Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Conditions Sudden paralysis of hind legs in a young female? (Cappucicno's med thread)

TheGuineaPigGal

Cavy Slave
I haven't had the time to post, but about a month after we adopted Tootsie and Toffee, Toffee gave birth to 3 pups. They were all healthy. We assumed she had gotten pregnant in her previous arrangement, as the babies looked nothing like any of ours. So now we are here. Cappuccino started dragging her hind legs yesterday. She is still eating and drinking, and there were no significant changes in her weight. She doesn't seem to be in any pain, but we put her in a smaller cage by herself, we made sure she had everything in reach without having to move herself, and placed the cage inside the larger one where she lives so she wouldn't get lonely. None of the other guinea pigs are acting like this, and I'm just curious what I should do, because from the looks of it, my dad isn't going to take her to the vet. She wasn't dropped or anything, and I don't see any scabs from where she could have been bitten.

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
Well, it's not really something you could treat at home. Are you a minor? Would your dad feel differently if it was a dog dragging its back legs? Could be anything from spinal or neuro issues, something genetic, etc. I would try to convince your family to get her seen.

TheGuineaPigGal

Cavy Slave
It might be genetic, because we don't know where her mother OR father came from. I don't think its neurological because she is behaving in her normal way shes still skittish, but she can't scamper away because she can't move her legs, its just weird that it just developed.

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
Have you thought about what you will do in the long run or how this will affect her quality of life? Try to convince your dad or whoever that she needs some help. I think I also misread the post - it's a baby having this issue?

TheGuineaPigGal

Cavy Slave
No, shes not a baby, but she isn't fully grown.

TheGuineaPigGal

Cavy Slave
She walked fine up until recently,

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It may well be a vitamin C deficiency. That's the most common cause of hind leg weakness/paralysis.

What exactly do you feed her?

What kind of hay, and how much?

What brand of pellets, and how many?

What veggies, and how many of each?

Do you give her any vitamin supplements?

Has her weight changed any recently?

TheGuineaPigGal

Cavy Slave
What kind of hay, and how much?
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/standlee-premium-western-forage-premium-timothy-grab-go-compressed-bale
We have a large hay rack, we refill it whenever its empty
What brand of pellets, and how many?
Kaytee forti diet. We have 3 food dishes in that cage, we fill them to the top in the morning.

What veggies, and how many of each?
Spinach, Romaine lettuce, carrots, cucumbers, red bell peppers.
We have 7 guinea pigs in the cage she lives in, so we provide a hefty amount of each, and she always eats, I watch my piggies eat.

Do you give her any vitamin supplements?
I do not

Has her weight changed any recently?
Not significantly.

TheGuineaPigGal

Cavy Slave
My dad decided to call our vet, he is out until the 24th, and we can't get her in for a week, we searched for other exotic vets in our area, but we couldn't find any.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Then I would give her 100 mg of vitamin C per day for 7-10 days. If you don't see improvement in that time, the problem isn't a lack of C.

You can use Vita Drops liquid vitamin C, or a plain vitamin C tablet. If you use the Vita Drops, don't put it in the water bottle -- syringe it to her. Same with the tablet -- crush it, dissolve it in a little water or diluted fruit juice, and syringe it to her.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
They only have 25 mg. of vitamin C per tablet. You'd have to give her four and make sure she ate all of them.

TheGuineaPigGal

Cavy Slave
They only have 25 mg. of vitamin C per tablet. You'd have to give her four and make sure she ate all of them.

4 a day or four at a time?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Doesn't matter, as long as she gets 100 mg. a day for several days. But either watch her or hold her while she eats them so you can make sure she's getting all of it every time.

TheGuineaPigGal

Cavy Slave
Doesn't matter, as long as she gets 100 mg. a day for several days. But either watch her or hold her while she eats them so you can make sure she's getting all of it every time.

Thanks,

I just really hope it isn't permanent, because I don't want her quality of life to be affected, so we would have to put her to sleep.

TheGuineaPigGal

Cavy Slave
I think she is making progress! I was cleaning the infirmary cage that I have her in, so I set her on a guinea pig bed we have outside of her cage. So I cleaned her cage and replaced the blanket inside and stuff, and she kind of hobbled away from me because she heard her sister wheek, and headed in that direction, today is the first day she did that, I really think the Vita drops are helping. She wasn't walking fully right, but she was moving at a pretty fast pace. I have never been so happy to have a guinea pig run away from me before! Thank you to @bpatters and @4boipigs for helping me with her. I think she will recover full use.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Don't continue the high doses of vitamin C longer than 7-10 days. After that, cut back to about 25 mg. per day plus some bell peppers.

TheGuineaPigGal

Cavy Slave
She will be very happy about the peppers. She loves those things.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.