Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Photos First Rex born in the rescue

RodentCuddles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
We've had a busy start to the year. Due to the fact we now get every Guinea Pig that comes into the rescue de-sexed, we have had to limit the amount of surrenders we can take in due to the cost. However, we never turn down taking in a group, especially if there are males and females, as we don't want them to go to someone who will use them to breed and create more.

So far this year, we've picked up a group of 12 - 8 males and 4 males. All have been spayed and neutered and luckily none of the girls were pregnant.
Then we picked up 7 - 2 males and 5 females. The two males are de-sexed but none of the girls are yet as four we have on pregnancy watch and the other one currently is caring for her 18 day old baby girls; Snap, Crackle & Pop (they will stay as a trio).

On Friday we picked up 4 more. 3 males and one heavily pregnant female. They all were/are suffering from a bad case of mites and fungal. One of the boys is blind in one eye and all the boys have bits of their ears bitten off.
Today, Whaea, the heavily pregnant female from that group gave birth to four adorable little babies. All have different coat types.

Because we don't breed, we don't ever plan to have babies and so only have babies born here if the female comes in pregnant. We've never had a baby rex before, almost every other breed but no curly haired breeds. Until today.

Here is little rex boy (possible name is Mingimingi)

This is the other little boy, a little Ridgeback or abby x.

Little Crested girl...(possible name is Tukemata)

And smooth coat girl...(possible name is maheni )

We pick themes for each group that comes in, they are then named something that relates to the theme. For the first group it was Flowers.second was breakfast and for this group, all their names are Maori.

I just thought I'd post, so you could all see some baby pictures!

For pictures of their mum and the three boys she came in with (one is their dad..I think it is the crested boy!) you can see my FB post about them here - https://www.facebook.com/CavyCareRescue/posts/945372182148755

pinky

Cavy Slave
His hair looks curly so I'd say he's probably a texel. Rexes and teddies have more bristle-like hair like the one in the other photo. None of mine have ever had curls or waves, even as pups, although I've had some with rougher and softer fur. I'm interested in seeing what he looks like as he gets older so please update with photos. I'd like to see if it straightens out. Either way, he's just too cute!!!

Fay

Cavy Slave
Aww! It's so fluffy! :eek:

piggielover200

Cavy Slave
SO CUTE!! I really wish I could get another girl and have a happy little trio!

Rywen

Cavy Slave
Wow, you certainly have your hands full right now! The babies are adorable!

animalmadlover

Cavy Slave
Awrrrr, so cute! You take very good pictures. I admire the work that you do :)

RodentCuddles

Cavy Slave
Sadly mum isn't doing well. She is eating, and drinking but yesterday at 6pm (she gave birth around 11-ish) her temperature was 39.6C ..the vets said to keep an eye on her. I just checked again and it's 40.1C.

Our vets are currently moving out of the building they were in and have no where to go, so can not see her. The other vets have yet to phone me back, and I may have to get a friend to take me as my family has family coming over today from another country and so is busy.

Our vets said it could be an infection and antibiotics may be all she needs, but of course they haven't seen her and are only going by her temp.

She is very skinny (670 grams) and still looks to be suffering from mites (I did not treat her when she came in as she was going to give birth any time and I did not want to risk it hurting the babies since they were so close to being born I thought I'd wait a couple days).

Anyone have experience? I'll be calling a third vet soon.

We imported baby guinea pig food from Australia so if need be we can feed the babies (we also have CC). But my main concern is mum.

Last edited:

Kelly9

Cavy Slave
Good luck with mum, I hope she pulls through. You are a wonderful person! Thank you for all the great baby pictures.

RodentCuddles

Cavy Slave
I spent the Easter holidays at the Animal Sanctuary but mum called me on Easter Sunday to let me know that little Miss Maple had given birth to two big pups.
Black and White boy (Oreo) and an almost pure jet black girl.

Some of my fav photos I took - The hens are all rescued battery hens, and the white chicks are 4 week old rescued broilers.

piggielover200

Cavy Slave
AWW Love all the pictures!

Rywen

Cavy Slave
Great photos, all of the animals are cute, I really like the goat, lol.

RodentCuddles

Cavy Slave
Little Minigmingi and his brother Hemi have said bye to their mum and sisters, and are doing well.

I do believe that Minigmingi is a merino...

This big boy, born at 124 grams was born yesterday which has put our current baby numbers up to 10..

3littlepigz

Cavy Slave
My teeth are hurting from all of the sweetness!!!! What beautiful pictures! They are all so incredibly cute!!!

RodentCuddles

Cavy Slave
Hemi, Oreo and Mingimingi are currently all living together and little baby boy will join them when he is older.

The plan is that after they are de-sexed, to pair Hemi & Mingimingi each with one of their sisters and Oreo with his sister, we currently don't have a plan for who little new abby boy could be paired with, possibly his mum but saying that we aim for pairs that are around the same age as each other.

RodentCuddles

Cavy Slave
The boys in a clean cage..happy popcorns! Best bit (or funniest in my opinion) is at 3:25 - 3:30

[video=youtube;5UkPyylp_dw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UkPyylp_dw[/video]

Piggly12

Cavy Slave
That’s it. I am flying to New Zealand to steal all your gorgeous widdle fluffy wuffies!!! :D
They are adorable, jumping all over the place! They sort of tumble about, all over the place!
And they all have such huge feeeeets!!!

Did poor Mum make it?

Also, did you make the cozies and tunnels, or buy them, and if you made them, how did you do it?
Thanks

Fay

Cavy Slave
They're so cute I nearly imploded with adorableness! So fluffy :D

piggielover200

Cavy Slave
I cant wait until they are back with there sisters.

Piggly12

Cavy Slave
@RodentCuddles, you have a great camera! It has focussed on every hair beautifully!
The pictures look like the professional, dreamyish ones that you see around the internet, if that makes sense... How do you do it? I love the way you focussed on just the face, then blurred the background somehow. It looks really professional!

Is there a specific type of light, camera angle, setting etc? Also what camera did you use?
Thanks!

P.S. Your baby boys look like pompoms bouncing everywhere!

80s_piggies

Cavy Slave
Isn't there a law protecting unsuspecting visitors from this level of cuteness?!?!?! I can't even take it! I watched that and had to lay my head down on my desk for a second LOL :love:

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.