Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Coroplast Alternatives Coroplast alternative plywood?

photosavvy

Cavy Slave
My friend used plywood as an alternative, so i'm doing my research on how i want to do my C&C cage. what type of plywood would be best to use for it?

Nessy

Cavy Slave
Plywood disintigrates if it gets wet too many times. I think you can get plywood that has a water proof laminate on one side, but if moisture seeps round th edges/joins then it will still warp/disintigrate. Does your friend use a waterproof liner in addition the the plywood?

photosavvy

Cavy Slave
@Nessy yes. He doesn't remember the name of it though although I really would like to know the name for my cage purposes. I'm hoping to make this cage a multi level one so everybody drop advice and links to materials that i can get at stores here in the US please. my budget is $90.00

photosavvy

Cavy Slave
I found a link to something I think will work, I would like opinions on this so check it out.
(broken link removed)

Nessy

Cavy Slave
I built my cage to grid dimensions using wire mesh panels. They are easy enough to cut and file with pliers a a metal file. I did have to use a support though which ran along the length of the cage under the mesh 'shelf', and I used corroplast to line it as obviously it would be unsafe for a guinea pig to walk on wire mesh!

I think the material you use may in part be determined by the size of your upper level. How big will it be? :)

sdpiggylvr

Cavy Slave
I don't know about the safety of that waterproof laminate. I would just go for coroplast if you can -- it's easy to clean and will not absorb urine like plywood.

photosavvy

Cavy Slave
I think I'll go with chloroplast, I want the bottom to be 28 inches by 56 inches

photosavvy

Cavy Slave
I'm not sure about the top yet.

progiggleboxer

Cavy Slave
My cage is the same dimensions and I used two sheets between the three sections of the two story cage. My sides go up about 4 inches, and the HomeDepot sheets were perfect.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.