Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fur Fur greasy stuck together, but way above grease gland

wheekermommy

Cavy Slave
Hi all,

So my guinea pig Little Bear has a had a greasy spot on her back for quite some time now. My vet told me it was just her grease gland that is becoming active. However, I was looking at pictures and the area is much higher then above an imaginary tail. I took a closer look and I realized the fur is clumped together, white almost with a greasy/powdery feel. I used some coconut oil to help break it apart and it seemed to help but I checked today and it is still there. What could this be? I did start ivermectin treatment for mites 3 weeks ago but I noticed this spot on her for months now. I attached pictures Is this normal? It doesn't seem to bother her, but I can't imagine all the stuck together fur is comfortable.

25991313_1733106846735913_925328327_o.jpg25829562_1733106796735918_760811692_o.jpg25829837_1733106690069262_248625505_o.jpg

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
That's definitely not her grease gland, and if that's what the vet thinks it is, you need to look for another vet.

Can you wash that stuff out? Does it change at all? Is there any swollen area underneath it?

It's possible that it's a leaking sebaceous cyst. If you can wash all the gunk off, then part the hair and see if you see a small hole with gunk coming out.

wheekermommy

Cavy Slave
That's definitely not her grease gland, and if that's what the vet thinks it is, you need to look for another vet.

Can you wash that stuff out? Does it change at all? Is there any swollen area underneath it?

It's possible that it's a leaking sebaceous cyst. If you can wash all the gunk off, then part the hair and see if you see a small hole with gunk coming out.

Wow I thought I replied to this, I did end up checking no hole or anything leaking. For a while the greasy spot was doing better then when I was combing her out after a bath I noticed lots of dandruff, black/grey clumps/flakes and tons of fur shedding, enough to leave a small little patch of missing hair. This sounds odd but the grey flakes reminded me of mold almost.

I have also noticed her and the other two scratching but no visible hairloss or scaly patches typical of a fungal infection. I have both ivermectin and Nizoral should I just treat with both as a precaution?

My houses has been drier as well and I have been meaning to get a humidifier. I read teddies are prone to skin issues but feel like this is excessive. They all get KMS pellets, bell pepper and veg every day with occasional oxbow vit c tab so I doubt it is a nutrition issue.

Thanks for the help!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'd treat with the Nizoral. Mites don't generally just infest one nickel-sized area. You'd almost certainly be seeing generalized scratching.

wheekermommy

Cavy Slave
I'd treat with the Nizoral. Mites don't generally just infest one nickel-sized area. You'd almost certainly be seeing generalized scratching.

Well, now that you mention it I don't think I have seen her scratch there. I would say the scratching is usually on their face or side. Again not enough to cause fur or weight loss, but enough where I notice them scratching/occasional biting.

Part of me is thinking to treat for mites then do Nizoral. Just because if it could be mites I don't want them hurting the guinea pigs during the bath. What do you think? Is it possible to overtreat with Ivermectin and create a super bug?

For the Nizoral do I have to disinfect the cage/accessories after each bath, to include replacing tunnels and forests? I usually do a vinegar/water mixture to clean coroplast, water bottles and food dishes.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It's possible to overtreat with ivermectin and kill the pig, but I don't think you'll create a superbug.

If you're treating for fungus, you need to throw out anything that's made of wood, disinfecting anything plastic with bleach solution, and wash anything washable in hot water and bleach and run it through the dryer.

wheekermommy

Cavy Slave
It's possible to overtreat with ivermectin and kill the pig, but I don't think you'll create a superbug.

If you're treating for fungus, you need to throw out anything that's made of wood, disinfecting anything plastic with bleach solution, and wash anything washable in hot water and bleach and run it through the dryer.

Roger that. I make certain to verify their weights and then check my husband drew the medicine correctly before dosing.

Alright, that will be my new weekend routine then for the next month. I have been avoiding it but I think that's what I have been doing wrong. Thanks for the feedback! I will update later on a (hopeful) improvement.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.