Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hay Small Pet Select

scoottie

Cavy Slave
Has anyone ever used it because the hay I have is kind of dusty (Oxbow Timothy Hay) its making me sneeze and also Sawyer it doesn't have to been Small Pet Select just a less dusty hay.

Last edited:

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Any brand of hay can be dusty. There's absolutely no guarantee that anyone else's hay will be less dusty. And even if you found someone who has a box of hay from another supplier that's not dusty, it's not a given that you won't get a dusty box from the same supplier.

Dust in hay depends a lot on the conditions when the hay is harvested, and on how long it's been on the shelf. Small bags of hay in pet stores are likely to be drier, and therefore more dusty, than boxes or bales bought online or from a local farmer. But if it's a been a dry year where the online or local hay is harvested, it may be dusty also.

scoottie

Cavy Slave
Thanks. So the best hay when it isn't a dry year can be found online.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Not necessarily. It could be found at a local farmer. It's just that pet store hay is many times more expensive, per pound, than either online or local hay, and is more likely to have been sitting on the shelf drying out.

scoottie

Cavy Slave
I have considered getting it online since I don't really live anywhere near a local farmer if so what would be the softest and less dusty I understand not totally dusty hay that wont bug me or my piggies that I could get online.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
The point is that nobody can tell you whether any box of hay that you order from any supplier will be dusty or not. You just have to take your chances.

scoottie

Cavy Slave
Okay take my chances

CavyChrissy

Cavy Slave
I ordered Orchard from SPS back in November. It was nearly all wide green pieces, not dusty, very little brown. I agree, you're not guaranteed to get exactly the same stuff. But just wanted to share my experience. Unfortunately it did NOT work for me because it was so green - I'm allergic to the mold in moisture hay!

scoottie

Cavy Slave
@CavyChrissy thank you for your comment of the experience you have had.

LoveMyPigs25

Cavy Slave
I'm on auto delivery every 4 weeks smith SPS for Orchard grass. Every box I've received to nice long green strands.
i love that it shows up at my door always great quality and I don't have to worry about getting my hay before I run out.

pinky

Cavy Slave
I ordered Orchard from SPS back in November. It was nearly all wide green pieces, not dusty, very little brown. I agree, you're not guaranteed to get exactly the same stuff. But just wanted to share my experience. Unfortunately it did NOT work for me because it was so green - I'm allergic to the mold in moisture hay!

I doubt that the green had anything to do with your allergy. Boxed hay shouldn't have mold in it unless you keep it wrapped in plastic or don't allow enough ventilation after you open the box and store it. Normally, seed heads cause issues and the type of hay might make a difference. Mold is my biggest allergy trigger but I'm fine with orchard grass. Timothy hay bothers me the most.

scoottie

Cavy Slave
I'm on auto delivery every 4 weeks smith SPS for Orchard grass. Every box I've received to nice long green strands.
i love that it shows up at my door always great quality and I don't have to worry about getting my hay before I run out.

Thank You for telling me about your experience

CavyChrissy

Cavy Slave
I doubt that the green had anything to do with your allergy. Boxed hay shouldn't have mold in it unless you keep it wrapped in plastic or don't allow enough ventilation after you open the box and store it. Normally, seed heads cause issues and the type of hay might make a difference. Mold is my biggest allergy trigger but I'm fine with orchard grass. Timothy hay bothers me the most.

I guess it's hard to say what triggered my reaction without getting a science crew in here, but that's my best guess. All I know is my eyes got very swollen just being in the same room with that hay. I did some research on mold in hay. Mold can grow in bales of hay too, if the hay is harvested when it's moisture level is too high. So even if I stored it properly (which I did keep it in open cardboard boxes with holes poked around), it may have had mold before I got it.

I actually just bought a bale of mixed Orchard, Timothy, and some miscellaneous from a local farmer and am thankfully having no allergic reactions! The bale does have a fair amount of brown pieces. However my pigs eat all of it, so it must not bother them. And it means that I can actually enjoy my pigs again!

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
I wish I could get my pigs to eat the brown bits. My last box from KMS had a good bit but their hay is normally great so its fine. This time I got 3rd cut from SPS and it has some too, I am guessing any boxes 40lbs or more will have it in it. And if you do buy it that large, turn the box upside down, open, pull the bag out, reseal the box and flip if the if the upsidedown lettering bothers you, poke holes all over the box. I may have to order some orchard grass and start mixing it to see if they will eat it until its all orchard grass.

scoottie

Cavy Slave
I heard that orchard grass may help with allergy prone people

PiggyGrandma15

Cavy Slave
Can I chime in with agreement on the orchard grass being so very much better on the allergies!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.