Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Question...

Shannon563

Cavy Slave
So I wondering what a probiotic for Guinea Pigs really for? Just curious.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It replaces the good bacteria in the digestive tract that have been killed by an antibiotic.

Shannon563

Cavy Slave
So I was going to go get a new Guinea Saturday, but the breeder I get them from don't have any boys right now.. 😳

Shannon563

Cavy Slave
I have a question...
I was wanting to know if store bought guinea pig toys was safe for them, since some is glued together, or am I better off making them myself?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
We never recommend that you buy from a breeder. Pregnancy is very hard on guinea pig sows and pups, and the death rate is high. There are enough accidental pregnancies to keep guinea pigs going forever without another sow having to be deliberately bred. Check around you for rescues and shelters -- you'l be giving a homeless pig a good home, and opening up a slot so that another pig can be rescued.

I think you'll find that guinea pigs don't play with toys very much. I wouldn't spend any good money on store-bought toys. I'm sure several people here can suggest other things for them to play with.

Shannon563

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the information, but that's why I get boy Guinea Pigs, so I don't get a Guinea that is already pregnant.

An what are the other several things that they can play with?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You can get male guinea pigs from shelters or rescues. When you buy a pig from a breeder, they just breed another litter to sell, putting the sow at risk.

Shannon563

Cavy Slave

GameOfCavies

Cavy Slave
I agree that you shouldn't get from a breeder, but also I found that my pigs do like a certain kind of toy. Olena can't get enough of willow balls. She likes to take them apart, bang them against the side of her cage, etc. And they're pretty cheap to get. can find them at pet stores or online. That's about the only thing mine will play with, and she goes through them pretty fast. So if you wan to try a toy, that's a good option!

SkyKimimota

Cavy Slave
My guinea pig's absolute favorite toy is one you don't even have to buy just for them... Toilet paper rolls xD Buy him some toys with bells in them, but all he likes is tossing around his toilet paper rolls... You can also cut them into strips and form a ball with them, you can put hay or treats in the center so they have to try getting them out. Mine also loves eating the hay before playing with the strips xD

koalamissy

Cavy Slave
My guinea pig's absolute favorite toy is one you don't even have to buy just for them... Toilet paper rolls xD Buy him some toys with bells in them, but all he likes is tossing around his toilet paper rolls... You can also cut them into strips and form a ball with them, you can put hay or treats in the center so they have to try getting them out. Mine also loves eating the hay before playing with the strips xD

They won't eat the cardboard? Is that harmful for them? Thanks.

DroidGuineaPig

Cavy Slave
The heavy duty cardboard from Amazon boxes and heavy packaging is bad for them. But toilet paper rolls and paper towel rolls are fine. My pigs love a toilet paper roll stuffed with hay.

lissie

Cavy Slave
Actually, toilet paper rolls and paper towel rolls have glue on them. I wouldn't give them to my pigs.

pigmommy89

Cavy Slave
Actually, toilet paper rolls and paper towel rolls have glue on them. I wouldn't give them to my pigs.

I have had some that didn't have glue, the paper was just wrapped around the cardboard. Those I have used, but I stay away from the ones with glue.

Shannon563

Cavy Slave
How do I get my Guinea Pig use to me? He runs around his cage when I try to pick him up or getting his food bowl.

Is there any tips at all that someone could give me, so he's not so scared of me anymore?

Shannon563

Cavy Slave
So I have a crazy question.. during the winter time, my room sometimes gets a little cold.. not too much though.. is there something I can do to keep my Guinea Pig warm?

lissie

Cavy Slave
You can give them snuggle sacks. They look like small sleeping bags. You can buy them or make your own from fleece.

(broken link removed)

Shannon563

Cavy Slave
Thank you! Another question.. do they get cold easily? Always wondered that.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
No, unless they're skinny pigs. They're just little balls of fat and fur, and being overheated is a much bigger problem for them than being cold. Their ancestors lived in the Andes, and they can tolerate quite cold temperatures for short periods of time. Anything over 85 degrees can give them heat stroke.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.