Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Is Poop as well contained in a 1x2 loft over 2x3 formation as a regular 2x4?

Piggie65

Cavy Gazer
In the interest of floor space, I’m thinking about making a 1x2 kitchen over a 2x3 living area, but am not sure if piggies will go upstairs just to do their business.

What do you think?

ellaavery

Cavy Gazer
hello! I am interested..!!

pigmommy89

Cavy Slave
They potty the most where they eat. So if you feed them in the loft you will contain some of it. But you will likely never completely potty train them. They go where they want. But I wouldn't make the main floor smaller. They need room to run around.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Also, a 1x2 loft is pretty small. If you've got boars, that may not give them enough room to get by each other without squabbling. Look at the photo gallieries of cages with offset lofts that are 2x2 or larger.

But containing the poop is largely a matter of how high the walls are.

Piggie65

Cavy Gazer
They potty the most where they eat. So if you feed them in the loft you will contain some of it. But you will likely never completely potty train them. They go where they want. But I wouldn't make the main floor smaller. They need room to run around.

Oh I should have included more info. My original plan was to make a 2x4 C&c home with 1x2 kitchen at one end. In that case the running area would still be 2x3, like the loft configuration. And space is pushing me to choose sows over boars.

I understand they eat while pooping and vice versa. Just don't know enough about piggies behaviorally like if they are in their bedroom area and need to poop will they run over to the (covered) kitchen to go? I've read they prefer covered areas to poop. Or just poop wherever they happen to be? Not trying to potty train, just hoping to work with the odds...😬

Piggie65

Cavy Gazer
Also, a 1x2 loft is pretty small. If you've got boars, that may not give them enough room to get by each other without squabbling. Look at the photo gallieries of cages with offset lofts that are 2x2 or larger.

But containing the poop is largely a matter of how high the walls are.

�� like...the poop will shoot out like from poop cannons??

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
No, of course not. But they'll scratch it out as they run around the cage. I used six-inch high coroplast walls to keep the poop in the cage.

Piggie65

Cavy Gazer
No, of course not. But they'll scratch it out as they run around the cage. I used six-inch high coroplast walls to keep the poop in the cage.

Oh good, so the coroplast bases sold in the store will do the trick.

MaiaBex

Cavy Slave
I understand they eat while pooping and vice versa. Just don't know enough about piggies behaviorally like if they are in their bedroom area and need to poop will they run over to the (covered) kitchen to go? I've read they prefer covered areas to poop. Or just poop wherever they happen to be? Not trying to potty train, just hoping to work with the odds...
They poop wherever they happen to be. I've lucked out in that my two pee mostly just in their kitchen area, but they poop everywhere. And be forewarned: some aren't too discriminate about where they pee either... Just because they prefer covered areas doesn't mean they only go in covered areas.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.