Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Vetbed VetBed Help - Bedding Suggestions

ReiSixx9

Cavy Gazer
Okay, so I've decided VetBed might be the best option got my piggies (I haven't for my piggies yet, just trying to prepare.), but I'm a bit confused about the different backings. I see there's green, rubber, and no backing. What's the difference between the types?

Also, I chose VetBed because they seemed like reusable dog training mats, but the more I read the more I realize I might be wrong. Does the liquid pass through the VetBed? Does that mean I'd have to put dog mats underneath anyways? Is there a better option for me in your opinion? I just want a cheap bedding that's easy to obtain in Australia.

Last edited:

CavyTV

Cavy Slave
According to skinnypigs1's videos, vetbed needs to be used with an absorbent layer. Vetbed is really only used for it's softness. It's ideal for pigs with arthritis. I would suggest using fleece if you can get a hold of it. You can use towels, u-haul pads, or wood pellets (best at odor control but not soft for the pigs) as the absorbent layer.

ReiSixx9

Cavy Gazer
According to skinnypigs1's videos, vetbed needs to be used with an absorbent layer. Vetbed is really only used for it's softness. It's ideal for pigs with arthritis. I would suggest using fleece if you can get a hold of it. You can use towels, u-haul pads, or wood pellets (best at odor control but not soft for the pigs) as the absorbent layer.

Thanks a ton! Also, I've read that quite a few people use towels Underneath fleece, but wouldn't they smell really quick?

elewis618

Cavy Slave
Thanks a ton! Also, I've read that quite a few people use towels Underneath fleece, but wouldn't they smell really quick?

I made my fleece pads with towels in the middle sewed in. I rinse in vinegar and water first, then wash in warm water with scent and dye free detergent. I spot clean daily and wash the fleece/towel pads once a week. My mom came to my house last week and they were due for a cleaning and she still couldn't smell anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ReiSixx9

Cavy Gazer
I made my fleece pads with towels in the middle sewed in. I rinse in vinegar and water first, then wash in warm water with scent and dye free detergent. I spot clean daily and wash the fleece/towel pads once a week. My mom came to my house last week and they were due for a cleaning and she still couldn't smell anything.

Guess I'll have to find where to get cheap fleece in Australia. It's surprisingly difficult.

CavyTV

Cavy Slave
Yes and no. It depends how many layers of towels you use and how often you clean them. More layers are better. You will need at least 2. Replace them at least once a week, although you may need to do twice a week. Towels and newspapers are the worst at odor control, u-haul pads are okay, and wood pellets are the best with the odor. If vetbed is cheaper for you, then you don't need to get fleece. They pretty much play the same role, only vetbed is softer and thicker. I actually wanted to switch to vetbed, but after seeing how pricey they are for such a small piece I didn't want to do it. I don't know about where you live, but here in the U.S. you can get yards of fleece for a good price depending where you buy it.

ReiSixx9

Cavy Gazer
Hmm I can't seem to find u-haul pads in Australia and I would have to find pellets (I can't find these either unless they're really expensive), not to mention they're not reusable so they're probably not as cost effective.

I thought about using washable puppy pads or incontinence pads, but I can't find any big enough for my desired cage size (140x70cm cage size, 160x90cm bedding minimum).

Last edited:

ReiSixx9

Cavy Gazer

How many towels are sewed into one fleece/towel pad?

elewis618

Cavy Slave
How many towels are sewed into one fleece/towel pad?

I only sewed one towel between 2 layers of fleece and it works well for us.

ReiSixx9

Cavy Gazer
I only sewed one towel between 2 layers of fleece and it works well for us.

Hmm I guess I'll have to experiment for myself. Thanks. :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.