Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Omg... It has been ordered. :o

MrCavyMadness

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Its MrCavyMadness

joys_cavies

Cavy Slave

Hazel Hammy

Cavy Slave
~~~~~~~~

AHH UPDATE:

Guys.... It came! It finally came! I'm not allowed to open the Midwest until Christmas, but I am slowly dying inside. xD

joys_cavies

Cavy Slave
Oh. I just commented on your recent post on ig. I changed my name to @mylovelypets___

joys_cavies

Cavy Slave
No I don't because I don't have a hamster

blessedmom

Cavy Slave
@hazelhammy - is it a lot different caring for a hamster than GPigs? We had hamsters as kids and they were relatively easy to care for (but I I don't know if we were really doing things correctly). When I researched GPig care I was surprised at the level of work involved (worth every bit of course), so I wonder if good hamster care is similar to GPigs or are they easier?

labgirl5

Cavy Slave
@hazelhammy - is it a lot different caring for a hamster than GPigs? We had hamsters as kids and they were relatively easy to care for (but I I don't know if we were really doing things correctly). When I researched GPig care I was surprised at the level of work involved (worth every bit of course), so I wonder if good hamster care is similar to GPigs or are they easier?

I'm not Hazel Hammy, but I have experience with both pets as well! In my experience, hamsters are much less work than guinea pigs. They don't require daily veggies (although they are a good addition to their main food mix in small quantities), and unlike guinea pigs, a plain pellet is not recommended for hamsters - they're natural foragers, so a variety of seeds, nuts, herbs, and dried fruits is a must. They also should be on paper-based bedding or aspen (not fleece, as hamsters are burrowers), and they require their cage to be cleaned every week or more, depending on the size of the cage. Similar to guinea pigs, pet store cages are way too small for hamsters. The minimum for one hamster is 360 sq. inches (equal to a 20 gallon long tank), preferably more.

Hazel Hammy

Cavy Slave
I think labgirl5 has answered most of it, but I have a few things to add. :) First off, they have much smaller toys (depending on species) so the toys are generally less expensive. Also, the winter white dwarf, hybrid dwarf, chinese, and campbell's dwarf hamsters are prone to diabetes, so they require special caution to insure they don't develop it. However, if no fruit/sugar is fed then they can go into shock. As labgirl5 mentioned, hamsters are foragers so they need a mixture of seeds and pellets, with a full diet range of 17-22% protein, 8-10% fiber, and 3-6% fat; which can be difficult to find. If hamsters are on Soft Wood, Pine, or Cedar bedding, (kiln dried or not) they can develop respiratory illnesses which have to be treated with thyme. :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.