Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Nutrition our dry food contains stony corn grains

lolla

Cavy Slave
hi,

i've just bought a dry food but actually i wasn't convinced by the quality.
bec. it includes stony corn grains, stony green + red lentils and other too hard grains. So iM not sure it's healthy Muffin's teeth :/

i can't find any healty pellets from turkey (iM still in turkey now). What should i do? Any suggestions?

DSCN3794.jpg

DSCN3795.jpg

DSCN3792.jpg

PiggieWigglies

Cavy Slave
Don't feed him that. Guinea pigs need a plain, timothy based pellet. They can't eat seeds or hard colored bits because they don't need it in their diet and its not good for them. Just make sure he has 1 cup of fresh veggies daily (lettuces, bell peppers, carrots..) and long strand grass hay and look around for a good pellet. It sorta looks like hamster food.

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
If you can't find a plain timothy pellet and that type of food is your only option for pellets, you should not feed any pellets. You will need to feed extra vegetables to make up for the nutrients your pig would usually get from pellets.

lolla

Cavy Slave
Don't feed him that. Guinea pigs need a plain, timothy based pellet. They can't eat seeds or hard colored bits because they don't need it in their diet and its not good for them. Just make sure he has 1 cup of fresh veggies daily (lettuces, bell peppers, carrots..) and long strand grass hay and look around for a good pellet. It sorta looks like hamster food.

exactly! thanks
because u should see, these corn grains are like a stone!
i tried to crack with my teeths and comletely failure!

ok really thanks for your answer.

lolla

Cavy Slave
If you can't find a plain timothy pellet and that type of food is your only option for pellets, you should not feed any pellets. You will need to feed extra vegetables to make up for the nutrients your pig would usually get from pellets.

yep, thank you

i guess i can find timothy hay. Or as last option i'll buy on amazon or eBay

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
The others gave you good advice. That food is completely wrong for guinea pigs. It would be better to give no pellets at all than to give that.

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Slave
yep, thank you

i guess i can find timothy hay. Or as last option i'll buy on amazon or eBay

Guinea pigs must have a long strand grass hay, but it doesn't have to be timothy. You can also use meadow hay, orchard grass, bluegrass, and a few others I can't think of off the top of my head. Pellets aren't optional exactly, but in a situation where it's bad pellets or no pellets, always go with no pellets. Make sure your pigs at least get lettuce and bell pepper every day. Iceberg lettuce is a complete no. If you look at our nutritional chart, https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...vy-Nutrition-Charts-amp-Poisonous-Plants-List, and then google the vegetables name in your country, you should be able to find a decent menu plan.

lolla

Cavy Slave
Guinea pigs must have a long strand grass hay, but it doesn't have to be timothy. You can also use meadow hay, orchard grass, bluegrass, and a few others I can't think of off the top of my head. Pellets aren't optional exactly, but in a situation where it's bad pellets or no pellets, always go with no pellets. Make sure your pigs at least get lettuce and bell pepper every day. Iceberg lettuce is a complete no. If you look at our nutritional chart, https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...vy-Nutrition-Charts-amp-Poisonous-Plants-List, and then google the vegetables name in your country, you should be able to find a decent menu plan.

thank you so much,

yes, i'll give my girl hay, vegetables, fruit till i find appr. gP dry foods.

and yes, i read and saved the chart. Really it's so helpful.

lolla

Cavy Slave
hi again,

Is that the timothy grass? (phleum pratense)

phleum pretense.jpg

timothy grass.jpg shutterStock

it doesnT anywhere in turkey as timothy grass. So i'll order from ebay or amazon :/

Bodhi

Cavy Slave
Don't get stuck on timothy.
What types of hay can you get at the pet store(small animals) or feed store (livestock)?

lolla

Cavy Slave
Don't get stuck on timothy.
What types of hay can you get at the pet store(small animals) or feed store (livestock)?

thankk you. Actually we've timothy HAY but we cannot find pellet :/

our hay's

DSCN3802.jpg

DSCN3811.jpg

DSCN3808.jpg

there are no pellet in turkey! :(
actually there are lots of GP dry food but look above the pictures, hardly corn grains, mix color lentils, etc :/

there are only 'alfaalfa' pellet on sale. But iM not sure :/
just dry alfaalfa pellet (doesnT contain timothy, bluegrass, etc) can be ok as dryFood?

