Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Brands KMS Hayloft

HappyPiggies14

Cavy Slave
Oh...my...goodness! Just got my very first order of bluegrass and Timothy based pellets from KMS yesterday. I completely filled the hay bin last night, and it was GONE this morning!! They never did that with orchard grass from oxbow or kaytee!! This stuff is so fresh and smells so delicious, I even want to eat it!!! I know I'm not the first to say it on this forum, but I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND!! Shipping is a bit expensive, but so worth it!!! My girls are happy!!! Happy piggies, happy mommy!

pigger123

Cavy Slave
Awesome! I've been reading about how nice this year's bluegrass is, and I want to try it. My pigs are still only halfway through their old 45lb box though...

C. Cole-Chakotay

Cavy Slave
My girls also enjoy KMS 3rd cut Timothy, bluegrass, and Timothy pellets.

MLT2007

Cavy Slave
My girls LOVED the first 2 bags of KS pellets I bought, but this third one is going to last me a long time. They don't eat their pellets like they used to, and it started exactly when I got the new bag. I wonder if I got a less tasty batch this time.

blessedmom

Cavy Slave
Oh...my...goodness! Just got my very first order of bluegrass and Timothy based pellets from KMS yesterday. I completely filled the hay bin last night, and it was GONE this morning!! They never did that with orchard grass from oxbow or kaytee!! This stuff is so fresh and smells so delicious, I even want to eat it!!! I know I'm not the first to say it on this forum, but I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND!! Shipping is a bit expensive, but so worth it!!! My girls are happy!!! Happy piggies, happy mommy!
I have been wanting to order some too. Did you get 1st, 2nd or 3rd cut? That part confuses me.

LuvCavysLuvCats

Cavy Slave
@blessedmom 1st cut means that was literally the first cut of the season, after they cut it they let it grow again and then cut it a second time, the 2nd cut, and they let it re-grow one more time, the 3rd cut. The 1st cut is very stalky and really no one gets this kind for their piggies. (Though a few do.) 2nd cut is softer but still has stalky and harder pieces, I think this is the most popular cut to get for pigs. 3rd cut is very soft and very green, hardly any hard pieces, it's also very popular.

I get 3rd cut because my pigs refuse to eat ANY hard pieces (total divas lol) I get my third cut from KMS as well and my girls LOVE IT. I really haven't read of a guinea pig not liking the 3rd cut yet...

Edit: I was explaining the cuts for Timothy hay not Bluegrass. KMS hayloft doesn't specify which cut it is for bluegrass because I think all the cuts have the same feel? (Which from what I've gathered is very similar to the 3rd cut Timothy hay. Many pigs go NUTS for the bluegrass... though I haven't tried it yet.)

Last edited:

HappyPiggies14

Cavy Slave
I got bluegrass, so there aren't different cuts of that...

blessedmom

Cavy Slave
[MENTION=32282]blessedmom[/MENTION] 1st cut means that was literally the first cut of the season, after they cut it they let it grow again and then cut it a second time, the 2nd cut, and they let it re-grow one more time, the 3rd cut. The 1st cut is very stalky and really no one gets this kind for their piggies. (Though a few do.) 2nd cut is softer but still has stalky and harder pieces, I think this is the most popular cut to get for pigs. 3rd cut is very soft and very green, hardly any hard pieces, it's also very popular.

I get 3rd cut because my pigs refuse to eat ANY hard pieces (total divas lol) I get my third cut from KMS as well and my girls LOVE IT. I really haven't read of a guinea pig not liking the 3rd cut yet...

Edit: I was explaining the cuts for Timothy hay not Bluegrass. KMS hayloft doesn't specify which cut it is for bluegrass because I think all the cuts have the same feel? (Which from what I've gathered is very similar to the 3rd cut Timothy hay. Many pigs go NUTS for the bluegrass... though I haven't tried it yet.)
Thank you so much for the excellent explanation!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.