Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Can it work?

MrWhistles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I want to build a C&C cage with a stand like this: cept the cage is going to be 2X4
Guinea_Pig_016.jpg

I'm crunching the numbers and saw that it would be helluva lot cheaper to purchase the grids/coroplast direct from the forums site. But it'll still be a bit tight.

Anyhow, my question is: Can I remove the 12 grids on the bottom of the cage base (right underneath the coroplast) and put the coroplast ontop of the stand pieces?
I attached an example I made from using Paint. It is a view of the top of the stand. Like you would be looking down into the cage.
stand top view.jpg
Black lines are the grids on the outside of the cage
green lines are the end cubs of the stand (cubes like in the photo above)
Blue Lines are the middle grids inside the cubes (i am still currently decided wither or not to have those
Red line is a "grid wall" in the exact center of the cage/stand
Purple lines are grids going on both sides of the red lines

So going off what I provided. Would the coroplast be thick and sturdy enough to not need a grid bottom? The stand will end up being zip tied all over the outside and where each of them would come together at the bottom.

Petlovr

Cavy Slave
I don't understand how the grids are cheaper here, then ordering from Wal Mart (free shipping to store), going to bed Bath & Beyond with a coupon, and calling a sign store in your town for the coroplast?

Anyway, I'd say that your idea would work, but the corners won't be supported, so that would be a weak spot. The only other thing is that over time, I think the coro would start to wear from pressure points. I think it's better to have the base. Can you look into a very thin sheet of brown board or plywood from Home Depot for the base? I don't know that it's any cheaper, but it's worth looking into.

MrWhistles

Cavy Slave
I don't understand how the grids are cheaper here, then ordering from Wal Mart (free shipping to store), going to bed Bath & Beyond with a coupon, and calling a sign store in your town for the coroplast?

Anyway, I'd say that your idea would work, but the corners won't be supported, so that would be a weak spot. The only other thing is that over time, I think the coro would start to wear from pressure points. I think it's better to have the base. Can you look into a very thin sheet of brown board or plywood from Home Depot for the base? I don't know that it's any cheaper, but it's worth looking into.

All the stores I looked into only sell 4 grids for $20. And the forum's website sells them at $1.80 for 1 grid. So EVEN with a coupon, it is still so much more expensive than buying from the forum's website.

TYVM for the idea.

I just informed hubs of the cost and he is currently thinking on it. I hope that he will allow me to purchase the supplies.

jowasaurus

Cavy Slave
And that's what I get for not paying attention and just getting excited.
K-mart has the same set as Sears does, of course. Thanks, @mmas4 for knowing about them too. haha

lissie

Cavy Slave
I think you misunderstood the quantity in the box. A 4-cube box usually contain 16 grids, and 6-cube box usually contain 23 grids. You can count the grids from the picture on the box.

If you buy 16 single grids from the site, that's already $28 without shipping.

It's much cheaper to buy the box from Walmart or Sears.

MrWhistles

Cavy Slave
I'll run to one of the stores and double check it.

jacqueline

Cavy Slave
i have a 2X5 and a 2X3, which originally were on a stand made of two level cubes. i personally don't trust that the coro base, without grids under it is sturdy enough. it's probably more a personal feeling thing though. it would also depend on how many pigs, and whatever else you have in their cage i think. it does seem like a waste of grids, to have them on the bottom, but i want the extra support under the coro.

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
Yes, MrWhistles, they say "4 cubes" because people usually use them to create bookshelves or just storage for dorm rooms, etc. The "cube" is 5 grids (4 sides and 1 back). So a 4 cube set is 20 grids. They sell them at Bed, Bath and Beyond for $18.

MrWhistles

Cavy Slave
Tyvm for the responses everyone. I ran to Wally world and found some similar grids. Metal outside and plastic covering with holes. I felt it would block his view too much and he might naw on them and break out.
I had ran to a few other smaller cheaper stores
With no luck. Running to another Wally world b my house right now.

pinky

Cavy Slave
If you shop at Kmart or Sears and use your preferred card, you accumulate points you can apply to your purchases. I got grids for almost nothing from Kmart that way.

MrWhistles

Cavy Slave
I could not find any grids at wally world tonight

Sometime next week (hopefully Monday) I'll run to Bath and Body Works to check out those grids.
I've searched online for Sears and Kmart and they are quite expensive. And I do not have a preferred card.

