Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pellets [Japan]Should I change or keep the pellets they have?

twebb92

Cavy Slave
Hi, so since I've gotten my piggies almost a month ago I've been trying to switch them over to oxbow but they really seem to like the other pellets better. They don't eat the Oxbow as much as they just pee on it. When I put both in my hand they will only eat the other pellets. I know that the old pellets are Timothy based there is 1200mg of vitamin C, and 0.8% calcium. Their old food is cheaper for me since Oxbow is a foreign brand it costs more. But I'm not sure what I should do. I added a picture but it's all in Japanese so I'm not sure how much help it will be. If you have any questions that would be more help then I would be happy to answer them.

1502968098291607024761.jpg1502968156000-1170898755.jpg

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Those are pretty high in calcium. I'd switch to the Oxbow. Just switch them cold turkey -- they'll either eat them or they won't.

Soecara

Cavy Slave
From what I can make out (by pasting the image into a program that turns it into just the writing and then pasting that text into google translate - which I'm sure you are aware isn't entirely reliable), nothing jumps out at me as particularly bad. Have a read of this page and see if any of the ingredients that are listed as things to avoid are included in these pellets, https://www.guinealynx.info/pellets.html

If nothing on that avoid list is in them, and they don't contain limestone or calcium carbonate as an ingredient then they may not be all that bad. Is that the min or max amount of calcium? Even oxbow lists a max calcium of 0.85%, though oxbow does have a min calcium of 0.35%.

Also the phosphorus levels in these pellets are 0.4% correct? If so that is a calcium to phosphorus ratio of 2:1 which is okay.

stray hares

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
0.8% "or higher" calcium from what I can tell. I'm a little rusty though, ha.

twebb92

Cavy Slave
I believe it is up to 0.8%. I will compare the two and see.

It would be better if I could use the Japanese brand because they carry it in more stores. Oxbow is only in one store in the city.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
From what I can make out (by pasting the image into a program that turns it into just the writing and then pasting that text into google translate - which I'm sure you are aware isn't entirely reliable), nothing jumps out at me as particularly bad.

You are SO clever and resourceful! What program are you referring to in the first instance?

Soecara

Cavy Slave
You are SO clever and resourceful! What program are you referring to in the first instance?

An Optical Character Recognition program, there are free ones online you can use if you google "image to text" or there are programs you can purchase and have on your computer itself. Some are a little more reliable than others, but if you just compare the text it produces to the text you can see on the image you can compare how accurate it is/isn't.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
An Optical Character Recognition program

Of course........I knew that! (slaps self on forehead) :rolleyes: I have used the OCR function in the past, but didn't even think of it in this instance. Thanks for enlightening me!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.