Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C Question about hay racks in cage store

emcronc

Cavy Slave
I'm looking for some feedback on any of the bay racks that are sold in the cage store. I'm considering the small wire one, the large wire one, or one of the coroplast ones. I have a 2x4 cage and for now am using a ferret litter box at one end with a wooden hay rack hanging at the back of it. It's about the size of one grid. My main goal is to find something that the hay doesn't just fall out of like it does from my current hay rack so the hay will last longer and stay cleaner. I recently had a problem with one of my girls eating the coroplast edges of the cage and had to cover them with fleece. So I'm a little hesitant to go the coroplast route, but still curious to hear feedback on that one. Thanks!

LoveMyPigs25

Cavy Slave
I use hay bags and love them. I've tried all your options and like hay bags the best. The hay stays in except what they pull out and stays clean. Which means more hay for them to eat and less waste. I have 5 girls and use two hay bags and two puppy go here small litter boxes under them. You can get hay bags at the cage store or on etsy, I get mine on etsy from peeweespiggiepalace.

Saylavi

Cavy Slave
I use hay bags and a suet feeder from lowes, the suet feeder doesn't let any hay fall out since the grids are about 1cm

CavyChrissy

Cavy Slave
I use hay bags and love them. I've tried all your options and like hay bags the best. The hay stays in except what they pull out and stays clean. Which means more hay for them to eat and less waste. I have 5 girls and use two hay bags and two puppy go here small litter boxes under them. You can get hay bags at the cage store or on etsy, I get mine on etsy from peeweespiggiepalace.
@LoveMyPigs25 wondering if you could add a picture of your hay bag? I actually made one yesterday and my girls have defeated it already. They like it fine. But they managed to pull a bunch of hay out on to the fleece! I'm hoping to find a hay rack/bag solution that will not drop much hay on the fleece. I don't want a kitchen - I've tried one many times and they still poo and pee all over the cage, so there's no point in having an additional thing (the kitchen) for me to clean.

WP_20160103_002.jpg

LoveMyPigs25

Cavy Slave
@LoveMyPigs25 wondering if you could add a picture of your hay bag? I actually made one yesterday and my girls have defeated it already. They like it fine. But they managed to pull a bunch of hay out on to the fleece! I'm hoping to find a hay rack/bag solution that will not drop much hay on the fleece. I don't want a kitchen - I've tried one many times and they still poo and pee all over the cage, so there's no point in having an additional thing (the kitchen) for me to clean.

View attachment 77840
image.jpegSorry the light was shining in.

PiggyGrandma15

Cavy Slave
I was having issues of hay all over the place and it was driving my OCD nuts. My issue is that I have pigs that love to burrow. They want enough hay on the ground to burrow into it. And then it gets all over the place. I needed to find a way to let them burrow, without making a mess.

Then I was cleaning out my pantry and found a box .. and I thought ... hmmmm. It wasn't wax covered so I thought "Why not?" Well, can I just say that the hay stayed put. I mean there was a little out in the kitchen, but since I added the box in between clean outs, I couldn't be sure.

Then this morning, full cage / fleece clean out day, my daughter wanted to hold a pig in her Build-a-bear box and my eyes lit up like Christmas morning. I cut it so that the existing holes on each side were low enough for our young pigs to get into it and I crossed out "Bear" to write "Pig" (so now the box says "Build - a - Pig") and oh my gosh it is glorious. The ONLY hay currently outside the boxes is the hay that *I* dropped when I was getting stuff situated. They are happy as can be and were wheeking for like a half hour straight happily burrowing into the box and just having a grand ole time.

Here's pictures of proof, by the by, the cage was CLEANED at 9 am. I swear, I haven't done anything else since then. On the back side of the box (where Callie is hanging out in the middle pic) and behind the box in the loft seems to be where the poo has gathered since then.

20160103_153937.jpg20160103_153946.jpg20160103_153954.jpg

LoveMyPigs25

Cavy Slave
I was having issues of hay all over the place and it was driving my OCD nuts. My issue is that I have pigs that love to burrow. They want enough hay on the ground to burrow into it. And then it gets all over the place. I needed to find a way to let them burrow, without making a mess.

Then I was cleaning out my pantry and found a box .. and I thought ... hmmmm. It wasn't wax covered so I thought "Why not?" Well, can I just say that the hay stayed put. I mean there was a little out in the kitchen, but since I added the box in between clean outs, I couldn't be sure.

