeding on Monday and Thursday only

__

Good luck! This diet has kept my Pigs healthy. I find this chart to be the best thing to refer to for your Piggies diet, @Ly&Pigs worked VERY hard on it!

https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/diet-nutrition/22156-read-me-cavy-nutrition-charts-poisonous-plants-list.html

__

:)

MissJean

Cavy Slave
I'd personally add more variety. Take a peak at this: https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...y-nutrition-charts-poisonous-plants-list.html

There's a lot of nifty daily-safe foods listed. Cilantro, Zucchini, cherry tomatoes, endive. Some of my pig's favorite blue coded veggies (2-4x a week veggies) are snap peas, parsley, and arugula.

Just be sure to read that link carefully, there's some notes explaining things further. Variety makes things fun for them, as well as makes sure they're getting all their nutrients.

Take note of white urine deposits, too. Being observant of that gave me a great indicator on what I should feed and how often. Romaine can cause some pigs to leave white spots. If you see this try switching over to red or green leaf lettuce.

Zuidy

Cavy Slave
@madelineelaine

6 LEAVES of Romaine Lettuce? That would be way more than a CUP of Veggies in itself!

MissJean

Cavy Slave
6 does sound a bit excessive, but I guess it would depend on what portion of the head you're down to. The inner parts can be teeny tiny. =)

jposler

Cavy Slave
I heard somewhere that the amount of vegtibles is okay if it measures to 1 cup per guini pig. So if I chop up all the vegtibles and put it in a mearuring cup and looks about 2 cups because I have 2 guini pigs then is it enough? Also some of the vegtibles you have in your guini pig diets I cant get.

Heres my new diet how is this

one large leaf of romaine lettuce per guini pig (daily)
one baby carrot per guini pig (daily)
one shice of a green bell pepper per guini pig (daily)
slice of a cucumber per guini pig (every other day)

Zuidy

Cavy Slave
I heard somewhere that the amount of vegtibles is okay if it measures to 1 cup per guini pig. So if I chop up all the vegtibles and put it in a mearuring cup and looks about 2 cups because I have 2 guini pigs then is it enough? Also some of the vegtibles you have in your guini pig diets I cant get.

Again, as I said, use Red or Green leaf lettuce ideally. Romaine can cause White Spots in their pee.

They need Vitamin C, and while a Green Pepper does have some, a Yellow Bell Pepper would be the best. And they can't have just 1 slice, they need to have 1/4 of it.

Not a slice of Cucumber every other day, 2 times a week at most. Monday and Thursday are when I give my Blue-coded Veggies.

tabikat55

Cavy Slave
1. Unlimited Hay
2. Mixture of Leaf Lettuce (Romane, Red Leaf, Curley Leaf)
3. 1 inch Cucumber (cut in quarters)
4. 2 spings on Cilantro
5. 1/4 inch Green Pepper
6. 2 or 3 Corn Husks (torn in strips)
7. 2 springs Parsley
8. Grape Tomato 1 each

These are given 2x's a day and a cup per pig.

Treats are given once a week only due the fact that these are all sweet. Any one can be given just not more than one.

1. 1 Baby Carrot each
2. Bananna Slice each
3. Strawberry 1/2 each
4. Watermellon or Cantalope 1 inch cube

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
I don't give them romaine anymore, I give them leaf lettuce from the garden ! :p The leaves are tiny. They easily devour it, and still eat lots of hay. It's only 3 for each of them.

MissJean

Cavy Slave
Again, as I said, use Red or Green leaf lettuce ideally. Romaine can cause White Spots in their pee.

They need Vitamin C, and while a Green Pepper does have some, a Yellow Bell Pepper would be the best. And they can't have just 1 slice, they need to have 1/4 of it.

Not a slice of Cucumber every other day, 2 times a week at most. Monday and Thursday are when I give my Blue-coded Veggies.

To be perfectly honest, I feed mostly green bell peppers. Often I only feed 1/8 of the pepper if I'm feeding things like cilantro or parsley that day. Vitamin C isn't something I worry too much over. To be fair, the bell peppers are ginormous over here.

MissJean

Cavy Slave
When you feed your pigs the sugar snap peas do you give them the entire pod? Do you also give them only one pod per pig?

I give the entire pod. Depending on their size, I'll give one or two per pig. Depending on where I'm getting them they're either big or itty bitty. You can get them cheaply from open bins and picking out as many as you want. Just make sure you rinse them off thoroughly.

MrWhistles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
@madelineelaine

6 LEAVES of Romaine Lettuce? That would be way more than a CUP of Veggies in itself!

6 does sound a bit excessive, but I guess it would depend on what portion of the head you're down to. The inner parts can be teeny tiny. =)

Agreed
But even close to the head. There aren't enough small pieces to do a whole week with 6 leafs.

Here is Whistles current week of veggies(i rotate his veggies weekly)
Everyday of THIS week he gets:
1 leaf of green leaf lettuce(depending on how big the leaf is)
1 ring of green bell pepper(diced)
1 slice of tomato
1 INCH of a whole carrot(depending on thickness)
6-8 sticks of clinatro

Also, every Tuesday, Thursday/Saturday he is getting 1-2 red grapes. Depending on their sizes.

Your guinea pig should receive 1 cup of veggies per day per pig.

MrWhistles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave

Change out the romaine lettuce for either a red or green leaf lettuce. So many users have issues with Romaine lettuce. White spots in urine. My guinea pig actually got impacted from romaine lettuce.
Cucumbers are mainly water/have low nutrient value. So I'd trade that out for either cherry tomatoes or clinatro.
I'd also try adding some fruit every other day.

Do you have a Win Dixie near by? Their veggies are VERY affordable and very fresh.

PetsRLife23

Cavy Slave
I have always fed my pigs green leaf lettuce because I always thought it looked better, but I always read romaine should be a staple so I am glad I have read this post. I feel better about my choices now. :)

xxSmallAnimalxx

Cavy Slave
Could someone please please please help me!

could ye please tell me what would be a good diet for two 4 month old female abbysianian guinea pigs please! i really need to know!

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
same as with any adult pig, although they need unlimited hay (as always) and pellets. Pellets can be timothy or alfalfa based, although after 6 months alfalfa pellets aren't the best choice. Pigs that young need extra calcium, so feed a veggie high in calcium, such as parsely, every other day.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
@PetsRLife23, @madelineelaine, @jposler, romaine is not always a good choice. Some pigs will have powdery/sludgy urine because they excrete excess calcium when they're fed romaine. My own two can't eat it without having urinary tract problems. So watch for white dried spots in the bedding in your cage, and if you find them, switch your pigs to red or green leaf lettuce.

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
I did start seeing some white powdery spots from my female, and since I've switched to leaf lettuce they've been few and far between.

Belas.human.mom

Cavy Slave
Where can I get dandelion greens and can they eat dill weed?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.