Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Skin Problems Open wound and hair loss - possible ringworm?

romeopig

Cavy Slave
Hi all,

I was petting my guinea pig tonight and noticed I felt a big lump on his side. I went to inspect and noticed that he had what looked like a ton of dandruff on one particular spot and very loose clumps of hair with dandruff at the end. Some of the hair was already falling out in huge clumps so I just removed it. The biggest clump looked like it had also come loose and underneath it was just very red and raw skin. I didn't detach it because I was scared I would hurt him, but it is VERY lose and i'm worried he'll hurt himself. I haven't noticed him itching at all and I keep his cage very clean (vacuum three times a day, wash fleece once every 5 days, clean bowls and water bottle, etc). I also have another guinea pig who I have tried to introduce him to and they got in a little tussle the other day. I didn't think that he got hurt, but I'm wondering if this is either an injury or if it's ringworm. Any help would be appreciated!

mtk2000

Cavy Slave
Could it be a cyst or abscess? Pictures if you can would be helpful. @bpatters

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
We need a picture if we're going to have a chance to identify it.

romeopig

Cavy Slave
Unfortunately my camera is really terrible but i tried my best. One pic just shows how there is like white dandruff attached to the hair that is coming off. I just looked and it looks like the big scab came off. I'm worried he'll scratch at the wound overnight - I have vetricyn to use on my other pig's bumblefoot and am wondering if that would be okay to use on this for now
. 0224142104.jpg0224142103.jpg

romeopig

Cavy Slave
Any advice on this? It looked like the open wound scabbed over last night - he still has some dandruff attached to the hair surrounding it.

romeopig

Cavy Slave
Thank you! I'll wash everything tonight, including the other piggies cage. Is it necessary to do the Nizoral bath if I'm using the Lotrimin on his wound twice a day?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
No, the Lotrimin should do the trick. And I think Nizoral may have been taken off the market in some countries, anyway.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.