DSCN3816.jpg

Last edited:

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
If your pig is over six months old, don't feed the alfalfa pellets -- too much calcium, and you'll run the risk of urinary tract stones. Pellets are the least important part of a pig's diet, and they can do without them if they have to. You do need to give them a plain vitamin C supplement, or feed them fairly large chunks of bell pepper, which you may know as capsicum.

The hay doesn't have to be timothy -- it can be any long strand grass hay. Timothy is one, but there's meadow grass, orchard grass, blue grass and brome. I'd be willing to bet that none of us could identify hay growing in the field, so your best bet would be to find someone in an agriculture department there and ask what long strand grass hays you have available. Ordering from Amazon or Ebay will likely cost you an arm and a leg.

lolla

Cavy Slave
If your pig is over six months old, don't feed the alfalfa pellets -- too much calcium, and you'll run the risk of urinary tract stones. Pellets are the least important part of a pig's diet, and they can do without them if they have to. You do need to give them a plain vitamin C supplement, or feed them fairly large chunks of bell pepper, which you may know as capsicum.

The hay doesn't have to be timothy -- it can be any long strand grass hay. Timothy is one, but there's meadow grass, orchard grass, blue grass and brome. I'd be willing to bet that none of us could identify hay growing in the field, so your best bet would be to find someone in an agriculture department there and ask what long strand grass hays you have available. Ordering from Amazon or Ebay will likely cost you an arm and a leg.

thanks for your helpful explanation.
Actually i donT want give extra supplements :/ but as u say more with fresh vegetables, some fruits and hays.

there's a horse stud farm near me. I'm thinking of talking about kinds of hay.
Last option ebay or amazon :/

thank you too much really .)

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Vitamin C is really the only supplement you usually have to be concerned about. GPs are like people -- they can't manufacture their own vitamin C, so they have to eat it in some form. If you can consistently get good fresh vitamin c-rich vegetables, that will usually be enough. But if your pigs are ill or stressed in any way, they may need an additional supplement.

You don't want a multi-vitamin, just plain ascorbic acid if you can get it. You can freeze some to have on hand in case you ever need it.

lolla

Cavy Slave
Vitamin C is really the only supplement you usually have to be concerned about. GPs are like people -- they can't manufacture their own vitamin C, so they have to eat it in some form. If you can consistently get good fresh vitamin c-rich vegetables, that will usually be enough. But if your pigs are ill or stressed in any way, they may need an additional supplement.

You don't want a multi-vitamin, just plain ascorbic acid if you can get it. You can freeze some to have on hand in case you ever need it.

hey what a coincidence, iVe already ascorbic acid for my hair :))
yayy! :)
got it, just plain vit. C as a precaution
thatS ok .)
thankk you

Artista

Cavy Slave
You can always order hay online from places many of us do here. KMS and Small Pet Select are 2 places that offer great hay. Some pet stores carry Oxbow hay which I've heard is nice too. Personally, I get my pellets from KMS and hays from SPS and KMS.

Artista

Cavy Slave
Oh, I failed to see she's in Turkey. Yeah, they don't ship there. Oxbow may though so if all else fails locally, I'd check out the Oxbow website as I believe they do ship hay internationally.

Bodhi

Cavy Slave
As a side note, if that is one package of hay that you posted, it is confusing that it says Meadow Hay on the front and Timothy Hay on the back. Also, I don't know your country, but that quality only looks okay. I would hope you could find one that is less broken down.

lolla

Cavy Slave
As a side note, if that is one package of hay that you posted, it is confusing that it says Meadow Hay on the front and Timothy Hay on the back. Also, I don't know your country, but that quality only looks okay. I would hope you could find one that is less broken down.

thank your for your kind .)
yep, iM in turkey now and there are many of pellets and hay but you see these pellets (especially pellets) involves hardly corn grains and too much unknown things!
thats turkey! :( anyway.

yes i found timothy hay luckily but a good news for us: KMShayloft will send me the 20 lbs pellet :)))
approx. in 2 weeks :)

thank you againnn and again everyone .)

lolla

Cavy Slave
Oh, I failed to see she's in Turkey. Yeah, they don't ship there. Oxbow may though so if all else fails locally, I'd check out the Oxbow website as I believe they do ship hay internationally.

thank you really for your kind .)
really .)

now we have timoth hay, but kmsHayloft will send us pellets!! :)))

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.