Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Weight New piggy kinda thin

beckielynn

Cavy Slave
Ok, I adopted a piggie from a local person who didn't have time for him anymore, and he is thin. Like I can feel his bones when I pet him. He is a crested, black and white, don't know if that makes a difference. She said he was no where near a year old. The vet said he is healthy, just skinny. What do you recommend to fatten him up a bit?

kananaka

Cavy Slave
Access to good hay, fresh veggies and good pellets. I bet he did not have a proper diet before.

Petlovr

Cavy Slave
I feed unlimited pellets until they reach proper weight. If there are any health concerns, (like with Bob, the bumblefoot pig I had on Baytril for a month) I go to alfalfa pellets for the extra nutrition. I've also given alfalfa hay to an underweight pig in addition to the alfalfa pellets. Always, of course, umlimited hay and water, and the usual amount of veggies. With the change in diet, you might want to give a probiotic if you have any around. It won't hurt to give it. You want the pig to gain weight slowly, not really fast, and just watch his urine to make sure he's handling the extra calcium ok. Back off if the urine is white or gritty. Good luck. I'm still trying to get Bob to gain weight. Maybe now that I've stopped the Baytril he'll gain more. I hate how skinny and frail he looks.

ILoveMillie

Cavy Slave
I would give unlimited or more than 1/8-1/4 cup of timothy pellets like @Petlovr said. When I get new fosters that need some fattening up they get unlimited pellets.

beckielynn

Cavy Slave
Thanks! They all have unlimited hay and pellets and water. He hates lettuce, only wants carrots... I shall try diff veggies tomorrow.

beckielynn

Cavy Slave
He likes green leaf lettuce, cilantro, and squash.. strange lil bugger. My others loved the tomato and strawberries they got today.

Silverwind

Cavy Slave
My little George is very thin too. I give unlimited hay(right.now its orchard grass, because there was no alfalfa in oxbow, and I figured it would be better to fee good qualtiy orchard grass than cheap dusty alfalfa. ) I think hes improving but Im not sure. What type of scale is recomended
? Would a digital food scale work to weight him?

pinky

Cavy Slave
My little George is very thin too. I give unlimited hay(right.now its orchard grass, because there was no alfalfa in oxbow, and I figured it would be better to fee good qualtiy orchard grass than cheap dusty alfalfa. ) I think hes improving but Im not sure. What type of scale is recomended
? Would a digital food scale work to weight him?

Don't feed alfalfa after your guinea pig reaches 6 months of age. It's high in calcium and can lead to bladder stones.

Silverwind

Cavy Slave
Thank you Pinky, my piggies are only 2-3months old.

HannibalLecter

Cavy Slave
I fed critical care in a thicker consistency on a plate when I first got my quite malnourished pigs, in addition to good hay, veggies & pellets of course.

When feeding "unlimited" pellets, make sure your pig doesn't eat too much which will lessen the needed hay intake. More than 1/4 cup isn't needed, and the pig will most likely gain weight slowly with a good diet unless there is an illness behind it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.