Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pregnancy Pregnant-may be late

• Thread starter 5GPsandcounting
  • Start date

5GPsandcounting

Cavy Slave
Hello guys haven't been on in long time but its been just over a month since I started feeling Mama's babies kicking. I have been waiting for what seems forever and I really have no idea what to do anymore!

Alright so she had two babies last march and I was told one was a female so I kept her and four months later I found out it was a male well giving him a hair cut and a bath.. Anyways I separated them right away but by then she had started showing signs of pregnancy and I was sure until I felt the babies and heard them chattering... The thing is: I heard them chattering extremely active like every second they were kicking-that was a week ago and things have died down terribly. I looked up toxima that's what I thought she had but other then being lazy she as not stopped eating and I want to take her to the vet but they are hour half away so I am not sure if these babies will make it.. It's beyond time and very little movement. I have little hope for the newborns to make it out alive.

To make matter worth I'm moving in two weeks and was hoping for her to give birth because its a four and half hour trip... I plan to cut fresh veggies for her to keep her dehydrated but I have no other choice but to take her. I have no family or friends that will take her. I am the only guinea pig lover in my entire family my mom,grandma, step-dad and grandpa think they are disgusting... So I guess should I risk taking her to the vet or just let it play out and hope for the best? I love her so so much but I'm literally kept between a rock and a hard spot. I only want what's best and the most humane thing possible for her. Thanks to any advise given.

5GPsandcounting

Cavy Slave
Bumping this up...

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
So you separated the male 4 months after March, that would be July or August? So 4 months ago? I'm not sure your guinea pig is pregnant if its been that long. Pregnancy is only 72 days. You should take her to the vet.

guinnymom23

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
@Inle_Rabbit you do have to put in the time that he was just a baby, and not able to reproduce until around 4 weeks old...and that's if the deed was done instantly or took sometime...so she may in fact be pregnant but should have had them by now??

5GPsandcounting

Cavy Slave
No they were born on March 18th I think it was and he was not separated until 4 monthes later. She's pregnant I have felt and heard them. I am pretty sure something's wrong she should have had them by now but I never seen them breed and didn't know until I started feeling the babies so I have no idea when she did breed

5GPsandcounting

Cavy Slave
Yes she should have had them at least two weeks ago if I am calculating it right she would have been breed anytime between may,june or July so August,sept oct and nove it's been past due! I can still feel them so Idk if I insane or what. My sister said she felt them too..

guinnymom23

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
@5GPsandcounting if what you're saying is correct, then [MENTION=19358]Inle_Rabbit[/MENTION] is correct in saying she isn't pregnant. GPs gestation is 72 days max, that's only just over 2 months, with your calculation on when he was separated which would have been July/August, there's no way she would still be pregnant, that's four months = approx 120 days. You need to take her to the vet.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Sorry, if she hasn't been with a male since July, that pig's not pregnant unless the babies died in utero, and she'd likely be dead by now as well. You need to see a vet.

5GPsandcounting

Cavy Slave
Sorry for the late reply I went through my paypal history for when I ordered a new cage I didn't remove him until September. So she was last with a male until two weeks into sep at least.

5GPsandcounting

Cavy Slave
I went through my paypal history she was with him until September sorry for the misunderstanding. The date was making no sence and I ordered a new pet store cage has soo has I found out he was a male :)

Missypigmama

Cavy Slave
If you didn't remove her until the middle of September then she would be due soon if I'm estimating correctly. I would still take her to the vet just to be safe.

5GPsandcounting

Cavy Slave
Okay I have no problem taking her to a vet it's just because I'm worried about stress and the fact she's an older pig. I don't care about the babies but her well being

GuineaPigster

Cavy Slave
Def. take her to the vet especially if you're worried about her. How old is she?

5GPsandcounting

Cavy Slave

I'm not sure. I am guessing she's older I have had her for an year now after Christmas. She was a breeding guinea pig when I got her the lady said she had had 4-5 litters before I got her no idea if it was back breeding or anything. She is however extremely friendly and as been. She's very gentle and doesn't run away when I put my hand in her C&C. I am going to wait a little longer see if she as them by the end of the week. I would rather only make one trip with her then two.

GuineaPigster

Cavy Slave
If she's older than two, a vet visit is extremely important. Their pelvic bone sclose after that, making birth hard or impossible.

Soecara

Cavy Slave
If she's older than two, a vet visit is extremely important. Their pelvic bone sclose after that, making birth hard or impossible.

Unless they have previously had litters, which is the case in this circumstance as her own baby boy impregnated her. This is because as sows get closer to a year old the ligaments begin to lose elasticity meaning they can't widen as far, but giving birth stretches the ligaments to the point where they never quite return to the same tightness.

I would be much more concerned by the fact that she has had an unknown number of litters in an unknown period of time. She may have a higher chance of experiencing complications if she was bred back to back before she came to you, and the fact that it was her son who impregnated her also increases the chance of complications.

Have you checked her pelvic bones? If not you need to do so and see if they have begun to separate. Here is an image I found on Google showing the location of the pelvic bones.

pelvicbone2.jpg

5GPsandcounting

Cavy Slave
Hey thanks for the awesome information! I have attempted twice to feel her pelvic bone to see if it's widening but she gets so upset as soon as I touch anywhere below her stomach or even her bum. She first starts to a popcorn, nudge my hand away with her head, do circles or nip (never hard) so I'm extremely scared of hurting her. Idk if she just doesn't like it or it's sore. I have made a vet appointment for the 20th as I don't drive it's the soonest my mom could take off work. I just prey she does okay until then but she still eats,drinks,poops and can still run around the cage doing popcorns. I check on her several times a day.

joceyann

Cavy Slave
Hey thanks for the awesome information! I have attempted twice to feel her pelvic bone to see if it's widening but she gets so upset as soon as I touch anywhere below her stomach or even her bum. She first starts to a popcorn, nudge my hand away with her head, do circles or nip (never hard) so I'm extremely scared of hurting her. Idk if she just doesn't like it or it's sore. I have made a vet appointment for the 20th as I don't drive it's the soonest my mom could take off work. I just prey she does okay until then but she still eats,drinks,poops and can still run around the cage doing popcorns. I check on her several times a day.

Tifa was doing the same thing. She became more sensitive the closer it came to her due date. She still ran around and jumped. Ate a ton and drank a lot of water too. Had to fill her water several times a day. Are you still able to feel them move? Maybe soon she will have her pups :)

5GPsandcounting

Cavy Slave
Tifa was doing the same thing. She became more sensitive the closer it came to her due date. She still ran around and jumped. Ate a ton and drank a lot of water too. Had to fill her water several times a day. Are you still able to feel them move? Maybe soon she will have her pups :)

Hey I'm extremely sad to say that there is no movement on one side for two days since I last felt them and once side of her stomach has gone hard... Which I have heard could mean stillborn. :'( I think she might be two weeks or sooner there was one movement I felt today but nothing else... I think they are dying.

joceyann

Cavy Slave
Hey I'm extremely sad to say that there is no movement on one side for two days since I last felt them and once side of her stomach has gone hard... Which I have heard could mean stillborn. :'( I think she might be two weeks or sooner there was one movement I felt today but nothing else... I think they are dying.

Don't give up hope just yet. You never know. Tifas tummy got hard before birth. Actually a couple days before it. I didn't feel Tifas babies for a day. I understand how you feel. Just keep your head up and be there for her. they could come out healthy. But yes there is still that chance though. But I was told it could mean there's no room to move. But idk call your vet tell him or her what's going on and get some advice.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.