MrWhistles

Cavy Slave
Hmmm.....I don't know where you are looking! Grids at Sears are typically about $20 and you can have them shipped to your local dealer and avoid shipping charges to your home.

(broken link removed)
(broken link removed)

xXMaggieXx

Cavy Slave
Wire Cubes I found this website! ITs really good for grids and connectors!

Petlovr

Cavy Slave
I find it amazing you can see the exact same product at Sears for 2 totally different prices.
(I'll never understand it...)

(broken link removed) use the links (broken link removed) gave you at the top. Wal Mart has site to store free shipping, you just order on line, have it sent to the store, go in and pick it up - Whitmor White Wire Storage Cubes, Four Cubes Interlocked - Walmart.com They have white and black. Bed Bath & Beyond only has black - (broken link removed). If you sign up on line for emails from BB&B, you can get a coupon, and their cubes hace 2 extra grids to make shelves inside the cube (they split the cube in half).

So 2 boxes of cubes @ $20 each, another $15 for a sheet of coroplast (unless you're like me, and you cut it wrong and have to get another sheet :sad:), and a jumbo bag of zip ties for $5 or $6 (I used the thicker ones that are 6-8 inches long), and Mr Whistles can have his new cage for about $60. You can even set his current cage base inside the new cage and use that as a "kitchen". ( I really like the way you decorated his current cage) Just click on the blue parts, and it takes you right to the correct page.

jowasaurus

Cavy Slave
@MrWhistles we gave you the links for the cheapest grids! It is a 6 cube set!! That is 23 grids for $21.99. You could possibly get 2 boxes, more than enough for the C&C you were thinking of and extra to make hay racks, tops for fleece forests, etc!

MrWhistles

Cavy Slave
I'm done. I'm trying to find the cheapest darned set of grids. Right now I don't feel like buying from them online and waiting for them to ship to store.
I do nothing but clean houses all damned day then I come home and cook dinner for 3 huge men. I never get to go out and do anything. SO FORGIVE ME FOR WANTING TO WALK THROUGH SEVERAL STORES TO FIND WHAT I'M LOOKING FOR!

@jowasaurus you basically helped break the camel's back. The way you typed made me think you are yelling at me.

MrWhistles

Cavy Slave
You obviously have other issues going on right now, not just with grids. Please understand that many long-time members who post on this forum spend an inordinate amount of time trying to help those less experienced. When people ask for advice and then choose to ignore it, we get frustrated......especially when they ask the same questions over and over. Try to put yourself in jowasaurus's place.

We can't fix your life, but we can sure help you make the best life for your cavies. Hang in there. :cheerful:

Your right. I do have a few issues at home regarding 3 certain men. BUT I am not asking the same questions over and over. I had asked if my idea for the cage would work. I did not ask where to buy the grids at the best possible deal. I had already made a thread like that and got my andwers. I did not the time THEN to go running to various different stores to actually see that the packages held more than 4 GRIDS and that they actually held enough grids to make 4 CUBES. But now I do.

I am in the wrong for expressing my stress over the net with helpful users here. But I also have not ONCE asked the same question over and over. I do my research before asking questions.

I do appericate yalls help. And my CAVY (currently not cavies) will have the best life I can provide for him.

jowasaurus

Cavy Slave
I was in no way trying to yell at you. It is a little aggravating when links are given to someone and they continue to say they cannot find something of what the links are actually providing.

Anyways, I really think the coroplast needs a stable flat surface to sit on or it will start to warp a little with time. With my cage, the coroplast is just a little too bit and lays on the connectors so when Bocefus and Waylon jump around, it pops up and makes noise too and after about 3 months, it is curved up a little even when taken out of the grids.
With that point, I was just trying to provide the cheapest grids so that you would have enough to complete the cage instead of cutting corners or missing grids. And having a few extra in a time of need or to make a carrier is never a bad thing.

AND I DIDN'T TYPE IN ALL CAPS SO IT WASN'T REALLY LIKE I WAS SCREAMING ANYWAYS.
I'm not there(^) either, but just wanted to type that way too.

Good luck with the home situation. This forum is also a great place to talk about things other than guinea pigs if you feel like you don't have anyone to talk to. We're still people with life experience other than guinea pig care!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.