Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bonding Should I get a 4th guinea pig?

Piggly12

Cavy Slave
I was thinking that, as I have a 2x8 cage, that I could maybe get a 4th guinea pig to be friends with my 3 pigs (sisters; get along reasonably well, though there are the usual rumblings and the odd low-level dispute over who gets the best house, but nothing major).

My Mum is worried that they wouldn’t get along with another pig, but I’m pretty sure that it is very rare that they do not get along when intros are done properly (neutral area, lots of hay/veg, possible buddy-baths if things don’t work out the first time).

Would it be a good idea? I had a quick look on Gumtree and found a gorgeous single sow. https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/sorrento/other-pets/guinea-pig/1094949679

Are there any other things I should consider/have missed out in this post?

Comely Guineas

Cavy Slave
I think you should definitely give it a go. From my knowledge guinea pigs seem to work things out and would try to get along as best as they can. So why not add a fourth member, you have the space. Also she looks very healthy and adorable :) Good luck

pinky

Cavy Slave
You could end up breaking apart your bonded trio and mixing up the hierarchy. Whenever you add one or take one away, they'll reestablish their rank and shake things up a bit. I sadly severed the strong bond of a mother and daughter pair when I introduced them to three others I had. Things went very smoothly for about a week and then the mother and another female got into a huge fight when the daughter established a bond with the other female. They were never close after that... I wouldn't do it, but that's just me. If your 3 weren't bonded, it might be different.

Piggly12

Cavy Slave
@pinky, how likely is it that they will not get along?

pinky

Cavy Slave
[MENTION=15081]pinky[/MENTION], how likely is it that they will not get along?

There is never any guarantee that they will get along. My feeling is that if you have a very bonded group, let it be and don't shake things up. If you have multiples that tolerate each other but aren't really bonded, there's no risk of destroying a strong relationship. I recently added a third to a pair I have. My pair always squabbled a bit and weren't really bonded. They seemed to just tolerate each other and did their own thing. I had noticed that the more submissive one was beginning to stand up to the more dominant one. When I introduced the third, the less dominant one seemed to use it as her opportunity to take the top spot. They nipped a bit and chased the new one around but after it all settled down. the dominant one isn't dominant anymore. I'd say the one that tried to be the boss took that spot now. Things usually get shifted around when you add another one.

Piggly12

Cavy Slave
... If you have multiples that tolerate each other but aren't really bonded, there's no risk of destroying a strong relationship. I recently added a third to a pair I have. My pair always squabbled a bit and weren't really bonded. They seemed to just tolerate each other and did their own thing. I had noticed that the more submissive one was beginning to stand up to the more dominant one. When I introduced the third, the less dominant one seemed to use it as her opportunity to take the top spot.

What would be considered a strong relationship/bond? Mine never really snuggle together or anything, they sort of do their own thing. They get along reasonably well, though this is probably because I have them in a massive cage where they can get far out of each others’ way and run away when chased.

I guess I feel as though since I have the space and ability to care for another pig, and there are so many pigs on Gumtree that need help, that I want to help at least one of them.
[MENTION=28640]CavieGuy[/MENTION], I know you have a lot of guinea pigs. How did you get them all to get along so well? Also, what size is your cage? (I know it’s massive, but how big? :))

Thanks for your help [MENTION=15081]pinky[/MENTION] and [MENTION=36597]Comely Guineas[/MENTION]! :)

pinky

Cavy Slave
What would be considered a strong relationship/bond? Mine never really snuggle together or anything, they sort of do their own thing. They get along reasonably well, though this is probably because I have them in a massive cage where they can get far out of each others’ way and run away when chased.

I guess I feel as though since I have the space and ability to care for another pig, and there are so many pigs on Gumtree that need help, that I want to help at least one of them.
[MENTION=28640]CavieGuy[/MENTION], I know you have a lot of guinea pigs. How did you get them all to get along so well? Also, what size is your cage? (I know it’s massive, but how big? :))

Thanks for your help [MENTION=15081]pinky[/MENTION] and [MENTION=36597]Comely Guineas[/MENTION]! :)

It sounds like you've already made up your mind. There's a lot of info on here about how to do proper introductions and quarantines so I'd read up on that. You won't know if they get along until you introduce them but the large cage is a plus. I'd recommend either getting one that's just being separated from its mother or a female that has been housed successfully with other females.

poop_patrol

Cavy Slave
It SHOULD all go well if you follow proper introductions. One thing to keep in mind is that if it does not go well, you split them into pairs in separate cages if they can't live together.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

CavieGuy

Cavy Slave
@<b><a href="https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/member.php?u=28640" target="_blank">CavieGuy</a></b>, I know you have a lot of guinea pigs. How did you get them all to get along so well? Also, what size is your cage? (I know it’s massive, but how big? :))

Proper Introductions. Make sure the introduction area is neutral and spacious.

Here is a video of my recent introduction:

[video=youtube_share;23kMAspXpqU]https://youtu.be/23kMAspXpqU[/video]

I currently have 4 midwest cages connected together until my house goes in escrow. I needed a temporary cage that I can take down during private showings and open houses. I will find out at 5pm if I go in escrow in which I will set up their permanent cage for a couple weeks until the move which is a 2x10

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.