Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pellets Which of this is better?

Velkyre

Cavy Slave
I have been feeding my piggie the pellets "ZuPreem Nature's Promise; Timothy Naturals" which I found was good, but when I bought the C&C materials, the shop sent me a small package of "Supreme Petfoods; Selective" as a gift...

My piggie tried it out and he LOVES it way more than his usual one. But I don't want to feed him that one if it's worse than the first one I fed him with.
Which one do you think is better?

Thank you.

Beatrix187

Cavy Slave
Actually, I hate to say this, but none of those are good pellets. Now, I know that the ZuPreem one has timothy hay as the first ingredient, but if you look at the garunteed analysis, it will not show the calcium amount. So, you don't know how much calcium it has. If you maybe can ask the company, and it is under 0.6 %, then it should begood. But I don't think they will tell you. Because it probably has to much calcium. Now, the Supreme Pet Foods Guinea Pig Science Selective pellets contain alfalfa, which should not be fed to guinea pigs under six months. Also the calcium is way to high 0.8 in my opinion, is high. So I would recommend you get KMS hayloft pellets. They are much lower in calcium and are healthier for you piggie. If you live in Canada Living World Green is also a good option But not just Living World, it has to be Living World Green.

Kms hayloft (broken link removed)

Living World Green (broken link removed)

Also Oxbow Cavy Cuisine is good, but it does have a lot of calcium, but if thats all you can find then thats better than the other two. (broken link removed)

And also Small Pet Select is really good, like KMS (broken link removed)

Hope I helped!

Beatrix187

Cavy Slave
But for now, feed the Zupreem one,because it may have less calcium than the other one. But switch him to a good pellet as soon as possible.

Velkyre

Cavy Slave
Really? ...

Only one available in my country of those 4 is Oxbow :/ I will go for the Oxbow one next time I buy food for him. Thank you!

If I remember correctly, you are in Spain?

JR Farm grainless complete is a good option in Europe. (Zooplus has them)
As are the Living World Green ones mentioned above, though they are difficult to come by.

not a pellet, but sticks
https://www.vetuk.co.uk/guinea-pig-...6/vetcare-plus-multi-modal-formula-1kg-p-9415
I was feeding him JR Farm, but read some places where it said Zupreem was better so I changed it ...

SardonicSmile

Cavy Slave
From a quick read of ingredients, I would say the JR Farm grainless is a better choice than Zupreem.

pinky

Cavy Slave
Actually, I hate to say this, but none of those are good pellets. Now, I know that the ZuPreem one has timothy hay as the first ingredient, but if you look at the garunteed analysis, it will not show the calcium amount. So, you don't know how much calcium it has. If you maybe can ask the company, and it is under 0.6 %, then it should begood. But I don't think they will tell you. Because it probably has to much calcium. Now, the Supreme Pet Foods Guinea Pig Science Selective pellets contain alfalfa, which should not be fed to guinea pigs under six months. Also the calcium is way to high 0.8 in my opinion, is high. So I would recommend you get KMS hayloft pellets. They are much lower in calcium and are healthier for you piggie. If you live in Canada Living World Green is also a good option But not just Living World, it has to be Living World Green.

Kms hayloft (broken link removed)

Living World Green (broken link removed)

Also Oxbow Cavy Cuisine is good, but it does have a lot of calcium, but if thats all you can find then thats better than the other two. (broken link removed)

And also Small Pet Select is really good, like KMS (broken link removed)

Hope I helped!
Guinea pigs under 6 months need more calcium to build strong bones. Guinea pigs over 6 months should not have the additional calcium due to the risk of stone formation.

Velkyre

Cavy Slave
I ended up buying Oxbow's food :) It's 5€ more expensive, but I think it's totally worth it ...

Thank you for the comments!

Chayna Renee

Cavy Slave
I do not feed my pigs any pellets anymore. My vet had recommended going pellet free and veggies three times and day and my pigs are perfectly fine. I think everyone should do what I did. I just do not think those pellets are good for any pig except pigs that are growing but that is it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.