Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Introductions Say hello to brownie (:

mochapokax3

Cavy Slave
Hey guys, I havnt been on here for awhile but today i just got a new male guinea pig and his name is brownie. Through I experience some shock today like first time seeing the dominance act, rumblestrutting, and boar glue... but everything turned out while since their both getting along pretty well now. Heres some pics :)

Attachments

20130315_224059.jpg 20130315_195245.jpg 20130315_224036.jpg 20130315_235756.jpg

NJPKL

Cavy Slave
Welcome home Brownie! How adorable they both are!

mochapokax3

Cavy Slave
Brownie and mocha says thank you NJPK :)

Hhbean

Cavy Slave
He is adorable and so is Mocha!

AussiePiggies

Cavy Slave
Too cute! He is such a little thing! They make a lovely looking pair :)

mochapokax3

Cavy Slave
Thanks hhbean and aussiepiggies!

CavySavvyGirl

Cavy Slave
They're adorable! But please, do change the type of pellet food you're feeding them. Seeds, nuts, and those sugary hard thingies are very bad for them. The two best kinds of pellets are Oxbow Cavy Cuisine or Kleenmama's timothy pellets.

SophieBunny

Cavy Slave
Hello Brownie! Him and Mocha are so cute! lol But yes, the seed mix food you're feeding them is not good for them at all.

Aleks

Cavy Slave
They are soo cute! :)
As others have said, you should switch pellets. Colored bits, seeds and nuts are a big no-no. :p
I'm fairly certain that if they're under a year old they should have plain alfalfa pellets but it is okay to give them plain timothy pellets if they're 6 months or older. Oxbow is a highly recommended brand.
Also it looks like their pellet dish is pretty full. Only piggies under 6 months should have unlimited pellets, other than that they should get 1/8-1/4 cup per pig per day.
:)

mochapokax3

Cavy Slave
They're adorable! But please, do change the type of pellet food you're feeding them. Seeds, nuts, and those sugary hard thingies are very bad for them. The two best kinds of pellets are Oxbow Cavy Cuisine or Kleenmama's timothy pellets.
Kaay thanks well can u purchase that at petco?

mochapokax3

Cavy Slave
They are soo cute! :)
As others have said, you should switch pellets. Colored bits, seeds and nuts are a big no-no. :p
I'm fairly certain that if they're under a year old they should have plain alfalfa pellets but it is okay to give them plain timothy pellets if they're 6 months or older. Oxbow is a highly recommended brand.
Also it looks like their pellet dish is pretty full. Only piggies under 6 months should have unlimited pellets, other than that they should get 1/8-1/4 cup per pig per day.
:)

Wow the petco lady did not tell me this at all :( yes they are under a year old. Now that I think about it im kinda mad cause I did remember asking them how much should I feed them and she said just fill it to the top -_- but thanks for you advice

SophieBunny

Cavy Slave
Wow the petco lady did not tell me this at all :( yes they are under a year old. Now that I think about it im kinda mad cause I did remember asking them how much should I feed them and she said just fill it to the top -_- but thanks for you advice

Pet stores are notorious for giving bad advice, incorrect information and having badly trained staff. If you have a question, or are unsure about anything, it's much safer to ask it on here! lol

Aleks

Cavy Slave

Most of the time pet store employees know nothing about proper guinea pig care, so I wouldn't automatically trust everything they tell you.
Just to correct a few guinea pig misconceptions that the employee might have told you; They shouldn't have wheels, balls, or harnesses as they can all damage their spines. Salt licks aren't good and neither are the Yohgurt treats or any treats with seeds and such.

Kaay thanks well can u purchase that at petco?
I'm not sure about PetCo but I know that you can get it at Petsmart or order it online.

mochapokax3

Cavy Slave
thanks guys for your advices~
I do learn a lot more on this site then the misguiding petco lady!
[MENTION=25470]Aleks[/MENTION] wow they sell guinea pig wheels and harnesses even when they know its not good for them thats pretty shady :/

Skippie

Cavy Slave
Congrats on the new piggie! Both are adorable! I love how you hooked up the kabob on the side like that and filled it with veggies. FYI...you can order Oxbox pellets at the Drs. Foster and Smith website. They have very affordable shipping and you can save by ordering more than one bag at a time! Or you can order from KMS..they have nice hay. The pet stores are notorious for telling peopl to get guinea pigs those giant rolling hamster balls too..big no no! Glad to see you have a nice cage set up and are taking care of the little pigs! Keep sharing pics..love to see them!

mochapokax3

Cavy Slave
Congrats on the new piggie! Both are adorable! I love how you hooked up the kabob on the side like that and filled it with veggies. FYI...you can order Oxbox pellets at the Drs. Foster and Smith website. They have very affordable shipping and you can save by ordering more than one bag at a time! Or you can order from KMS..they have nice hay. The pet stores are notorious for telling peopl to get guinea pigs those giant rolling hamster balls too..big no no! Glad to see you have a nice cage set up and are taking care of the little pigs! Keep sharing pics..love to see them!

Thanks skippie, your sites are really helpful :)

Razzle

Cavy Slave
They are adorable. If you have a piggie or bunnie rescue over your way, they may sell Oxbow and quality hay. "That" place sells Oxbow too.

mochapokax3

Cavy Slave
They are adorable. If you have a piggie or bunnie rescue over your way, they may sell Oxbow and quality hay. "That" place sells Oxbow too.

thanks razzle :) I actually never seen a piggie or bunnie rescue around our area before or even near my area but i'll cheek it out

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.