Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Infection Upper Respiratory Infection...ugh

2198lindsey

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Last night Princess started coughing and wheezing really badly. She's super lethargic and wasn't eating. I isolated her from Babe in a box and this morning when I woke up it was much colder than when I went to sleep so I picked up the box that she's in and set it on my computer chair. When I turned around she jumped out of the box and off the chair onto the floor. She busted up her poor little lip and chipped her tooth a little.

She's eating more now, I forced some water down her with a syringe and have my vet appointment for 3 this afternoon.

This month marks a year since I tragically lost my Danu (not to the same thing) so I'm just not very happy.

Send some good vibes and luck this way. *sighs*

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Don't separate them. They've all been exposed, and the stress of being alone can make the sick one even sicker. If she's coughing and wheezing, she needs a vet. Now.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
I agree. Don't separate them.

When a pig is recovering from a URI cold temperatures can be deadly. It will be important to keep her warm.

Do you weigh your guinea pigs? Had she lost any weight? Pigs hide their symptoms when ill, but a sick pig doesn't feel like eating as much as normal.

2198lindsey

Cavy Slave
Just got home from the vet. When the vet first came in she listened to her breathing and said that something wasn't adding up so she wanted to take an X ray. She was afraid she had a papillary mass, or a mass in her chest.

She had me come look at the X ray. No fluid in her lungs, her lungs looked fine but her stomach was filled with gas. She said that because she quit eating the bacteria over grew and caused bloat. They gave her fluids so I don't have to worry right now about her dehydrating, they gave her a dose of pain meds at the office, and sent me home with critical care, antibiotics, and pain meds. She said if she does have pneumonia, or and upper respiratory infection, the baytril will fix that too.

After her antibiotics I have a follow up check up to look at her teeth because she wants to find out why she stopped eating. She advised me to keep them separated.

2198lindsey

Cavy Slave
@bpatters [MENTION=13918]foggycreekcavy[/MENTION] Okay gave her her antibiotics at about 5:30, and now her appetite is completely gone. She was eating some hay before she got her antibiotics but now she's not eating anything. Even refused veggies when offered. I just force fed her 2 syringes of critical care, how often do I need to be force feeding her and how much?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
If she's eating nothing else, she needs 50-60 cc. of Critical Cage per kilogram of weight per day, spread out into 5-6 servings over a 24 hour period.

2198lindsey

Cavy Slave
If she's eating nothing else, she needs 50-60 cc. of Critical Cage per kilogram of weight per day, spread out into 5-6 servings over a 24 hour period.
So does that mean 5-6 whole syringes per kg? So tonight should I be waking up every hour or so to feed her?

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
She needs 50 or 60 of your syringes per 2.2 pounds. How much does she weigh?

I am usually able to get about 10 syringes (mine are 1 cc) per feeding. So if you feed her 6 times a day, and get at least 10 syringes full each feeding, you should be good.

Yes, I would wake up tonight, but not every hour. I bet she hasn't been eating that much the past few days, so you'll need to "jump start" her eating.

Also, she could be having some issues with the Baytril. Some pigs are intolerant to it, but she really needs an antibiotic at this point. I'd keep giving her the meds, and hand feeding, making sure she's getting a probiotic.

2198lindsey

Cavy Slave
She needs 50 or 60 of your syringes per 2.2 pounds. How much does she weigh?

I am usually able to get about 10 syringes (mine are 1 cc) per feeding. So if you feed her 6 times a day, and get at least 10 syringes full each feeding, you should be good.

Yes, I would wake up tonight, but not every hour. I bet she hasn't been eating that much the past few days, so you'll need to "jump start" her eating.

Also, she could be having some issues with the Baytril. Some pigs are intolerant to it, but she really needs an antibiotic at this point. I'd keep giving her the meds, and hand feeding, making sure she's getting a probiotic.

Okay, thank you. I just found a 3 ml syringe, and I just got 2 of those down her at 8:40. How often would you recommend feeding if not every hour? Every 2 hours? And since the syringe I just found is 3 ml how many per feeding and how many a day? Tomorrow I will get a 10 cc. Thank you so much. I think she might be having issues with the baytril too because she was eating until she got it.

Also I will be getting the probiotic tomorrow, any recommendations?

2198lindsey

Cavy Slave
Just as I post that she starts eating hay lol I feel a little bit relieved

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
I only use 1 cc syringes. I don't like using anything larger. A 1 cc syringe fits easily back to the molars, which is where you want to be putting it. Are you cutting off the tip of the syringe?

You can use Benebac, or a human acidophilus capsule. Mix it in the critical care, or mix it with water and syringe it.

How much does she seem able to eat at each sitting? If she only comfortably takes 5 cc, then you'll need to divide 60 by 5, which is twelve times. Space 12 feedings throughout the day.

That's why I try to get 10 cc each feeding, so I only have to hand feed 5 or 6 times. It often depends on what you can do as well. Do you have a job? School?

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
Also, it's best to keep track of how much she weighs and how much you are getting into her. When I have a very sick pig, I weigh before feeding, write down how many cc's she ate, and then weigh after feeding. I do this until the pig starts eating normally and gaining back their weight.

2198lindsey

Cavy Slave
I only use 1 cc syringes. I don't like using anything larger. A 1 cc syringe fits easily back to the molars, which is where you want to be putting it. Are you cutting off the tip of the syringe?

You can use Benebac, or a human acidophilus capsule. Mix it in the critical care, or mix it with water and syringe it.

How much does she seem able to eat at each sitting? If she only comfortably takes 5 cc, then you'll need to divide 60 by 5, which is twelve times. Space 12 feedings throughout the day.

That's why I try to get 10 cc each feeding, so I only have to hand feed 5 or 6 times. It often depends on what you can do as well. Do you have a job? School?
I have both but this entire 3 day weekend I'm off. She has started eating some hay and seems to actually be hungry now

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
That's good. I would still hand feed, however.

I also like to crush 50 mg of vitamin C and add to the Critical Care mix. I buy children's 100 mg vitamin C and cut a tablet in half.

2198lindsey

Cavy Slave
All is good! Accepting Baytril, eating hay regularly and now wheeking for the first time in 3 days. I'm a happy momma :)

2198lindsey

Cavy Slave
I'm bumping this and I have another question. She's eating and drinking fine now. But her breathing is still off. She's been on Baytril 2 times a day since Friday. Should she not be breathing better by now?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Baytril may not be effective against the organism that's causing her breathing difficulties. Doxycycline is another antibiotic that's sometimes used for URIs, both alone and in combination with Baytril.

2198lindsey

Cavy Slave
Baytril may not be effective against the organism that's causing her breathing difficulties. Doxycycline is another antibiotic that's sometimes used for URIs, both alone and in combination with Baytril.
Ughhhh I wish that the vet would have prescribed me something different then. Does that mean that I should make another appointment?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.