Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Conditions Abby's Medical Thread Part Two

MaiaBex

Cavy Slave
I'm going to start out by apologizing to [MENTION=13820]bpatters[/MENTION] if this wasn't the right way to do this, but it was the best I could think of. I just thought it would make more sense going forward if Abby's thread was connected to my user name. I attached the link to Abby's original medical thread.

https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/122440-Abby-s-medical-thread

Quick update: no, Abby was not pregnant, and whatever was causing the itching has cleared up. She's a happy and healthy little princess.

Full story... it turns out that petluv and I don't live that far apart, and we started PMing and then emailing to discuss Abby and her issues. Since Abby was an only pig, petluv was concerned that her health issues were at least partly due to loneliness. In the end, she decided that it would be better for Abby's health if Abby moved in with my pig Tannim. It was a very difficult decision for petluv, and she did it completely out of love for Abby. So we set up a meeting and transferred Abby and her belongings to my care.

After a short span of them being in separate cages (I needed time to construct something large enough for two pigs), I introduced Tannim and Abby, and it went well. Abby was completely over the moon to have another guinea pig to talk to, and Tannim... well, he wasn't quite as enchanted, but he took it in stride. Pretty much told Abby to behave herself and otherwise ignored her. At this point, I'll hear occasional grumbling when Tannim thinks Abby is being too much of a pest, but otherwise they get along fine. (Sort of a big brother-little sister vibe to them.)

Yes, I've double-checked, and yes, they are male and female. However, Tannim is very definitely neutered, so pregnancy is completely out of the question now. (Although Abby does "flirt" with him when she's in heat... but Tannim just looks very bewildered, chatters at her, and runs away!)

Since Abby moved in with Tannim, she hasn't looked back. She's very definitely a little princess, but no further health issues. She's even been eating her peppers like a good little piggy! And she decided that if Oxbow is good for Tannim, then it's good for her too. They have their own hideys and their own food bowls, but they constantly share back and forth. I've been keeping petluv updated on how her princess is doing, and now all of you are updated as well.

Life is looking good for Princess Abby!

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
What a great story......and storyteller!

I had a similar situation with my cavies in the past (my avatar). Chester's brother died and he was an only piggy for a year. He was quite bonded to us, but then I built a large C&C cage and we could definitely see that he was lonely. I was gifted with this beautiful purebred Texel whom we named Maya who was about 3 mos. old. Chester had been neutered by that time so a female roommate seemed appropriate. It was literally love-at-first-sight for the two of them. Chester took one look at her and realized that he wasn't the only piggy in the world.

I wish I had shot of video of the first time she went into heat! She relentlessly followed him around the cage humping him at every opportunity. Poor Chester had absolutely no idea what was going on and initially thought it a play for dominance, but soon realized that it was something else. He had been neutered since he was five months old and had no idea that his penis was good for anything other than a waterspout. Maya adored Chester and would be close to him anytime he would permit. But the relationship was definitely as you describe, big brother/little sister.

It sounds a though the Abby/Tannim combo has been good for both, even if Tannim wouldn't admit it. Thanks for sharing their story with us.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.