Then this morning, full cage / fleece clean out day, my daughter wanted to hold a pig in her Build-a-bear box and my eyes lit up like Christmas morning. I cut it so that the existing holes on each side were low enough for our young pigs to get into it and I crossed out "Bear" to write "Pig" (so now the box says "Build - a - Pig") and oh my gosh it is glorious. The ONLY hay currently outside the boxes is the hay that *I* dropped when I was getting stuff situated. They are happy as can be and were wheeking for like a half hour straight happily burrowing into the box and just having a grand ole time.

Here's pictures of proof, by the by, the cage was CLEANED at 9 am. I swear, I haven't done anything else since then. On the back side of the box (where Callie is hanging out in the middle pic) and behind the box in the loft seems to be where the poo has gathered since then.

View attachment 77844View attachment 77845View attachment 77846[/QUOTE
my girls would totally be sitting in there. Lol

CavyChrissy

Cavy Slave
@PiggyGrandma15 do you clean out the box every day? Do they pee in it?

LoveMyPigs25

Cavy Slave

View attachment 77840
@CavyChrissy
I feel your pain. I feel like I've tried everything to keep the hay off the fleece. It is such a hugh pain to get the hay off the fleece before washing. I have five girls that poop EVERYWHERE, I just went back to the litter box under the hay bag.
For now, I figured it is easier to dump the litter box every few days then to try and fight with getting hay off fleece.
I am putting a thin layer of wood pellets in the litter box, just enough to cover the bottom. When I used just potty pads under the hay bags they pulled the hay out and it got everywhere. That led to more laundry with the pee and having to change the pads every day. Maybe there will be some new ideas here to try. Lol

PiggyGrandma15

Cavy Slave
I planned to reevaluate how often to cpean the build-a-pig box when I get down there this morning to take a look. I did put newspaper and a towel down before rhe hat, so we will see.

PiggyGrandma15

Cavy Slave
I just did the cage this morning. I pulled the towel out of the build a pig box, and broight the remaining hat with it. The towel was dry. So for yesterday at least, they didnt pee in there. If the hay was so much as damp it would be pitched, but honest, the kitchen has been getting loaded with hay. I only changed it out every 4th day or so. The kitchen itself was wet and got new paper and towels this morning, but the box itself was fine. For now.

CavyLover546

Cavy Gazer
I'm looking for some feedback on any of the bay racks that are sold in the cage store. I'm considering the small wire one, the large wire one, or one of the coroplast ones. I have a 2x4 cage and for now am using a ferret litter box at one end with a wooden hay rack hanging at the back of it. It's about the size of one grid. My main goal is to find something that the hay doesn't just fall out of like it does from my current hay rack so the hay will last longer and stay cleaner. I recently had a problem with one of my girls eating the coroplast edges of the cage and had to cover them with fleece. So I'm a little hesitant to go the coroplast route, but still curious to hear feedback on that one. Thanks!

I use a plastic type hay rack which I got at Petco. I suggest this because it is easy to remove from the cage and put hay in, you just need to insert the hay. The only problem is that it's easy for my piggies to knock it down.
Hope this helped.

PiggyGrandma15

Cavy Slave
I use a plastic type hay rack which I got at Petco. I suggest this because it is easy to remove from the cage and put hay in, you just need to insert the hay. The only problem is that it's easy for my piggies to knock it down.
Hope this helped.
I have the same one. And I stopped using it, because my pigs would pop it off the grid and spread the hay EVERYWHERE. And they would drag the thing all over the place to boot. :( different pigs have different behaviors.

CavyLover546

Cavy Gazer
Yes, I have the same problems. I hope there's a way to resolve it.

PiggyGrandma15

Cavy Slave
I tied it to the grid with a strip of fleece, but then it was a pain to fill. It had to be tight or it didn't help. :/ so far the boxes have me THRILLED.

PeanutnCookie

Cavy Slave
Make sure you have a couple more boxes on hand... I used a box for hay and in no time my pigs chewed and peed up the box, and there was no saving it. Once they figure out that they can CHEW the box it will be gone fast. lol

PiggyGrandma15

Cavy Slave
I have a large stash pile. And worst case I go back to the mess. :/

CavyLover546

Cavy Gazer
Also I have a question also: how do I post forums myself? I have been scanning the site for a way to do it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.