Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sick What's happening??

Tgrady

Cavy Slave
I realize that guinea pigs can't vomit, but my Frenchie has been repeatedly lurching forward, making a deep guttural noise. My only thought is that it might be the potty pad under her fleece. She peels back the fleece to get to it and goes to town. Is she seriously sick? Are those things safe to chew?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
No, they're not safe to chew. You need to clip the fleece down so she can't get to it, or else change to another kind of bedding.

And if she keeps acting like she's trying to cough it up, you need to get her to an exotic vet. She may have an intestinal obstruction, and that's a big emergency.

Tgrady

Cavy Slave
No, they're not safe to chew. You need to clip the fleece down so she can't get to it, or else change to another kind of bedding.

And if she keeps acting like she's trying to cough it up, you need to get her to an exotic vet. She may have an intestinal obstruction, and that's a big emergency.

I have an appointment set up for this afternoon. I hope to God she'll be okay

lisa325

Cavy Slave
Any update on little Frenchie ?

Tgrady

Cavy Slave
Any update on little Frenchie ?

Um well, it's a bit embarrassing...Her mouth just kept getting stuffed with hay, and possibly some dust from said hay in her throat. My piggies like to eat too fast sometimes.

Rywen

Cavy Slave
I'll take embarrassing over medical emergency any day!

Tgrady

Cavy Slave
I'll take embarrassing over medical emergency any day!

The thing is it's the second time it's happened in less an a month lol. Same situation, different piggy

lisa325

Cavy Slave
Don't be embarrassed, you saw a potential problem with your piggy and you had it investigated. I say that makes you a great piggy mom ��. I'm happy to know it's nothing serious, my Mario eats like he's never seen food before, and I get nervous when he coughs from stuffing his face so quickly, so I know what you mean ��

Tgrady

Cavy Slave
Don't be embarrassed, you saw a potential problem with your piggy and you had it investigated. I say that makes you a great piggy mom ��. I'm happy to know it's nothing serious, my Mario eats like he's never seen food before, and I get nervous when he coughs from stuffing his face so quickly, so I know what you mean ��

Well thank you. I take that as high praise. It was only a bit weird because she sounds different than Cheeseburgers when he hacks

koalamissy

Cavy Slave
Cheeseburger and Frenchie!!!! I LOVE IT!!!! Glad it was nothing serious!! My Abby (Sweet Pea) has coughed a couple of times since I got her and her sister (Cocoa). Of course, it's been when she's burying herself in the hay and stuffing her face!!! Well, duh!!! When I pick up a handful of hay, I try to shake out anything loose or hay dust to avoid this, but they both love to bury themselves. I purchased a hay bag for $25 here at CavyCages, but they would stick their heads in the holes and I was petrified that they would stick themselves in the eyes. Hence, the hay on the floor of the cage. Go figure, silly piggies!!!!

Tgrady

Cavy Slave
Cheeseburger and Frenchie!!!! I LOVE IT!!!! Glad it was nothing serious!! My Abby (Sweet Pea) has coughed a couple of times since I got her and her sister (Cocoa). Of course, it's been when she's burying herself in the hay and stuffing her face!!! Well, duh!!! When I pick up a handful of hay, I try to shake out anything loose or hay dust to avoid this, but they both love to bury themselves. I purchased a hay bag for $25 here at CavyCages, but they would stick their heads in the holes and I was petrified that they would stick themselves in the eyes. Hence, the hay on the floor of the cage. Go figure, silly piggies!!!!

Yes, Cheeseburgers and French Fries. They are my happy meal :)

koalamissy

Cavy Slave
That is still so adorable!!!! I love it!!!!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.